This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help needed!

A file was emailed to me yesterday. I tried to open it last night. Firefox sent it to a special "Downloads" window, as it does, and when I double-clicked on it, it was saved to the desktop. Okay. Done this before.

I went to the desktop and clicked on the file. File did not open. File offered to save in .docx or .docm. This has never happened before. File will save in either format, but will not open.

I don't have Microsoft Office; I downloaded OpenOffice instead. I opened OpenOffice and tried to open the file that way. File would still not open. OpenOffice claims file is corrupted.

I downloaded the latest version of OpenOffice. I downloaded the latest version of Firefox. I downloaded the file again. Not a damned thing has changed.

Someone on the OpenOffice support site suggested changing the name of the OpenOffice file. I tried. It wouldn't let me.

What in all hell is going on here, and how can I fix it?

docx and docm are Office 2007 formats as far as I know (I don't use 2007 so I don't know 100%)

I have two possible solutions. I'm not sure this first one will work.

Solution 1
    Download the Microsoft Word 2003 viewer

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Then download the compatibility pack for Office 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Solution 2
    Ask the person who sent you the file to save it in a different format and send it to you again. Something like .rtf which can pretty much be opened by any word processing program.

Comment

It's already been sent in .rtf. No luck. I can't open documents in .docx, but my computer expects me to SAVE in that format, which doesn't make any sense. I end up saving a document that reads, document.rtf.docx (or .docm).

Comment

Ok, working off the file.rtf.docx right click on it, select properties. Make sure it is not checked as read only. If it is, uncheck the read only option and apply. Then right click and rename it to remove the .docx extension.

It should now be just .rtf
        Last edited by Chanlin; 09-27-2008, 10:01 PM.

Comment

It's still not working. Read-only isn't checked, so that's not a problem. I changed the "Open With" to OpenOffice and applied it. When I try to open it in any format, a "Filter Selection" window pops up.

Comment

Ok important question, I'm assuming its a microsoft word 2007 file, but you said that is what it is saving in. On the e-mail is the original attachment a .docx or .docm file?

EDIT: To maybe make this easier do you have a preferred IM client? Or maybe we could enter ye old CS chat?
            Or if your open to it I could try converting the file if its not private and you don't mind sending it to me.
            Last edited by Chanlin; 09-27-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

It's just a regular .doc file. The kind I've never had any trouble opening, until now.

EDITED TO ADD: I've been trying to do something with this for hours... I'm tired, and I'm going to bed. Thanks for your help, and maybe we could try IMing tomorrow?

Comment

Ok, I'll talk with you tomorrow, sorry we couldn't get it now.

Comment

sometimes the extenson can be hidden by windows and is labled by the program instead.
                  assuming XP
                  in my computer go to tools. folder options. View, and turn off "Hide extensions for known file types"

it wont fix your problem but will give you a better idea of the file you are dealing with

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X