X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Honestly? Lots and lots of beer.
    That's your answer for *everything*.

As for me, I just hurry into the back room and punch empty boxes. Works reasonably well for me.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I used to spend my time when dealing with idiot customers working out how best to post it on here as to make people shit themselves laughing.

That kept me sane.

Rapscallion

Comment

Rant about it here. Just remember that you're better than they are. At least you don't frequent fast food just to put people down.
        Check out my cosplay social group!
        http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I am in the SCA, and a lot of us research old tomes, looking for period curses. The medieval mind was great at coming up with curses that would wilt fresh lettuce.

May all the teeth in your head fall out, ecxept one, and in that one may you have such a toothache!

Of course, you could always read my book, "Paranoia, and how to cure it by killing your enemies" ROFLMAO )
          Last edited by Starlord; 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
            I have worked the fast food business for over twenty years, I did this by choice...
            Nothing personal, but I am now convinced you are totally and completely insane.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            That's your answer for *everything*.
            Hey, why argue with success?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

I used to get angry at idiot customers while working in the pizza place, then a collegue gave me some good advice; firstly, smile broadly at an in the flesh customer, and put on a chirpy voice while dealing with an on the phone customer; second, if it's a matter of store policy that they're asking you to break, then repeat over and over that it's store policy.

I found her method really helpful and worked well, even now I'm in a supermarket, it still works. XD What can they do, complain "She was being nice to me and smiling!"

Also, if you can, get your manager to deal with it. You know why? Saying "I'll get the manager" makes most SCs feel important, like you're taking them seriously (even if you're thinking "I'll get the manager so that you're out of my hair, you stupid old bat) so they will mostly just calm down there and then. Also the manager is paid more than you so it's up to them to deal with SCs who are being unreasonable, and if they then decide to bend store policy for said SC, it's they who are taking responsibility for such an action.

If all else fails, do a V sign or flip the bird at the customer behind the counter where they can't see. Immature I know, but it sure does help.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

A few thoughts
                • Don't take it personal. They don't know you, and you don't know them.
                • You are working in a service industry...serving people as customers...people have a tendancy to suck (hence the name of the website) Remember, if they aren't sucky to you then they will be sucky to someone else.
                • Look at it as the perfect opportunity to obtain great tid bits for the forum. If you lose your temper, you will forget important details leaving us high and dry.
                • Don't forget to laugh (not at the customers but later) laughter is a great stress reliever, life is supposed to be fun enjoy it.
                Tamezin

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Hey, why argue with success?
                  Good point.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm taking Jester's advice right now...
                    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

It does work. I personally LOVE being so polite and professional it borders on rude and insulting. If that fails I have my 'customer service face'. It is blankly polite and sympathetic, and I just keep repeating 'I'm sorry, I cannot do that for you. Would you like me to get a manager?'

edit- but sometimes I still get people who are SO UPSETTING i get cold and shaky all over and need a little cry. I'm human after all...
                      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

I went to McD's the other day and, not seeing the drinks section on the menu and feeling rushed in the drive through, I asked what kind of drinks they had. I don't know if it was me or the speaker, but I could SWEAR the guy said, "Cold!" and being as it was a hot day, I thought he was being funny. I found it humorous. I had to clarify my statement, "What product? Pepsi? Coke?" and then the speaker rang true with a clear reply of Coke. I had to apologize to the guy and explain that I thought he said cold. Guess it was funny for both of us.

So, even though the people you deal with may be hateful, the problem may be a simple communications issue most of the time. A simple, "I'm sorry you feel that way" statement can do a lot to calming these situations down, as I've found out. The best part of that line is that you're in no way apologizing for what happened, just that they feel they've got a giant stick shoved in a very uncomfortable place and perhaps you are sorry that it's not a larger stick.
                        Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
                          ...A simple, "I'm sorry you feel that way" statement can do a lot to calming these situations down, as I've found out. The best part of that line is that you're in no way apologizing for what happened, just that they feel they've got a giant stick shoved in a very uncomfortable place and perhaps you are sorry that it's not a larger stick.
                          that's very good advice. By saying, "I'm sorry you feel that way" you are in no way admitting fault for the situation, yet you are acknowledging the person's feelings and perspective. Very tactful.
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            Also, if you can, get your manager to deal with it. You know why? Saying "I'll get the manager" makes most SCs feel important, like you're taking them seriously (even if you're thinking "I'll get the manager so that you're out of my hair, you stupid old bat) so they will mostly just calm down there and then. Also the manager is paid more than you so it's up to them to deal with SCs who are being unreasonable, and if they then decide to bend store policy for said SC, it's they who are taking responsibility for such an action.
                            Unfortunately for me, since I'm a Supervisor here at the library, you're right.

It's amazing how it works, though. I can repeat the exact same thing the SC heard from the other staff person, "sorry but that's the rule," and the SC will usually be like, oh ... ok. I hate that, cause it makes the other staff person feel like what they say doesn't matter. I mean, I've been on that end so many times, and I'm like, why does it make a difference who says it?
                            Last edited by Ill_Used_Heroine; 07-19-2007, 05:05 AM.
                            I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

Lots of great advice in this thread.

I would say that every time you get someone who is acting upsetting, to just think about how you're going to share their suckyness with us here later.

Turn their suckyness into fodder for amusement. Know that hundreds of people all around the world are going to be mocking the jerks who can't figure out how to be civil in public.

And, as another poster pointed out, remember that at the end of the day, you can go home and experience non-suckyness, but they bring the suck with them and choose to wallow in it all the time.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X