This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great light has gone out of the world

So I arrive at work and find all of the exterior lights are out.

So much stupid.

"What happened to your lights." got that question at least 20 times in my first 50 customers.
    I understand that you're curious. Do you understand how unlikely it is that I would know anything you don't? I'm not an electrician, nobody here is an electrician, an electrician has been summoned. He will probably find the answer to that question. And that answer will not fit into the thirty seconds that your transaction will take. Or were you planning on wasting the time of everyone behind you in line?

Ma'am, I really think you should have anticipated this issue before you got in line. I generally expect an adult to know they need to know their pump number before entering the store (though I am often disappointed), but when there are no lights in the pump area or anywhere outside the store, turning the front window of the store into a near-perfect mirror that completely obscures the view outside so that I cannot even see the cars that are less than ten feet away from me, I am not going to be able to help you figure out which pump you parked at.
    Your comment implying that you were the only car at the pumps is clearly wrong, as my register shows two pumps have people already pumping gas. That narrow the possibilities for which pump you are at to six.

"Are y'all gonna get your lights fixed?' Lady, you were here two-and-a-half hours ago: there wasn't an electrician here then, there isn't one here now, it seems unreasonable for you to expect the work to have been completed by now.
    Yes they are going to be fixed, no I don't know when. But I am hardly surprised that the repair didn't happen between 11:30pm and 2am.

But the stupid wasn't just the customers.
    The issue with the lights was noticed around 9:30pm and the company that handles that for the company that owns the building was notified immediately. The tech called about an hour later and the person who answered the phone said we did not have access to the Electrical Room so he'd have to wait for the Manager at 5am.
    Things wrong with this include that she knew I come in at 11pm and have keys to everything, and that the key to the Electical Room, clearly labeled as such, was hanging from a thumbtack in the cork bulletin board right next to her register, within arm's reach as she rang people up.

What was wrong with the lights was the interface of a poor choice to computerize something that didn't need to be computerized, possible underthink in the design of that computer, poor installation of that computer, and a building apparently built as an experiment in exactly how cheaply that could be done.

Despite the fact that photocells to control exterior lights (turn them on when it gets dark out) have been reliable for decades, somebody decided a while back that ours should be run by a computer that uses our exact longitude and latitude and the time of sunrise/sunset as provided by the internet to turn the lights on and off. This device apparently cannot be made to understand that on days where it is cloudy or raining, it gets light out later and dark out sooner. That last part isn't immediately relevant, but is part of the pile of stupid.

This "computer" is really a big solid-state circuit board with components connected to the board with solder. This is pretty standard, and why it is an issue will become apparent.

The box the computer is installed in is a fairly standard metal equipment box to be bolted to a wall. It has many holes in it where cables go through, and some are large enough to stick fingers through. Also the door doesn't stay closed.

Just one example of how cheap the building is, we had an HVAC tech come to address an issue of it being particularly cold at Register One, which was because Register One is directly under one of the roughly ten vents in the store. He solved this by installing a "diffuser", one of those square things with layers of concentric squares mounted at an angles that deflect the airflow sideways. He said they are about $2 each. For some reason we just had plastic grilles over the vents.
    A glaser replacing a broken window had similar disparaging things to say about the way the glass was installed: apparently rather than build an actual window frame they mostly caulked the glass into place.
    So given how cheaply it was built, and that the building is almost 20 years old, it's hardly surprising that the roof sprang a leak.

Have you guessed it?
    The roof leaked, and the water leaked through the ceiling of the Electrical Room.
    It ran down the wall and into the box with the light controller in it.
    It ran across all those exposed solder points and shorted a bunch of stuff against other stuff.
    This predictably caused the device to stop working properly. Even the large button designed to turn the lights back on when the machine stupidly turns them off wouldn't work. (It looks just like an Emergency Stop button except it's green not red.)

So the roof leaks. The building was not properly designed to deflect roof leaks away from the room with all the circuit breakers. The device with exposed circuitry was not put in a box designed to keep water out, and the box it is in won't even stay closed. And so the computerized light controller that was a bad idea to begin with became a single point of failure that took out our signs, our security lights, our parking lot lights, our gas canopy lights, and all the lights at the entrance to the store. Every single exterior light is run by that single device, as opposed to multiple systems each with its own photocell so that if one system fails we still have partial lights.
    It took a lot of bad decisions to get us to this point.

So. Much. Stupid.
    Last edited by SpyOne; 07-27-2018, 03:10 PM.

Ah yes, the "You'll save money" device. Sure, you'll save money by cutting running costs. These savings will possibly offset the lost revenue when the damn thing somehow fails to work properly. Sadly, repairs/replacement will not be covered by the savings mentioned above.

Back when I worked a gas station, there was a nice lightswitch by the cashier's knee which activated a relay. Click-BAM, lights.

Comment

I feel like this is a reinvent the wheel type situation. Sometimes when I worked at the roofing company people would call after researching products on THE INTERNET and demand a new fangled roofing material. Would they trust the company owner who had seen many of these products come and go? Nope, THE INTERNET was always right.

One time recently when the card reader at the pump didn't work I had to go inside to pay. Right when I walked in I realized I hadn't looked at the pump number so I did this crazy thing... I turned around and looked before going further. Wow, it's not rocket science here people.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The hospital where I used to work was newly constructed and opened in late 1988. In 1994 we suddenly lost all phone service, so that we couldn't call out, and no one could call in, and we couldn't call other places inside the hospital. Turned out that some genius had installed a new phone switching device right next to the MRI machine. The "M" in "MRI" stands for "magnetic", so the MRI's magnet wiped the phone switching device's hard drive. The result was no phone service anywhere inside the hospital except for the lobby phones, because they were on a different switching system. We were reduced to bellowing down hallways to each other. Of course, a few doctors came to my office wanting to know why they couldn't dictate.

Comment

Few years ago I was working, and started smelling strong diesel fumes at my desk. One of our engineers opened up the door to the one of the data centers, and couldn't see across it because diesel smoke was so thick. That was how we discovered that a design flaw with the installation of a new diesel powered generator. Turns out it was installed in such a way that the exhaust discharge was placed right next to one of the 2 main intakes for the building HVAC system. When they fired it up for the first time to test it, most of the building filled with diesel smoke.

Couple years later in another one our data centers, we had a UPS that took up smoking and caused the fire suppression system to go off. The vibration frequency that the nozzle of the fire suppression system was the perfect frequency that it caused 5 of the six hard drives to fail in our main storage array that was next to it.
          Last edited by drunkenwildmage; 08-01-2018, 08:25 PM.
          Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

When I left work there were still a few CRT monitors in use on the ops floor and one of our critical network servers still ran on Windows ME. I won't even get in to the default password situation.

Granted, at the previous company I worked for our only vending machines were....manual. As in hand cranked. You had to turn that coil to make the chips drop yourself. Not because the machines were out somewhere that wasn't easy to run a power cord too, mind you. Just because renting vending machines cost actual money and management would never spend a dime on anything for the employees.

So they found an old hand cranked vending machine somewhere and brought it into the building. Then they filled it themselves with things Not For Individual Sale(tm) and turned a small profit off the staff.

Comment

The joys of always using the company with the lowest quote for the job.
              at my wife's work they installed a mezzanine floor to house a piece of equipment. Someone didn't do their sums right so the floor wasn't strong enough for the increased weight.
              No worries they said and reinforced the floor making it about 50mm thicker. All good right?
              Nope, now the guard rails around the mezzanine are 50mm below the legislated minimum height for elevated work areas so instead of the nice looking railings there some shitty bolt on secondary rail on top
              Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Why is good building design apparently so bloody difficult?! I'm not an architect, yet I can see when something isn't put together correctly. I once worked at a hospital that had been described as a design marvel...until someone realized they hadn't put fire escapes into a twelve-story building. They had to shave about two feet off each patient room to squeeze the fire escape in. Now the patient rooms are too small and awkward to get around in. So much for the design marvel.

I once worked for a restaurant supply service in a big warehouse. The offices where I worked were placed right above the loading bays, where the trucks would back in, park and idle for hours. Ah, the joys of truck exhaust drifting around the office.

The fabric store I worked at was put in a building that was tall enough to be a two-story. And with all the excess merchandise we got sent, it would really have been nice to have a second story to store it, but no. No, we just had an impossibly high-up ceiling, air conditioning vents that were eighteen feet up in the air so that any cool air that came out dissipated into the rest of the hot, stifling air by the time it came down to human level.

Public restrooms tend to suffer a lot from bad layout. I've seen stalls that are about two feet wide, TP-holders butting right up against the side of the toilet, restrooms with five stalls and only one sink, you name it. How freaking difficult is it to use a bit of common sense when putting things together?!
                Last edited by XCashier; 08-03-2018, 02:27 AM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  How freaking difficult is it to use a bit of common sense when putting things together?!
                  Hah. Common sense? Everything's done to the letter of the law; we had situations where breakrooms were right next door to toilets because they'd installed an extra physical door into an archway in order to short-circuit the regs on legal separation between food prep and waste disposal (must be X distance, or Y number of rooms apart. Add a door, and bingo - it's an extra room further away.)
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Back in the day, a company I worked for built a new HQ building from the ground up. For the most part, it was done well.

Except for one group of engineers who needed big CRT monitors.

Their cubes were put right above the main electrical vault. With their big CRT monitors.

It was, from what I remember, about $50k to add a big, grounded steel plate into the floor of that area to stop the monitors from going crazy.

Oooops!

B
                    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                      Couple years later in another one our data centers, we had a UPS that took up smoking and caused the fire suppression system to go off. The vibration frequency that the nozzle of the fire suppression system was the perfect frequency that it caused 5 of the six hard drives to fail in our main storage array that was next to it.
                      Can confirm that fire suppression is a) damnable loud and b) hates drives. One customer site I worked on had an unplanned fire suppression event (failed to service for so long that pressure valves failed. The HSE was Seriously Unimpressed) That resulted in practically every spinning disk drive in the whole data centre deciding to give up. 120dBA of noise was quoted. Dozens of drives..
                      Last edited by bunrotha; 08-06-2018, 12:10 PM. Reason: typoman strikes again!

Comment

I constantly see this too. Like having to repair something that fell off the wall because the $15 lifetime warranty cadmium plated grade 8 bolts that held it on were substituted with ten cent non-coated grade 2 Chinese steel ones. You didn't want to pay extra that "wasn't needed" when you put it on the wall, but here we are, 3 years later, and looking at costs in down-time and repairs that add up to about $5,000 for that $14.90 you saved.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Or put it together and never look at it again/do maintenance. I've seen a few idiots in action who had thousands for emergency repairs, but not a damned dime for maintenance.

Comment

Squeee Gravekeeper is here!
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                            X