X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irk

Phone rings-

Me: "Standard Greeting."
    NYSC (not yet SC): "Hello, I was wondering if you're store carries the movie Sordid Lives?"
    Me: "Let me check the computer...*typing*... No, we don't carry it."
    NYSC: *sounds a little disappointed* "Oh, okay. Thanks."
    Me: "You're welcome have a nice night."

Me: Goes on about my business for about 2 minutes.

Phone rings-
    Me: "Standard Greeting."
    NSC (Now SC): "Yes. I just called about the movie Sordid Lives."
    Me: "Yes."
    NSC: "It's spelled S-O-R-D-I-D."
    Me: "Yes, I know that, thank-you."
    NSC: *snorts* "Oh, well fine!"
    NSC: *hangs up on me*

"I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Yes, because heaven forbid that only those who are SCs know how to spell.

If I had a nickel for every funky spelled company that we service...I'd have a bagful of nickels to use in the vending machines.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

My first thought was that the SC felt you might have checked 'sorted'. When I saw the two words, there's only a tiiiiiiiny inflection difference between them. (I have a bit of an odd accent in that I've lived so many places I kind of mix them all together...except when I'm very tired, and then I have a marked Southern drawl.)

It doesn't excuse sucky behavior at all, but it might explain the reason for the second call.
      It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

I hate it when customers spell things out in this fashion:

I'm looking for a book by Davis! That's "D" as in "dog", "A" as in "apple", "V" as in "van", "I" as in "in" and "S" as in "soup"!
        "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Deanna Darkstone View Post
          I hate it when customers spell things out in this fashion:

I'm looking for a book by Davis! That's "D" as in "dog", "A" as in "apple", "V" as in "van", "I" as in "in" and "S" as in "soup"!
          I hate it when they do it for simple things like Davis but I hate it more when their surname has no vowels and is 50 letters long and they get hissy if you ask them to spell it. My surname goes NM so I always says N for Nelly and M for matthew to be helpful!

Comment

Quoth Wicked_Lexi View Post
            I hate it when they do it for simple things like Davis but I hate it more when their surname has no vowels and is 50 letters long and they get hissy if you ask them to spell it.
            We get people like this *all* the time at work. On the phones, with all the varied accents we deal with, sometimes I can't understand things. But it's always people with simple, common names who spell them and even use words for letters, and people with crazy names I've never heard that act like I'm a jerk for asking.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

That is one of my pet peeves. I can spell Smith. I probably will have less success with Czqircwqkzuiejgi (pronounced like Cargo, of course).

My last name has an S, M, and P in it, so I will usually say S as in Sam, M as in Mary, P as in Peter. I don't feel the need to clarify the vowels, or the R, though.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I just had to check the INMb for Sorrid Lives and what is the tag line for the movie?

A black comedy about white trash.
                "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                  My first thought was that the SC felt you might have checked 'sorted'. ...
                  I know that's exactly what she thought. However, her tone of voice was like she suddenly thought she was talking to a moron. I could almost see her sitting there at her kitchen table, sipping her whiskey, when the light dinged on and she decided I was stupid...
                  "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                    I know that's exactly what she thought. However, her tone of voice was like she suddenly thought she was talking to a moron. I could almost see her sitting there at her kitchen table, sipping her whiskey, when the light dinged on and she decided I was stupid...
                    If she had used a normal tone of voice and that pesky 'logic' stuff, she wouldn't be a SC.

Sorry if my last post sounded snappish, I understood what you meant but it's hard to convey feelings in text.
                    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

I've had to spell my maiden name to people a lot growing up, despite it being a supposedly simple one to figure out.

Of course, I think it's because my maiden name was Holyoak, and I grew up in NY (Holyoke is a town in Massachusetts). So I got used to saying "Holyasinbibleoakasintree" when telling people my name. 13 years in that school district and the school administration still routinely misspelled it.

Then I went to school out in Utah, where my Holyoak relatives live. Everyone could spell the name just fine out there. They just couldn't pronounce it. (I'm sorry, "Holly" has two L's, not one. )
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                        Sorry if my last post sounded snappish, I understood what you meant but it's hard to convey feelings in text.
                        Nope, not at all- I knew what you meant.

~TechSmith 314

Comment

We used to have a deputy when I was a dispatcher who thought he was a real comedian.

Me: Unit XX go ahead.
                          XX: Request license and wants/warrant (10-28and 10-29)
                          Me: go ahead
                          XX Last name Smith Sam Mary Ida Tom Henry
                          Me: XX, 10 29 negative copy 10-28
                          Later that night:
                          Me: XX, go ahead
                          XX: request 10-28 and 10-29
                          Me: go ahead
                          XX Ishamura, Hyamayukawa Common spelling

I wanted to strangle him.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                            We get people like this *all* the time at work. On the phones, with all the varied accents we deal with, sometimes I can't understand things. But it's always people with simple, common names who spell them and even use words for letters, and people with crazy names I've never heard that act like I'm a jerk for asking.
                            I had one of those the other day.

I'm the person in the office that processes all of the credit card payments we get, and sometimes, I have to call a customer in order to straighten out information, or get new information when a card gets rejected.

So I'm dealing with this one lady on the phone, and she not only has a thick accent, but she also can't be bothered to actually enunciate or even make an attempt at speaking clearly at all.

So we get to the point where I need the name of the person whose name is on the credit card, and the conversation goes something like this (first name changed to protect the innocent):

Me: She of the numbers
                            MM: Mush Mouth
                            [my thoughts in brackets]

Me: And the name that the card is under?
                            MM: Michael Huhmumble
                            Me: I'm sorry, could you repeat that please?
                            MM: *slowly* Michael Huhmumble
                            Me: [no shit, the first name is Michael...] Could you spell that, please?
                            MM: M as in Mary. I as in Iron. C as in Cat. H as in Harry.
                            Me: [how stupid do you think I am, lady... how could I not know how to spell Michael? it's only the 4th most popular name for a guy in the US]
                            MM: A as in Apple. E as in Each. L as in Larry. *big pause*
                            Me: [it's a good thing for you there's a phone between us, 'cause I'm about ready to throttle you]
                            MM: H as in Harry. O as in Orange. N as in Nancy. E as in Each. Y as in Yellow.

Honey. They guy's last name was Honey! But this woman has such appalling enunciation that it took her taking the time to spell it before I knew what it was she was trying to say. I honestly thought the guy's last name was Huntley, by the way she said it.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Paging Michael Huntley, Michael Huntley to the front counter... has anyone seen Mike Huntley?"

Sorry, I didn't have anything else to contribute.
                              "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Working...
                              X