X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrenswear woes...

Hurrah for first post madness...

I work for a popular department store over here in the rainy ol' UK on the childrenswear department. It really does amaze me sometimes how much more immature the parents can behave than their kids.

The first incident of my shift on Sunday, and was more just odd than sucky I suppose. A woman came up to my till point and wanted to buy a gift voucher. Now we don't sell them in paper voucher form anymore, haven't for a few years now. We sell top-upable plastic gift cards instead. After explaining this and asking her to pick one of the cards from the front of the counter (which took a number of attempts as she kept choosing the coloured ENVELOPES for the cards and handing me those instead) she came out with one of the more bizarre statements I've heard since working there:

SC: Everywhere's getting these cards now. Whats the deal with them anyway?! They're so damn Irish!

Now, if anyone here lives in Ireland do you have any idea what she meant? Was the plastic card method started in Ireland? Does Ireland have an overwhelming wealth of plastic card produce?

----

The second was just silly. As company policy dictates, we keep the changing rooms locked until someone wants to use them. Also due to policy, we have to have a sign on the door saying 'this fitting room is closed, please use the nearest fitting room over on [insert department here].' This is used even when the door is just closed not actually unusable to try stuff on in, because we get marked down in the mystery shops if we don't provide informative service when a fitting room is actually shut.

A lot of people just see the sign and follow the instructions. A fair number just stand near the till (which is next to the fitting room) and wait to ask if they can use the room.

Then there was this fine example of a man, who decided that the key to using the changing room wasn't to ask for help, or go to another. Oh no, he instead tried to break the door down

He just comes up to it while I am serving another customer, starts pulling on the handle, kicking the door a bit, and slamming on the door as if someone inside was going to magically open it for him. Me and the other customer are just watching him at this point while I try and tell him that I can open the fitting room for him if he just gives me a minute to finish serving the other customer.

Nope. Not having it. He continues, then after about a minute turns to glare at me .
    SC: WELL! IS THIS FITTING ROOM OPEN OR NOT!?! I'VE BEEN WAITING HERE TEN MINUTES () FOR THIS TO OPEN!

Me (in calm voice): Are you with a child who wants to try on some items?

SC: NO!

Me: This is a childrens only changing room. You'll have to go to Menswear. Have a nice day. *Continues serving other customer.*

The man just stood open-mouthed for a moment before storming away.

To be honest... when I first read this post, I totally read it as "Children Swear" rather than "Childrens Wear"

But what idiots those people are. I mean, trying on clothes in a children's department without a child? Man!
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

I think I know which company you work for, and I think it's the same one I do. The Purple Peril?
      God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Quoth The Immortal Pammykins View Post

SC: Everywhere's getting these cards now. Whats the deal with them anyway?! They're so damn Irish!

Um, when I was younger, "Irish" was used as a term for an odd/backwards/illogical way of doing things.
        Sorry.

Comment

I suspect it just means they're stupid. 'Irish' is often meant as stupid or cheap. Which is why the woman going on about her boyfriend saving an extra 10 p being 'so irish' got on my nerves. Just cause the people are white doesn't mean it's not racist, and I'm part irish.
          Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Oh yeah, it just dawned on me. The British and Irish don't think too highly of each other, do they?
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Not really. Years of killing each other. Goes back hundreds of years.
              Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Zombi, it is indeed the Purple Peril that she works for. She'd answer the question herself, but is currently playing 4 person Mario Party against herself. As to how I know this... I'm psychic! Well, I'm in the same room.

*prods Pam* Don't forget to do an intro post.

Dragonlover
                You have no idea how many ponchos can fit in a box- Me, after may first day at the warehouse

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                  To be honest... when I first read this post, I totally read it as "Children Swear" rather than "Childrens Wear"
                  heeheehee...glad I wasn't the only one!

and, um, gift cards are somehow cheap and/or backwards? I'm pretty sure they cost more to produce than a pad of paper...not to mention the cost of maintaining the data on a server somewhere that can be accessed by the register/customer service for tracking said data when necessary, etc. etc....and they've only been around a (relatively) few years compared to how long paper gift certificates have been around...
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-18-2007, 10:16 PM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Hurrah for first post madness...
                    Welcome to CS!

The first incident of my shift on Sunday, and was more just odd than sucky I suppose.
                    Racist/bigoted comments? Check.

Not just odd, but honestly sucky.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That reminds me of a (white) cow-orker's experience. A (white) lady SC was trying to get something free, or some kind of favor from her. When my cow-orker refused, the SC said "Don't be so Vietnamese!" and stormed out.

What in the honeybaked hell does that mean? I don't think I know a single Vietnamese stereotype...

Joe

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        heeheehee...glad I wasn't the only one!

and, um, gift cards are somehow cheap and/or backwards? I'm pretty sure they cost more to produce than a pad of paper...not to mention the cost of maintaining the data on a server somewhere that can be accessed by the register/customer service for tracking said data when necessary, etc. etc....and they've only been around a (relatively) few years compared to how long paper gift certificates have been around...
                        woohoo i have simular minded folk!!!

oh and for the irish british hate? i recamend the Sevenwaters Trilogy. Pretty good about the early days and mythology

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Oh yeah, it just dawned on me. The British and Irish don't think too highly of each other, do they?
                          It's really more the Irish and the Scots hate the English! Bloody sassenachs. I've always heard the distinction like this: British refers to the Britons, who were Celts. English refers to the Saxon.
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                          X