This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read what I wrote!!

So we are currently in the process of migrating a customer’s servers from one data center to a new one. We just finished phase one this past weekend, and it's all complete except for one customer whose application is now extremely slow and timing out.

Ok, I understand this is a problem, and I'm willing to help, but I can only do so much.

The initial email says there is a problem with the application, it's running slow, please fix it. (I'm paraphrasing)

I log into the server, check for memory utilization, processor utilization, event logs, application logs, everything looks good.

I email them back, tell them what I found, tell them they need to get the vendor, with whom they have a support contract to provide support.

I explain to them the troubleshooting steps they need to take, how to try and isolate the issue.

I explain that all I can do is check the server, which I've done. Until they can give me specifics on what, if anything needs to be done on the server to fix the problem, there is nothing else I can do to help.

I don't know the application, I've never seen it, or heard of it. I don't know who it works, I don't know how the users connect to the application, I don't know if the application uses a local database, I don't know if it performs all of its functions locally or across the WAN/LAN.

So I get an email today, the vendor has looked at the problem and says it's not the app, how are we going to fix this? Then there is another email with a screen shot, "see, it's timing out, stuck at 3%, she can't close the batch"

So what part of "I don't know anything about this application do they not get??!! What part of I can only change something on the server, after someone tells me what needs to be changed?

Seriously people especially you Mr. Application owner. You're supposed to be the guru on the application, you tell me how it works. That plus the fact there have already been two or three emails stating Networking needs to check the network traffic to see if there is any latency between where the users are and where the server is.

Why aren't you bothering them, I CAN'T HELP YOU!!!!!
Working...
X