This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delivery Woes (a rant)

This is a constant problem at my work and I have yet to find a way to explain the situation better to people.

Here's what happens at least once a week.

Customer: I want to get *list of large furniture items* and have them delivered.
    Me: Ok, well you'll just have to pick up the items that are self serve or get a Cash and Carry order for any full serve items then bring everything through cash.
    Customer: But I want them delivered.
    Me: I understand, but everything still needs to be brought through the cash lanes regardless.
    Customer: But it's *something large, usually a couch*.
    Me: Again, I understand but if you need help getting it to the cash lanes then over to Home Delivery one of the Self Serve guys (it's always the guys who help with the lifting) will give you a hand.
    Customer: This makes no sense. Can't I just give you the codes or the name of the items and the prices?
    Me: *on auto pilot now* Unfortunately we need to have the actual items brought through the cash lanes. The reason for this is because let's assume there is only one more of the items that you want to buy. If I ring through just the article number then someone picks up that item and brings it through the cash to buy it then you won't have that item for delivery. There is no such thing as reservations just by way of having the item rung up at cash.
    Customer: That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    Me: This is Ikea - it's how things are done, it's how they've always been done and how they will always be done.

How do you not know what you're about to be faced with hen you come to the ONE store that is most famous for being widely self-service from start to finish?
    And how dare you develop the audacity to complain about it.

This is something I have to put up with ALL the time, and if it were just an issue of explaining it to the customers I wouldn't mind, but 9/10 customers are downright rude about it and act like it's such an outlandish request that we ask them to pick up the items on their own.

If you want to shop straight from the displays then go to Leons.

When I bought furniture for my house, almost all of it came from Ikea. When I discovered that place, I knew ahead of time everything was broken down and you had to assemble it all yourself. But, hey, it was worth it for the amount of money I paid for everything so I had no problem packing two or three carts full of boxes and being on my way.

Then again, I'm not a whiney, lazy asshole.

By the way, I actually *read* the signs (wow, a customer reading signs) telling me to have all the SKUs facing one way to make checkout easier. That was actually more challenging than I expected but I got it mostly right.

Comment

I remember when we brought our dining room table from IKEA (its really nice) and there was ONE nice undamaged box, right at the bottom of a stack of 8 or 9 and this couple in front of us was bitching about it and they both left to get someone to help them. This was after complaining loudly for what seemed 15 minutes over how all of the boxes were damaged but the one on the bottom.

They wouldnt even let me and K select a box off the top... oh no we had to wait our turn while they "decided" (re bitched) and poked the boxes. While they were tracking down someone we sprang into action, quickly and silently grabbed the damaged boxes and put them on the second stack (there were two side by side) until we got the undamaged one at the bottom, placed it on our flat trolley and then restacked the damaged ones back where they were. Just as we left they came back and saw us and went beserk at the staff member that we had "stolen" the only good box.....

the employee gave us the biggest smile then turned back and started to explain to them that Ikea is self serve....

sigh... I love Ikea!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable policy, and your explanation made sense to me. Which brings to mind some rhetorical questions I've been thinking about recently.

Why do customers go to a self-serve warehouse such as Ikea, and then complain about the lack of staff? It's self-serve. (FtR, I've always found Ikea staff to be polite and helpful.)

Why do customers go to a technology discount store like Netlink/NCIX.com and complain about the lack of a showroom, or the staff's inability to answer questions about every single product? They have just short of FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND different SKUs in their system, and a storefront the size of my apartment. If you have a burning desire to form a relationship with your RAM before you buy it, then feel free to head over to BestBuy. Of course, you'll likely pay at least double the price...

Why do customers expect toll-free phone support for a web hosting account they pay $3/month for? We'll gladly a reboot a locked-up server, but for $3/month, we are NOT going to hold your hand through the basics of HTML.

Why? Well...because they're customers

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
          the employee gave us the biggest smile then turned back and started to explain to them that Ikea is self serve....

sigh... I love Ikea!
          I bet you made his day, especially since he wasn't going to have to move around a bunch of boxes for this one bitchy couple.

Oh, and to the OP, I bet they wanted someone to deliver *and* put together all of their furniture.

Ikea ROCKS!!! I got all my furniture for my room there (minus my bed) and I love it!
          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
          The Office

Comment

Working...
          X