Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What do I do NOOWWW?!?" I'd offer a suggestion, but ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What do I do NOOWWW?!?" I'd offer a suggestion, but ...

... I can't really afford to lose this job ...

We have "contractor" cards offering a discount. I don't *think* you have to officially have a business to get one, but I'm not sure -- not that that's germane to this story.

Guy comes in, buys about $300 worth of stuff, hands me a gift card. I run it through and tell him the balance still owing.

THEN ... he hands me his contractor card.

Which is at this point totally useless. I can't back up on the procedure, I can't even cancel it and start over (and even if I could ... that gift card is EMPTY. It's not a gas tank. We can't refill it.)

Guy gets surly. I call over to the Head Cashier to ask if there's ANY way to get him the discount at this point. HC says no; he has to finish paying for the stuff and then go to Customer Service and have them deal with it ... a nice, comparatively lengthy process.

Even though the guy's standing right there, I repeat HC's words. He glares at me. "Can't you just cancel it?"

I say no sir, "the machine literally will not LET me do that."

That's where "Well, what do I do NOOWWW?!?" came in.

I refrained from offering any suggestions ("How about next time you hand me your fucking contractor card BEFORE you're halfway through paying??" or, alternately, a suggestion on what he could do with said card ...) and merely repeated that he would have to finish paying and then go to Customer Service and blah blah blah ...

He finished paying, wheeled his buggy around and stalked off in high dudgeon.

After my shift ended I wanted to go apologize to the only person at the CS desk ... but she had just finished with another lengthy situation and was now dealing with Mr. "What do I do NOOWWW?!?"

I didn't think it would go over well if I walked up and said "Hey, sorry to stick you with that surly idiot ... oh, sorry sir, I didn't realize it was you!"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I HATEHATEHATE it when people say that to me. Especially after I have finished explaining what needs to be done.

Try listening with your ears instead of your mouth, it usually works better.

Comment

Those customers are almost as bad as the annoying ones who will have their reward card out but hidden at their side and will only give it to you if you ask them for it. Like hello assholes, you know that this store does this reward card, just give me the damn card after you pull it out. I only bother to ask if I don’t see one because people forget.

Or the “here, let me hand a billion gift cards.... oh? I still owe? Well, I left my wallet at home, can you just refund me the money?”
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
        Those customers are almost as bad as the annoying ones who will have their reward card out but hidden at their side and will only give it to you if you ask them for it. Like hello assholes, you know that this store does this reward card, just give me the damn card after you pull it out. I only bother to ask if I don’t see one because people forget.

Or the “here, let me hand a billion gift cards.... oh? I still owe? Well, I left my wallet at home, can you just refund me the money?”
        I hate that.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I love the people, usually old women, who throw a whole key ring of rewards cards on the counter and let me search through them to find my store's card. I don't think I've ever to been to that many stores in my life as some people have rewards cards for.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
          X