This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice from you guys

I'm worried that the asshole customers at my job at McDonald's are going to drive me insane (don't worry, not literally crazy, just to the point where I do something that gets me fired). I need advice from you guys on how to keep cool when they start pushing me too far. I've come close yelling at these people, so I need to know how to remain assertive, not aggressive.

And, yes, I am looking for a new job that's more suitable, but in the meantime, I'd like to know how you guys keep your sanity and (forgive me for being melodramatic) spirit intact.
    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

I remind myself:
    Hey, humans have bad days. We all do.
    Are they actually mad at me? No.
    They're angry at *something*.
    I'm just the closest thing they can holler at.

Does this bother me? (yes or no choice here)
    No this does not. The things that bother me are : (insert big issues here).
    This person cannot make me feel bad.

*take deep breath here*

Ma'am, Sir, Please calm down. I can help you better when we both understand.
    What exactly are you upset about?

No, I did NOT make your sandwich. I delivered it to you. What exactly are you unhappy about with the sandwich? The lettuce is not up to par? I'm sorry. Would you like new lettuce? I have new lettuce in the fridge. (example).

No I did NOT create the fries you're eating. I delivered that to you. What exactly are you unhappy about with the fries? They're too salty? OK. If you give me those fries...I can make some fresh ones. NO? You've eaten them already. Ok, Let me speak to manager. (tell boss asswipe ate fries and wants more).
    Sir, we will not be allowed to give you more fries. You ate the unacceptable ones, and due to accounting, we need to show WHY we give things out. Next time you're in, remind me you want low salt, and I'll have a batch just for you.

95% of the crap people fling at you is their anger from some outside source, like thier paycheck bounced or something.. Then they're near you, SOMETHING isn't perfect, they pounce on the flaw and release bottled crap.

You have to wear a big rainjacket. Thick. Dense. Calm. Understanding.
    Remember: it's THEIR issues, not yours. See how I wanted IssuePerson to explain the flaw they found? It would require them to stop, think and pinpoint their problem. Sometimes that will remind them....the wilted lettuce is less important than the bounced paycheck; sometimes not.

Find a release that is acceptable for YOUR bottled crap. Exercise, sunshine, something to get endorphins running. You need to find a way to deal with this crap. Writing helps, so does talking about it...but remember, you venting your anger towards someone can burden them. Just like Person venting/screaming/hollering will burden you. So return the energy/anger/issues back to Earth (spiritual kick here).

Learn yoga. Meditiation. Deep Breathing techniques. Sports. Sex. (yes, that does help).

And the better you are at not absorbing their crap, the more mature you are...and the better you'll look in life.

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I was going to give a condensed version of Cutenoob's ideas. I tend to try to just take a deep breath, and try to remember that they really aren't made at me. Then I sit and gloat about the fact that I'm generally a good enough person to not take my anger out on people who do not deserve it.

Also, in a less mature manner, I'm a big fan of obscene hand gestures when the customer can't see, and coming on here to vent. Oh, and smoking--I think I like it mostly because it gives me a reason/excuse to walk away from the call center and go outside where there is sunshine.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Deep breaths definitely help. When you feel a potential confrontation or irritation coming towards you, take a few deep breaths it'll clear your head. But honestly? Dealing with people like that without going insane takes time. After 15 years of being self-employed I still have trouble with it and will take a xanax if I have to deal with an abundance of SC's.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
        ~Clerks

Comment

Warning: My method towards remaining calm is definitely unique and can be considered downright crazy. I'm also exhausted so sorry if i'm babbling. lol

Surely, fast food seems to bring in an abundance of SC's, since they want hot, tasty food along with quick service. Anything that hinders this makes them vulnerable to tantrums. I have a year and a half of fast food experience (I only quit about 2 months ago) to back up my statement that this is NOT always possible. Labor cuts, food costs, etc. sometimes will cause you to deliver less-than-amazing service or food. A lot of people actually do understand when the time comes when you try your best but can only manage average/poor service.

First off, never observe the clock while working. While working a rush, your sense of timing will be lost...a good thing when dealing with SCs. I'm not sure about you but when I deal with SCs, I tend to be more tolerant of them if in the back of my mind I'm convinced that my shift is *possibly* ending very very shortly. After the SC has exited, looking at the clock may be positive or negative. It may be positive since the day may have seemed to have gone by so quickly, but then again, it may be negative when you realize how much the day may be dragging. After dealing with an SC, it's your decision whether you wanna look at the clock or not.

At times, I also tended to exaggerate the importance of my job. I'd imagine I was an ER doctor, a 911 operator, an air-traffic controller, etc. When SC's came at full attack, I'd pretend that they were simply distressed people in need of help. My ability to "save the day" so to speak all relied on my ability to remain calm during the stressful situation. After managing to get them away by "killing them with kindness" and providing them with nothing they can complain about, I would congratulate myself, and convince myself that because of my admirable ability to remain calm, all is now well.

I know a lot of you are like , but it worked for me.

Sometimes I would also pretend that the restaurant was being filmed and that the footage would appear on a reality TV show. I never got angry, because I had myself convinced that the imaginary cameras would catch it, and all the world would see what an ass I was on the TV show.

Weird again, I know.

If you're more of a literal person, just remember that all these people want is food. They are not meaning to yell at you directly, but moreso the situation, or perhaps the company entirely. No matter how hard it may be, if you don't do anything to cause them to validly complain to the higher ups about an attitude you copped with them, your job will most likely never end up in jeopardy from the attitudes of SCs.

SCs come and go..but you're going HOME at the end of the day! Keep that in mind.

Good Luck!
          Last edited by White_Knight1989; 07-16-2007, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Not so far.

I have not had to deal with a bad customer yet. But as I work in the back kitchen I will bring out one of the large knives and finish sharpening it as I talk to the customer.

I have limited work hours and plenty to do, so I can't drop sharpening just because someone is pissed at me.

Comment

the way I used to handle it was just think I have to deal with them for a very short time and they will be gone. It's like with being over the phones, you have to remember what cutenoob says at the begining. I like to think that some day that customer will think I was a real arse and should not have taken it out on that person. I have done that and felt bad about it but there is nothing we can do. Just remember no matter where you work, no matter what you do, there will always be those types of people.
              I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

Quoth Deanna Darkstone View Post
                I'm worried that the asshole customers at my job at McDonald's are going to drive me insane...

I'd like to know how you guys keep your sanity and (forgive me for being melodramatic) spirit intact.
                Honestly? Lots and lots of beer.

As for you, your first problem is you're working for McDonald's.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Keep in mind with my comments I have never in my life, not for one day, worked fast food. My experience is primarily from the food service industry, but not that end of it.

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                Also, in a less mature manner, I'm a big fan of obscene hand gestures when the customer can't see...
                Myswtghst said that as a joke, but there is something to that. Not the gestures necessarily, but for the true a-holes I have dealt with in my life in all my jobs (server, bartender, magician, DJ, call center) I have found a healthy fantasy life helps.

Now, I am not talking about anything "adult" here, mind you, nor am I saying to daydream while working and lose track of what you are doing. But in my time, some of the real class A jerks have caused me to wickedly imagine in my head what I would do to them were there no repercussions or consequences to said actions. And it was QUITE enjoyable to think about doing these evil things while I ever so politely and sweetly do everything in my power to help them with whatever their problem is, be it real or simply perceived by them. (After all, perception IS reality, right? Or something like that...)

Also, to be quite honest, the best way to deal with SCs like that is to simply be the best you can be at your job, to know what you are doing, and to exude that confident air. Because SCs, like any other evil troll type being, will jump on any weakness they perceive in you. If you act and talk and work like you know damn well what you are doing (even if you don't always ACTUALLY know it that well), they will have less reason to get in a snit to begin with, or once they do get in a snit, have less reason to jump all over you.

I often talk about how I am a smartass to customers. There is no way I could get away with that if I did not exude absolute confidence not only in my abilities but in my knowledge of my job. (When I am too busy to be a smartass, after all, I am an extraordinarily efficient and fast server, and people see that.)

I was joking in the beginning of this post about getting the hell out of McDonald's, but there is some truth in that. First of all, it may not be the place for you. Heck, food service might not be the best place for you. But beyond that, McDonald's does not always get the most polite classy people in the first place. I know I am biased against fast food, and I am not degrading people who do eat it, but I am saying that a lot of less civilized folks do, for whatever reason, eat at fast food places. Take that for what it's worth, and in the manner it was meant. (In other words, don't throw any tomatoes at me until after I duck!)

One more thing that you need to remember to keep you sane when the entire population of Planet Asshole are invading your establishment: at the end of the day, you are going to be going home to your happy fun life. But they, they are going to continue to be miserable, unhappy, sad, and petty and while you enjoy your time off, they'll be trapped in their hellish assholian existence.

And if that doesn't make you smile and return a bit of sanity to your head, I don't know what will!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

The first thing to remember is that each person has their own set of problem, they are all human and they have tempers, just like you and me. The second thing to remember is to give service with a smile, no matter what, try to put yourself in the shoes of the customer..what type of service do you expect when you visit a food establishment, what type of food do you expect..do you want your burgers and fries to be fresh and made in a timely manner? Also kill them with kindness, I have found that when a pissy, rude customer bitches me out and I am super friendly and smile alot it will make them even more ticked off or make them reflect on how childish their behavior really is. Besides that, I tell myself that I win!! because they did not suceed in ruining my day. I have even had customers call and apologize for their behavior because I was so nice to them. Stick to the rules, don't let them browbeat you! Give them the best service you possibly can. I tell rude customers that call in ( with a mistake) that we are all human and we make mistakes. That usually will shut them up.

Seriously, working fast food takes alot of patience and ability to tolerate alot. It can be a thankless job at times but if you get with the right company it can be the best job around. I have worked the fast food business for over twenty years, I did this by choice because I thrive on the thrill, excitement and challenges that occurs when trying to serve hundreds of customers in an short time. I get excited in seeing the sales go up each yr, learning customer names and knowing exactly what they are going to order before they even get to the counter. We have many of those. I can name at least three hundred customers who come into our store at least three times a week if not more, and I can name at least four hundred who come in at least once a week. (we have to ask the customer their names for their order so you learn the names quickly, plus it is a job requirement to be able to name at least one hundred and something about them)

Anyways what I am saying is keep your cool, do the best you can and if you think that fast food is not for you then it is perfectly okay, not everyone likes or can do the fast food biz. If all else fails, go to the walk in cooler or freezer, close door and scream real loud at least twice a shift. It really helps!!

Comment

Remember that you are allowed to insult them, so long as they can't hear you.

It also helps to use insults no one else understands. Lately, I've been using, "You nerf-herding nimrod" as the door closes behind them.

Granted, McDonalds can be busy to the point where you really can't say anything withous some customer hearing you, but savor the moments when you can.

Hope this helps, as it has seriously gotten me through decades without a major mental episode.
                    Last edited by Ree; 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM. Reason: Fixing tags

Comment

I have been to several Rocky Horror midnight shows, and I discovered one of the callbacks is perfect for rude customers. You can't say it, you can only think it.

"Oh my God! What a bitch! Quick Magenta, throw the switch!"

Every time I have a rude customer I think this and have to stifle a laugh. It makes them seem really stupid in my eyes. Although one day I may actually laugh in a rude customer's face and get in trouble.

It workd for me, anyway, but I'm a bit odd.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I agree with the "kill them with kindness" attitude. Most of the time, that works very well for me.

If it is a genuine problem the customer is having, just be kind; listen and be sympathetic to their needs. Most of the time, if you do that, they won't scream at YOU, because they realize that it is not YOUR fault. As an added bonus, the rational individual will normally allow you to resolve the issue- and thank you for doing so!

If it is an irrational asshole customer, or some type of scammer... Take pride in the fact that you have better things to do with your time. Still kill with kindness, because nothing pisses off a bully like not being able to break their target! (this can be hard, I still struggle with it sometimes). But just be confident. Once the asshole leaves, you can laugh at them with your co-workers. or do what Jester does and imagine all sorts of horrible things you'd love to have done/said, but being a good, decent human being would never do/say.
                        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                          If it is an irrational asshole customer, or some type of scammer... Take pride in the fact that you have better things to do with your time. Still kill with kindness, because nothing pisses off a bully like not being able to break their target! (this can be hard, I still struggle with it sometimes).
                          Exactly. If they're being a bastard, be extremely (but not over-the-top) nice to them. The worse they get, the nicer you get. These bastards *want* to get you upset...and by not doing so, you're denying them their goal. Besides, if you are nice to them, and your boss is around, what can they do, complain?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I think I must be one of the only people in the world who not only enjoys working in food service, but actually loves it. *L* Every single person I work with thinks I am nuts, but the thing is I make the job work for me. It's kind of funny, because I am probably one of the last people who should be working any kind of customer service related job, because I am extremely moody.

I definetly agree with "kill them with kindness." I try my hardest to greet everybody with a brilliant smile and look genuinely happy to be able to serve them. And it's not because this is what the higher-ups want us to do. I make it my business to try and do the opposite of whatever the higher-ups want. It's because I know how it is to be on the other side of the counter, and I know how the difference feels between receiving a big grin and a positive attitude as opposed to the person acting like you're a little piece of crap.

The thing I have noticed is that working in food service as a cashier you actually have a lot of power, as people will very often mirror your attitude and adopt it as their own. If I have a snarling, pissed off countenance while serving somebody they will themselves become defensive and hostile. But if I give them a big ol' grin and seem happy and bouncy, then they will smile and brighten and a lot of the times I really feel as if I'm making their day better. I figure it takes as much effort to be super nice as it does to act like a nasty bitch, so might as well go with the more positive one. And it's nice to realize you have the power to make or break somebody's entire mood in the space of a two minute transaction.

And when I get the customers that really are just plain and simple jerks, I just feign ignorance and obliviousness. Whenever someone complains or whines I just stand there and give them this blank look.

Like I said, you have to find a way to make the job work for you (and this goes for any job, not just food service). All of my co-workers are totally burnt out, somebody quits every other day, everyone else constantly talks about quitting, and I'm the only one who walks around all day with a song in my heart and a bounce in my step. But that is mainly because I go at my own pace. I wouldn't say that I am slow, but I do have one speed, and that is leisurely. I don't stress myself out. I don't run around like a chicken with my head cut off. Whenever it is incredibly busy I create little breaks for myself.

Comment

I like to look at working retail/food service as a way to disguise how I really feel. I think of it as practice for hiding bad moods when I don't want to bring everyone down with me. Do I still have bad days? Course! So does everyone else. But I have also noticed that a super positive attitude at the register tends to take the steam off some of the pissy customers, and it can really brighten someone's day if they get a good experience. In addition, it can really bring someone's day down if they get a nasty, bitchy experience. You don't necessarily have to be bouncing off the walls cheerful, but keeping a positive attitude is a huge help when people complain. It takes some of the steam out of their sails when they realized that you won't put up a fight with them.

How I deal with it is I make my emotions completely blank. I don't let any thoughts beyond work-related stuff creep their way into my head, and if I'm not thinking about something that's bothering me, then I'm not feeling anything about it. Admittedly, this takes A TON of practice. Learning how to meditate is a HUGE help with this ability. Then I drink some coffee, and that puts me in a great mood and gives me enough energy to positively influence my mood, even on the worst of days. (I love coffee!!! Especially Starbucks!!!!) Beyond that, remembering that the customers are not necessarily upset with you, and that there's usually something going on in their personal life, really helps you deal with grumpy people without letting them bring you down to their level. It's not an easy thing to do by any means, but if you can handle at least being complacent while you work, then you will go far, my friend!
                              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                              The Office

Comment

Working...
                              X