X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuck you Amazon

Well, that's $200 I'll never see again.

I bought a Kindle Fire last summer. I enjoyed it. Now it won't charge anymore. I've tried several different chargers in several different outlets and nothing. Tried the 30-second reboot trick and nothing. I read that Kindle Fires have problems with their charging ports.

And the fucker's two months out of warranty, so Amazon will just tell me "sorry, life's tough, but we want to keep you as a customer so here's a trivial discount on our most expensive Kindle Fire HD that you can't afford anyway."

If anybody needs me, I'll be smashing my $200 into little pieces with a hammer as a warning to all my other electronic devices.

modedit/merge:

Am chatting with an Amazon rep now.

They will replace my Kindle, but are making it clear I'm getting an exception I wouldn't normally be entitled to. If this same problem occurs with the replacement, I'm SOL.

That's as good as can be expected I guess, but now I enter replacement device purgatory.
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Did you try cutting it totally off and everything and then trying to charge it once you turn it back on?
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

eBay:

Kindle Fire, brand new in box.....

Comment

Mom has had this problem several times with hers. I think there is a major overall defect that no one is fixing.

Comment

There's a huge problem with the charging ports. Amazon has replaced my son's Kindle Fire twice now, and I got a promise in writing that they will keep replacing it for that specific problem for as long as my son is still using it. Of course, I had the "poor, cute, disabled kid" weapon, and a scary sounding lawyer friend that helped me out with the few dozen calls that finally got them to produce that letter.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that it's industry wide - the blasted microusb connectors are simply too small. The cable end has too much mechanical leverage, and there simply isn't enough material on the device end to properly secure it to the board/case/whatever.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              eBay:

Kindle Fire, brand new in box.....
              If you were suggesting I resell it on ebay....no. That's just dishonest.

Anyhow, looks like my "free replacement" will not be free after all. Fucking printer decided to run out of ink as I was printing the return label. So said label may or may not be scannable.

That will be 40 or 50 bucks for new ink cartridges please. And don't even think about buying the aftermarket re-filled ones--the money-grubbers at Hewlett-Packard are wise to that little trick.

Might just be cheaper to write all the information on the package and pay the UPS costs out of pocket after I get back from vacation. The link to the return label expires in 7 days.

FML.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Go to the library to print it? Friend's house? Work? There can be other options. You can also try taking it out, shaking it and then trying again for that one sheet on a low setting.

I get my HP cartridges refilled all them time. Only costs $15-$25 for the ones I have.

Comment

Oh, you might also be able to save the return label (ex. as a PDF) until you're ready to print it.

Sorry for two posts, couldn't edit my first one.

Comment

Whatever you might say about dot-matrix and daisy-wheel printers, the ribbon didn't run out suddenly - you always had plenty of warning, and it would print badly but legibly for ages in an emergency. Apparently, even a printer that has been sitting around for over a decade will still usually work without difficulty, although you might need to manually advance the ribbon to a part that hasn't dried out, and possibly apply machine oil to the odd moving part.

Laser printers are also pretty robust to a lesser extent. You can expect the toner to last many hundreds of pages and not dry out over time. There might be other parts that wear out differently, but you are rarely left suddenly without a functioning printer.

In short, inkjets suck.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      In short, inkjets suck.
                      No, they blow...

teeny tiny driplets...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Put it on a flash drive and take it to Staples and get them to print it for you? It'll cost about 50 cents - I do this all the time for important documents so that I don't have the risk of the ink running if it accidentally gets damp.
                        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                          Whatever you might say about dot-matrix and daisy-wheel printers, the ribbon didn't run out suddenly - you always had plenty of warning, and it would print badly but legibly for ages in an emergency.
                          Not necessarily - I once had a daisy wheel that would suddenly run out of ribbon. Of course, it used a film ribbon, which was a "one-shot" rather than the endlessly looping fabric ribbon used by a dot-matrix.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            I was, but VERY much tongue-in-cheek. Hard to get that across in print, sorry.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

FML.
                              On the other hand, you can probably buy a new one on Ebay for a lot less. Should you need to.
                              Women can do anything men can.
                              But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                              Maxine

Comment

Working...
                              X