This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the CIA dine and dasher

I recently got "promoted" to bartender at the restaurant I work at. Although it's a casual place, because of the location the prices are a little high. One lunch shift a few weeks ago, my supervisor was helping me out while I took some tables on the floor. A middle aged man came in and sat at the bar. He ordered a beer and was asked for his ID. We usually card anyone who looks under 40 years old.

Sup: Sorry I can't serve you alcohol if you can't provide proof of legal age.
    Man: I don't carry any ID on me because I work for the government. They don't allow us to be identified in the sector I work in. Besides, I come here all the time and was never asked.
    Sup: [makes a weird face but serves him anyway since he is clearly over 21.]

So a little less than an hour passes and I finally get a chance to talk to this guy.

Me: Doing okay there sir?
    Man: The Check. Can I have more olives?

He leaves the money on the counter and walks out. A tab was almost $4 [1 beer + tax], he leaves $2. I notify my supervisor who tells me that after he served the beer, the man asked if we served any free food. I guess the sector he works in doesn't pay very much.

Unless he showed some sort of official ID, I would have assumed he was lying.

Even undercover CIA agents have to have some sort of ID with their official alias on it. After all, they are trying to blend in with everyone else, right?
    DJ Particle

Comment

To say nothing of driving a car or boarding a plane or...pretty much anything that would ordinarily require one to show any form of ID really.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Simple logic, if you are in a level of government that doesn't allow you to identify yourself.. you sure as HELL wouldn't be telling a random bartender about it!

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
          Simple logic, if you are in a level of government that doesn't allow you to identify yourself.. you sure as HELL wouldn't be telling a random bartender about it!
          Exactly. And if you have an official alias, you're going to have a driver's license and social security card to go along with it. Does he give this bull* to the cops when he gets pulled over for speeding?

And I'm guessing the olives were the only "free food" they'd give him?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

People will make anything up. I once had a guy come up to me outside a restuarant, giving me some story about how he was a soldier stuck in town who needed money to get a bus to his hometown or something. I just cocked an eyebrow at him and asked to see his dogtags. After a split-second of his blank stare, I already knew he hadn't thought that far ahead.

"Look, if you're going to swindle people for money, at least think of a story that's not so easy to disprove," I said to him frankly. Or something to that affect; it was a year ago. And he just spun around and walked off, didn't say a word.

It's not your fault, though. I can understand the sentiment of, "Right, well, I'm clearly not breaking the law, so let's make the process of dealing with the crazy go as smoothly as possible." How could you know he was going to gyp you?

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
              People will make anything up. I once had a guy come up to me outside a restuarant, giving me some story about how he was a soldier stuck in town who needed money to get a bus to his hometown or something. I just cocked an eyebrow at him and asked to see his dogtags. After a split-second of his blank stare, I already knew he hadn't thought that far ahead.
              I once got someone like that. He wasn't begging for money but he claimed to be in the Army and wanted the Armed Forces discount we offered at the theater I was working in, and said he'd lost his ID card and hadn't been able to get a new one yet. I smelled bullshit right there since they can made a replacement ID in about 30 minutes (I know, I had an Airforce Dependant ID until I was 18) and this was at a theater. I asked him what his MoS was, and he replied "Uh... erm... ONE!"

Needless to say, he didn't get the discount.

Oh, and for those that don't know, MoS means Mode of Service. As far as I know it's always at least a letter and number, usually more than one number.
              Last edited by JustADude; 07-15-2007, 08:35 AM.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

something sort of like that happend at a bank i was at.

a bank robbery at a navy federal

mom and i are walking in to the bank, and as we are going through the door this older looking guy in a pfc uniform (proably in his 40's) comes running out. as we walk in, there are 2 marines in running shorts sprinting after the guy, right as we walk in the door they close and lock it.

this guy, actually thought that he could get away with wearing a pfc uniform, the age he is in a military bank and not look suspicous. the 2 marines were on to him right away and were watching to see what he would do since it was sooooo unusual.

and all of us who were locked in the bank giving our statements (for a few hours at least 3 i cant remember) were all talking about how this old guy in a pfc uniform didnt seem right and they were all leary of him.

btw those marines chased him down tackled him on the side walk about 100 yards down the road.
                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
                  something sort of like that happend at a bank i was at.

a bank robbery at a navy federal

btw those marines chased him down tackled him on the side walk about 100 yards down the road.
                  one thing I see wrong with this guys plan from the get-go.

Navy Federal...

thats it right there...

those two words say it all.

and Marines are just awesome.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post

Oh, and for those that don't know, MoS means Mode of Service. As far as I know it's always at least a letter and number, usually more than one number.
                    MOS = Military Occupational Specialty

It's the enlisted personnel's primary skill for which they've been trained. You may have the training but your day-to-day duties could be something entirely different.

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                      I would imagine that at that level you'd get fake ID that would be in the system as genuine.

Rapscallion

Comment

A well-known element of the spook world is that when one establishes an identity, they have a packet prepared to support their fake identity. It usually includes,but is not limited to: Driver's License, Social Security card, credit cards, photographs, receipts from businesses in the area you suppposedly reside in, ticket stubs from local theaters, membership cards for clubs or fraternal organizations. No spook is ever going to attract unwantted attention by making a statement, that if true, would scream "SPOOK!" Spook is a word used by agents to describe themselves.

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
                          I love Marines, they know how to get things done. I guess I have a thing for men in uniform...
                          Check out my cosplay social group!
                          http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post

It's the enlisted personnel's primary skill for which they've been trained. You may have the training but your day-to-day duties could be something entirely different.
                            My bad. It's been years since I heard the term. At least I got the acronym right.

I am correct that there is no MOS 1, though, right?
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post

Well there's also the secondary MOS. Sometimes the speciality doesn't get used all that much, and they give you other duties. As a Tank- blower- upper (0351 Anti tank assaultman) I also got the side duties as demolitions (which I $#$#$ing LOVED!!! Don't believe me.. go see my YouTube of the 4th!!)

And yeah.. I'm a Jarhead!

Comment

Working...
                              X