Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think our property taxes are that much per week!!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Hell, I pay almost that much a year on my 18-year-old CAR!

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
        I would have thought so, too.

Property taxes are really low in our county. His house has a low market value, and it's not on a lake or anything that would increase the property taxes. The taxes for the past few years have ranged between $100-150 per year. Most people would kill for taxes that low.
        I would absolutely kill for property taxes that low. mine on my modest mid 5 figure house is in the $1300 - $1400 a year range.

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        I calculate I pay between $25 and $30 per week
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

If I mail you a cheque for the full amount, can I have the house?
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
            Mine run to about $200 per week
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Wow.
              And if his property taxes are anything like the ones in my area, they would be completely willing to set up a payment plan to help him get caught up a little at a time. Though that would still delay the deed transfer.

Comment

As I understand it, my county requires that the taxpayer pay the current year's property taxes as the first step of setting up a payment plan. But for this SC, that would be less than $150, so I don't know why he couldn't do that, if the whole $400 is too much to do at once.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

So, it's been more than 60 days... did he pay?

Comment

Actually, it's only been about 30 days. We received the notice from the county in early July. I'll post an update when I have one.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

/facepalm

That's what happens when I read an American date format using my Australian brain. XD

Comment

Tax sales here are rare as the county will let the taxes go for years before they do anything about it. Also when sold the owners have a year to pay the owed taxes and they can reclaim the property. Now if the "new" owners make any improvements to the property the former owners have to pay for those improvements. Basically it's a shot in the dark and most properties that come up on tax auctions are in very poor condition and in bad parts of town.
                        That being said a cow-irker of mine has done quite well flipping said houses. While renovating he has to have a guard to stay at the place in the off hours to prevent thefts.
                        When we first bought our farm our county property taxes were killing us mostly because of the potential of turning the farm in to another McMansion sub-division. I explored some tax strategies and we put the farm into the land-conservancy meaning from now on all this land could be is a farm. That really killed the value and taxes dropped by over 50%.
                        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                        X