This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same Item Only means just that!

I love how a simple little word like 'no' can turn reasonable people into SCs. Our returns policy on CDs, DVDs, and games is strict, and this guy wouldn't be the first or last to be frustrated by it...

SC: *a little embarassed* Yeah, I bought the wrong CD, and I want to exchange it for the right one. I just bought it, here's the receipt.
    Me: Let's see...oh. Sorry, I'm afraid I can't exchange it for another title, because it's been opened.
    SC: What? But I just bought it!
    Me: I can only exchange it for the same title. Like if you wanted to get the deluxe edition, or the non-explicit version.
    SC: All I did was take the plastic off and open it! I didn't even play it!
    Me: Sorry, I can only exchange it for the same title.
    SC: WHY?
    Me: Federal Copyright Law. I can't return any digital media that's been opened--only exchange it for the same title.
    SC: SHOW ME WHERE IT SAYS THIS!!!
    Me: *points at receipt* Right there. "Same item only if open".
    SC's girlfriend: *cracks up and baps him on the arm* You lose.
    SC: *confused and angry* I just want the same guy's newest CD! It's the same thing, right?
    Me: Sorry, no. It's not the same title.
    SC: *stares at me for a VERY long moment, then deliberately picks up his receipt, rips it in half, and drops it on my counter* Fuck you! *storms off towards electronics* Now I have to go buy the right one!
    Me: Uh. Okay.

It cracked me up. Oh no! He's so angry he's going to spend more money in our store!
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

This happened (and I'm sure it still does) all the time where I used to work! Our policy was even more strict, if you opened it, you could only get the same exact thing. Couldn't even exchange it for the explicit or deluxe. Had a lot to do with the fact that these losers would either not read the damn thing that it was edited or they would buy a copy, go burn it, and then return the opened CD. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

"Oh no! He's so angry he's going to spend more money in our store! "

THAT'll teach you guys!

Comment

What's the matter with you? Don't you know it's the store's fault he bought the wrong CD?

Comment

At the movie rental place where I work, you can only exchange a rental for the same title. you can only exchange for the same title. People have tried to get a different title after they discovered that Pan's Labyrinth was all in Spanish w/ English subtitles. We had the dvd and everything clearly marked that is was subtitled, but still people through fits.
          "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

I feel your pain. Heck, I live your pain...
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
            HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
              SC's girlfriend: *cracks up and baps him on the arm* You lose.
              At least his girlfriend figured it out.

Comment

It's hard to believe that in this day-and-age there's a person left alive that doesn't know about the return policies regarding CDs, DVDs, VHS, or CD-ROMs.
                ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth Monica View Post
                  ......People have tried to get a different title after they discovered that Pan's Labyrinth was all in Spanish w/ English subtitles.
                  The only reasons I can think of for why subtitles would be a problem is if you are a slow reading slack-jawed redneck, or you're a bigot. Either way it ain't good.

Pan's Labyrinth was a great movie, BTW.
                  I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                    The only reasons I can think of for why subtitles would be a problem is if you are a slow reading slack-jawed redneck, or you're a bigot. Either way it ain't good.

Pan's Labyrinth was a great movie, BTW.
                    How about if you don't have the concentration ability to pay attention to reading the translation at the same time as following the plot?

Or maybe you're old and your eyesight isn't what it once was?

My mother is not slack-jawed (IQ over 140), not a redneck (California hippie), or a bigot (one of the most open-minded people I know). However, she cannot do subtitles these days because she just plain can't read them from any sort of distance, even on the 42" tv my brother picked up a couple years ago.

And trust me, with how much Nekojin & I like anime, she's had a lot of opportunity to try.

Of course, my mother would also have noted that the movie was subtitled long before even attempting to rent it, and if she had missed it for being preoccupied, she certainly wouldn't have a hissy at the counter over not getting an exchange. That whole personal responsibility thing, you know.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

Of course, my mother would also have noted that the movie was subtitled long before even attempting to rent it, and if she had missed it for being preoccupied, she certainly wouldn't have a hissy at the counter over not getting an exchange. That whole personal responsibility thing, you know.

^-.-^
                      And that makes all the difference.

Comment

Reminds me of the time my dad and I went to rent Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. My dad isn't practiced enough to read subtitles while watching a movie, so we were looking for the English dub instead. We found the dub box on the shelf at the rental place (VHS at the time), and take it up to the counter. The girl grabs the video off the shelves behind her, we pay, and head out. Neither of us thinks to check the casette, since we handed her the dub box.

Mistake, that. We get home, pop it in, and find subtitles staring us in the face. Now this doesn't bother me so much, as I watch subtitled anime and am quite practiced, plus I read fast anyway. My dad was cheesed off. We watched it subtitled anyway, since we didn't have the time to go all the way back to town just to exchange a movie.

Anyway, Wal-Mart has the "Exact item only" rule too. I think the only exception is if you bought the widescreen and wanted the fullscreen, or vice versa. No exchanging the regular edition for the special edition or anything (since you should've been paying attention anyway). If it's still in the shrink wrap, though, they can issue a refund.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                          Reminds me of the time my dad and I went to rent Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
                          My son and I saw that when it was in the theaters, and the guy in front of us was really upset that it was subtitled. He declared that the movie was way too much reading, therefore he would not be doing any reading in school that week.

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
                            He declared that the movie was way too much reading, therefore he would not be doing any reading in school that week.
                            That'll learn those movie people from puttin' readin' in his TV time!

Comment

Working...
                            X