This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess you can't argue with that.

Was at the grocery store buying a few things, walked up to a register which welcomed me with a high pitched 'SQUEAK!'. The register itself did not make this noise, mind you, nor did the cashier. Rather it came from a small squeaky frog toy sitting by the conveyor that the customer ahead of me squeezed.

Thinking nothing of it, I get in line, watch the cashier speedily ring people through and right on cue, another 'SQUEAK!' Cashier does a fine job of looking like this is not bothering him in the least but I'm starting to get a little irked by the fact that no one seems to be actually buying the squeaky toy, it's just there sitting idly on one side tempting people with its adorable big eyes.

I get closer to the register, there's now only one person in front of me. She looks at the frog and...yep, you guessed it, reaches over and 'SQUEAK!'.

Finally I manage to get close enough to see the reason behind this somewhat lemming-like behavior: the frog has "SQUEEZE ME FOR GREAT SERVICE" written on it in black pen. Unable to stem my now blooming curiosity I hold it up for the cashier and ask if his register is meant to come with the frog by default. He says it's there if the store gets busy and someone wishes to request the register be opened. I point out it's currently 11 AM on a weekday and there surely can't be a need for such when the store is almost empty.

His response? "Well you never know, we could get a rush in. Besides, it plainly states you're supposed to squeeze it so it's not like anyone is doing anything wrong."

As the title states, one can scarcely protest such a basic point.
    Last edited by Limescale; 07-08-2015, 07:14 PM.

At least he's taking it in stride and.. well... didn't shoot the stupid thing. At least not where a customer saw it. He probably took it out back and put it out of his misery.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Unless "I" was the one who placed it there, wanting people to squeak it, this would drive me batty. I can't imagine working an 8-hour shift, standing there, bored and sore, and constantly hearing that high pitched squeak. Surely it was only "cute" the first 50 times.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Hey, coulda been worse.

I took my kids to a Mart of Wal a few weeks ago; it was getting late and they were a little off their heads cranky. While my wife was on line (interminably; they were having a problem with the scanner with the customer ahead of her, and it was too late to switch lines) I wandered the front end looking for somewhere they could sit. Vision center is closed, no chairs anywhere else... finally we wandered into the area where the photo stuff is, where there are stools to sit on while you use the printers. This MofW also uses that area for temporary parking for the go-back wagons; one wagon had stuff from the pet area. At the top of the wagon was a pink rubber pig about the size of my fist. I picked it up and squeezed it gently, and I hear "OINK!!"

OK, this is gonna be good. I sneak up behind the kids, where they're playing with the photo kiosk, and . . .

"OINK!!"

They jumped, and then fell over laughing. I handed it over, and they spent the next ten minutes oinking and giggling. When we finally got out of there, they handed it over to another little kid whose parents were there for a return.

Comment

It's better than Safeway, who did the "Woohoo" when someone donated to whatever cause they were begging for. If the loud Woohoo's every 4 minutes weren't bad enough, they started announcing it over the intercom and yelling Woohoo through there, thanks to some bright idiot from corporate. I started complaining every time I went in about it. It was seriously obnoxious.

when they finally stopped doing it, the cashiers said that they had so many complaints and lost so much business that corporate finally put an end to it. I felt bad for the cashiers. They hated it as much as I did

Comment

Quoth April View Post
            It's better than Safeway, who did the "Woohoo" when someone donated to whatever cause they were begging for.
            In Sims 3, Woohoo is a euphemism for sex.

the frog has "SQUEEZE ME FOR GREAT SERVICE" written on it in black pen. Unable to stem my now blooming curiosity I hold it up for the cashier and ask if his register is meant to come with the frog by default. He says it's there if the store gets busy and someone wishes to request the register be opened.
            Also, I'm not actually sure I get the point of the frog in the OP, were you supposed to squeeze it if you WANTED great service, if you HAD great service, or if you wanted a new lane to be opened?
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

NAR - To the latter: I think it was meant to call a cashier to an empty line if they had been redlining/checking shelves or otherwise away from the register. As for woohoo (or whoopiee)...hell, it was called that back on the game shows back in the 70's I just can't see Isaac Hayes using it in a song, tho >_>

~ I'm gonna make woohoo to ya wo-maaan, I'm gonna lay you down by the fi-ya...~
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X