This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No free coffee for you!

Dude comes in holding a couple of empty coffee cups and asks for two refills.

I look at him and say, "You just came in from outside with these cups, and this is the first time I'm seeing you today."

"Yeah, and?"

"No free refills. You only get those during the same visit - you leave the store, you have to buy them all over again."

"Uh...oh. Okay, so how much are a couple of medium double-doubles?"

I told him the price, took his money, and made his coffee.

After he left, one of my managers asked me if I gave him refills. I told her that I made him pay for his coffees and that I told him that I knew he hadn't been in at all today, and that I explained the refill policy. Apparently I'm the first person who has called the guy out on his little act. But then I tend to be the one who catches all of the folks that try this particular scam.

Good call.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Good grief. If he's that broke he needs to get on food stamps.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        Good grief. If he's that broke he needs to get on food stamps.
        If he's that broke he shouldn't be buying overpriced coffee from a coffee shop!
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

When did "top-ups while you're here" morph into "infinite drinks for as long as you can keep the cups intact"?
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

One of the tricks that I've seen the homeless do is find an acceptable cup somewhere (don't ask, if you can't figure it out) and ease into a busy place and get 'refills'.

As for the coffee guy in the OP, that may just be a cheapskate who's figured out the trick, and has the brass to get his 'refills' from a person instead of blending in at a machine.

Comment

We don't offer free refills, but we offer refills at a discount price: bring your own cup (or bring one of our cups back) and fill it for less than the cost of a small.

It's been a long time since I've had someone lie about having brought a cup in with them, but it's not like it never happens.
              But far more common is someone who will bring their cup back, make sure the cashier sees it on their way in, then throw it away and get a new cup and try to get the refill price.

Comment

This made me think about the vid of the soda fight in MCdees thats going around the net right now.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                  As for the coffee guy in the OP, that may just be a cheapskate who's figured out the trick, and has the brass to get his 'refills' from a person instead of blending in at a machine.
                  That's my take-and KuariKaydrith is likely the first one to call this EW on his scam.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                  X