This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Craziness

My husband and I decided to replace our washer and dryer. So I found out that a certain home improvement store that rhymes with Schmo's was running a promotion where if you got one of the store credit cards, you can either get 18 months with no interest, or 5% off for life.

So husband and I got o Schmo's and find a set we'd like to buy. Then we talk with one of the employees in the appliance department, tell him what we want, and agree to get the super fancy hose with a lifetime warranty, and agree to purchase a 5 year warranty that will cover any issues, parts and labor. That employee directs us to customer service to apply for the credit card, and to check out, so we head up there.

I apply for and am approved for the card tell the customer service lady that I want the 18 months no interest offer, and she rings everything up. I pay for the majority on the store's credit card, but have to use my personal credit card to cover the rest. We get checked out and head home.

I made my first payment on the new credit card and all is well. I go to make another payment two weeks later (I always pay twice a month to pay more than the minimum amount), and find that I am indeed being charged interest.

I called up the credit center, and they said there was nothing they could do on their end, I'd have to go back to the store we purchased the washer and dryer from. So we headed there, and I explained the situation to customer service. Customer service lady says that we were probably given the 5% off instead.

She looks it up in the system and we weren't given either offer. I told her that we definitely want the 18 months offer, and that we specified that at the time of purchase. The CSR wants to call the credit center and make them deal with it, because it's apparently a complicated and time consuming process for them to do it at the store. I told her that I'd talked to the credit center, and was told it would be handled in the store, but she still wants to call them, which I understand.

So she calls them up, they tell her it's not their issue, and there's nothing they can do on their end, handle it in store. After that she and another CSR debated over how much I was actually going to get refunded. We bought the washer and dryer on sale, and now it was on sale for an even lower price, but they don't want to refund us the new lower price since we'd be getting back more than we paid for the set. The price wasn't an issue to me, I was fine with getting back the amount we originally paid I just wanted my 18 months of no interest. They finally decide to refund us back the original amount we paid.

Then we run into another problem, re-ringing and paying for the entire transaction again. They refunded the store's credit card, no problem, but if they refunded my other credit card it would take several days for the refund to hit, and I couldn't charge the remaining amount to the card again, because I didn't have that much available. So they are trying to figure out a way to get it refunded, then they finally ask if they can just refund me the remaining amount on a store gift card and pay the remainder that way, which was fine with me. (I'm not sure why that wasn't given as an option earlier). So we got everything refunded and paid for again.

Then I ask them how do I get refunded the amount of interest I was charged, since it shouldn't have been charged in the first place, and I was told, "Oh you'll have to call the credit center for that."

The whole ordeal in the store took over an hour. The customer service area didn't seem to have a lot of employees working and I took up 1-2 people's time for over an hour. So of course a huge line of other customers forms, and they don't have enough employees to deal with them all quickly, never called for more assistance and the other customers were shooting me dirty looks the entire time. My husband and two kids were with me, and roamed the store for awhile, then finally bought a snack and drinks and went to wait on me in the car because it took so freaking long to get everything dealt with. I called the credit center about being refunded the interest and that was only a 5 minute phone call at least but I'm still kind of annoyed that we had to go through the entire ordeal in the first place.
    Last edited by boringscreenname; 06-19-2015, 11:06 PM.

at least they got it fixed.

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
      at least they got it fixed.
      Yea, and you bet the OP wasn't going to give up on that one - the interest rate on my 'schmoes' card is like 29.75%. (I took the pct off deal and paid the whole mess off before acruing any interest).
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Ugh. I like my local Schmoe's, and the folks there are friendly and willing to help, but it sucks when they're short-handed and they just don't know what they're doing. It took nearly an hour for me to fill out the paperwork to have a storm door installed, with nearly 20 min. spent because I decided I no longer wanted to pay to have them haul away the old door ($10 fee). He couldn't figure out how to change the contract to remove the fee. And apparently he never fixed it, even after thinking he did. When the installer came, he said the contract still asked him to haul away the old door. Whatever, it was easier than me doing it.

Also on that same trip, I had a 10% off coupon to use. I asked the cashier if it rang up, because the total seemed off. She assured me it was fine. It wasn't. Neither she or a manager could fix it, so I had to go to customer service for a refund. Fortunately they were able to fix it quickly.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I've had hell with their credit cards too. Oh man I think I have a thread on here about it. It's horrible dealing with that stuff especially when no one can figure out how in the hell to fix it and then it messes up the credit card. Ugh.

Comment

Oh crap, we just purchased a gazebo and outdoor dining set on their credit card. Off to check the statement.

Comment

My husband works at Schmo's and while we haven't had those types of issues the one thing I don't like is he has a choice of either getting his employee discount or the discount using his Schmo's card but not both. I used to work at another store (think lots of red) and we got our discount, plus the credit or debit discount (they offered both) plus any other coupons, etc.
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Why call for extra help if nobody is going to respond anyway? At our store, you can page till you're blue in the face, and if most of the managers can't pull a cashier off another register to help you, too bad, so sad. Their important facebook browsing in the office won't wait, after all.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                X