X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who know about banks

I'm being harassed by my bank.

I have a credit card there. My first credit card expired last year, and I got another one. The woman at the bank told me that the debt from the old card had been transferred to the new card. Okay, so I can make payments on the debt online.

Except that, some months ago, the bank suddenly decided that I still owed money on the old card. Oh, joy! Even better, I can't make payments on it. Why? Because the fucking account is closed, that's why.

I keep getting text messages telling me that my card is blocked, which is fucking stupid because the card expired last year. Even if I wanted to use it, I couldn't. I can't make payments to the debt using online banking, because the fucking account is closed. I can only make payments on the debt connected with my valid credit card. You know - the one that they said already had the debt from the old card transferred to it.

I have made calls. I have sent emails. I have visited the main branch of the bank.

Today, I got a letter telling me that my card was blocked (the old one, of course), and that I needed to pay X amount before it would be unblocked. Because I'm suffering so much from not being able to use my old, expired card, no doubt.

I'm at the end of my rope with this bullshit. I sent a very angry email with lots of capital letters, outlining exactly what had happened, and the bank responded with an email that, among other things, said, "We're sorry that the people at your branch told you all the debt had been transferred."

Well, yes, of course they did, because it had. If they don't have the correct information, who does? And how could they NOT have the correct information, when it is right there in the account information?

So. Anyone have any ideas how to handle this?

Are you in the U.S.?

If so, look up the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_D..._Practices_Act

If you're not, see if your country has something equivalent, and use it.

That might be helpful.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Do you have all the bank statements that can prove your position that all the debt was transferred?
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Does the expired card have the same number as the old one? If yes, any debt should have automatically carried over to the new one--that's how my credit cards work.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Find the appropriate government agencies and file a petition with them to look into the matter. Also send a copy to your congressmen, state and national.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Contact your bank, get copies of the first couple of statements of your new card, and the statement for the old card when the balance was transferred, and any subsequent statements for the old card (if any).

Comment

In addition to all the above excellent advice, get a free copy of your credit report. You can do that once a year at www.annualcreditreport.com or call 877-322-8228. That will tell you if your bank is still reporting a balance on the old card and if they're showing the payments as past due. If they're reporting incorrect information, they are required to correct it. You can follow up with your local credit bureau office if they refuse, and if they still refuse after being contacted by the credit bureau, you can file a dispute which will show up if anybody else pulls your credit report.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

A little more info.

I'm not in the States.

I don't get reports. I pay online, and the bank harasses me when someone decides that I owe money to a credit card account that has been closed (closed to me, anyway, though it seems they still have it open somewhere, or believe it is still open).

The new card has an entirely different number from the old card.

I don't receive statements for the bank account to which the card is connected.

I talked with my lawyer friend, who gave some very good suggestions. I'm going to tell them once again, in an email, to stop harassing me and fix the problem, or I will report them to the banking authority here.

Comment

Why would an expired card have a different number? The only time a credit card number would change is when a card is reported lost or stolen. Expiring cards just get a new expiration date and cvv code. But when a card number does change due to loss or theft, then you are NOT liable for the debt on the old card #. Period.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Did you change credit card type when the card expired and that’s why the numbers are new? When the card expired, did you close the account? I’m in Canada, when cards expire a new one is automatically mailed to the card holder a couple of months before expiry and the card numbers are the same (just expiration and code on the back differ)

Check your new card statements, they’re available online. If the balance transfer was done, you will see the debt added onto your new card (it should look like a purchase, kind of). Once you see that, call the credit card company and go over the transactions or physically go into your branch and discuss it. I don’t recommend emails for this kind of situation, too many back and forths to be done.
                    Last edited by Slayer; 11-29-2018, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I don't know why it has a different number; I guess that's just the way things are done around here. It's caused me no end of trouble, though.

The thing is, it wasn't until well AFTER I got the new card, and payments were happening regularly on the new account, that the bank suddenly decided I owed them money. It didn't happen right away.

Comment

Your statements are your defense.

Comment

IANAL, but I can tell you this much: If they take you to court over that amount then they have to present the judge with the list of charges you've supposedly made. I'd recommend your sending them a registered letter asking for a statement of charges since the card was transferred. If they refuse that the judge won't be happy with them.

They could always avoid court and just send you to collections and ruin your credit though, and that'd be annoying for you to dispute (though not impossible). If you aren't planning on any home/auto loans any time soon you might find that acceptable.

Comment

I haven't made any charges on that card since well before it expired. The fuckup arises from the fact that, apparently, the entire debt wasn't transferred to the new card, and some numbnuts kept the old account open (despite the fact that the card expired almost two years ago). I keep getting automated messages telling me that I have to make my payment, and that the card has been blocked because the payment is late.

Oh, and this morning? I got a text message telling me that the card has been unblocked, so I can use it again.

Oh, such joy! I can now try to use my expired card again! I'm sure that would go over well.

Comment

Get the details on what amount of the balance wasn't moved, and try to get an explanation why. Make sure there's been no activity since then. And if they've unblocked it, I strongly recommend you reblock it immediately. At this point, you can't be sure the card hasn't been compromised and is being used by someone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X