This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged" when it isn't

Been having this problem for a couple of weeks now, and I notice it's only when I go to certain sites, namely Live Journal and Myspace (I know, I know. But it's the only way I keep up with some of my old friends).

The only way I can fix it is by going into network connections and disabling my LAN and re-enabling it again. Sometimes I have to use the repair option as well. Is there any particular reason why these sites kill my connection? I've checked all my cables and such, and everything is plugged up ok.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
    Been having this problem for a couple of weeks now, and I notice it's only when I go to certain sites, namely Live Journal and Myspace (I know, I know. But it's the only way I keep up with some of my old friends).

The only way I can fix it is by going into network connections and disabling my LAN and re-enabling it again. Sometimes I have to use the repair option as well. Is there any particular reason why these sites kill my connection? I've checked all my cables and such, and everything is plugged up ok.
    one easy and quick check would be to replace your net cable with a known good cable. if the issue goes away bad cable, if not it could be that the nic socket has a pin not making contact due to age, corrosion, etc. worst case is that it is on its way out. but if you check the socket for green crusty looking pins, missing pins or some that look misaligned we can go from there.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Only these 2 sites?
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

It's a odd one that it only happens when you visit two sites. If the replacing the cable doesn't fix anything.

How are you connected to the internet? Does it happen every time you visit those two sites or most of the time when you visit those two sites?
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
          How are you connected to the internet? Does it happen every time you visit those two sites or most of the time when you visit those two sites?
          Bear with me, as I'm not nearly as computer savvy as I was when I was 16 We upgraded from dial-up to high speed in March, but since the proper terms for the connections escape me, I'll try and cheat my way out of this with pictures. (Yes, I'm a little dumb when it comes to these things, it's ok, you can say it )

My modem -

Back of PC -

It happens about 40% of the time when I visit those particular sites, usually only when I'm checking my friend pages or trying to leave a comment for them, and I've only noticed it happening at night. Last night I experimented, and would stay off of them for a while, but the minute I tried to go to them, I'd get the unplugged message popping up.

Comment

this is sounding more like a software issue than a hardware, have you noticed it on any other sites or times? other than that question i think ill defer to my software counterparts and bow out.
            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Can't say that I have, but thanks nonetheless for your help

Comment

What browser are you using? Is it the latest version? Have you tried updating or reinstalling your browser? Is your OS completely up to date? Keep in mind that LJ and MySpace are *incredibly* poorly coded, which is probably why you're just having the problems there. It's probably some fragment of code hitting a vulnerability somewhere. The next step after browser and OS would be see if your router (assuming you have one) has a firmware update available. But that's a lot more complicated.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

If I have to guess, something is corrupted. Probably a add-on/plug-in that myspace/live journal uses.

If you're using IE, try deleting all temporary files and objects that you can. Of course, making sure you have the latest patch might help too.

From your picture, it seems you don't have a router and is directly connected to a dsl modem. If it's not software/driver, maybe your ISP has a problem with those sites.

*edit* I just thought of something else. Your "box" should have lights, do the lights patterns change when this happen? It possible you just have a bad box.
                  Last edited by LostMyMind; 09-10-2008, 01:46 PM.
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I am not so sure a site or software could cause the OS to recognize the cable as disconnected and force you to flip the interface off and on.. the site visit or time might be a very convenient coincidence.

If this happens out of the blue and it happens with different cables I'd bet there is a problem with the ethernet handshake between your computer and the router or switch, i've had troubles with ethernet handshakes with tulip based cards for example before against a cisco switch.

To test this out, go to the hardware devices list in your control panel (I think the icon is called system). find your network card in the hardware list and click on properties. There should be a tab there called options, or settings (pardon my memory I don't use windows regularily), where you should have a list of options for your card and settings. Find duplex and set it to Full Duplex by hand, and then find speed and set it to 100 if you're against a switch, or 10 if you're against a router. That will turn off ethernet auto handshaking and preset the values to 10Base-T FD or 100Base-TX FD. Try if it works more stably so.
                    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I get this same error any time my router (aka, DSL modem) gets rebooted. It COULD be a hardware problem with the router causing this and it's only coincidence that it's happening, or you're only seeing it when you're on those particular sites.

I wouldn't rule this out. It's difficult to believe that it is a software problem.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                      X