This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Thing from Yesterday

Not so much a clueless luser thing or anything like that, but it's IT related, so I'll put it here.

User calls me up yesterday because his computer monitor abruptly went into "power save" mode, as it does when there's no input going to the monitor, such as when it's been idling for a while or if the computer itself is turned off.

Only, the user had been typing away in a report he was writing for quite some time prior to it shutting down. And it wasn't responding to any more input. Keyboard, mouse, neither worked.

SOP at The Client is if this happens, reboot the machine. Do NOT meddle with the cables and connectors in the back of the machine, because the average user is not really IT savvy enough to know what they're doing. (i.e.-- leave it for the professionals to do

As it happens, the user had recently been transitioned over to "ENVY," a new desktop environment that The Client is using. (NOTE-- this is just what I'm calling it for the purposes of obfuscation.)

After I told him he's gonna have to reboot his machine, he gave a sad little laugh and said, "I thought the ENVY environment was going to be more stable."

I replied, "Well, yes, but we're still using the same old hardware, so..." which got another sad little laugh from him. He said he'd reboot and call back if the issue persisted.

All this comes down to the usual IT mantra-- "Crashes happen. Save often."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    I'm so used to this that I often hit ctrl+s on docs that I've just opened...
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I wrote so often in my spare time that it's become habit for me, every time I hit a break or have to stop to let my brain catch up with my fingers, I hit Ctrl+S.

It always boggles my mind that people aren't doing the same thing. It seems so elementary to me.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

It always boggles my mind that people aren't doing the same thing. It seems so elementary to me.
        Be glad the (l)users don't get it.

It keeps us employed - and the local bar/beer/liquor store in business.

B
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I remember when word processors and the like came with an auto-save feature. What happened to that?

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            I remember when word processors and the like came with an auto-save feature. What happened to that?
            They have auto-save at The Client, but that doesn't help when the auto-save saves the files to the temp folder on the hard drive, which gets wiped when the user logs out for the day. Unless the user saves to their network drive first, that is.

Comment

They have auto-save at The Client, but that doesn't help when the auto-save saves the files to the temp folder on the hard drive, which gets wiped when the user logs out for the day. Unless the user saves to their network drive first, that is.
              Then that "feature" is worthless. But you knew that.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                Then that "feature" is worthless. But you knew that.
                On the contrary. The feature works perfectly fine when used the proper way. (i.e., after the user has manually saved the document themselves to a proper location)

The only thing "worthless" are the users who don't use it properly.

But the same can be said of virtually everything IT-related.

Nothing technological survives 30 seconds in the hands of the end user.

Comment

This reminded me of the stories I heard from my mother. She used to work in a construction company, and they would apply to various projects for the state. At some point, they started getting pre-made programs where they would input their quotes for the project. The first time they were given such a program, they found out that it was impossible to save after they entered everything (a single project would have thousands of parts, so it took hours to fill in everything - on this particular project, they started at 8 in the morning and finished at 10 in the evening). Everybody was pretty p.o-ed, and for that particular project the commission hired students which then re-entered everything to a fixed version of the program.

But it was still several years before the program would allow them to save in the middle, and continue later (and this was still in the times when everybody was using Windows 9x).

Comment

On the contrary. The feature works perfectly fine when used the proper way. (i.e., after the user has manually saved the document themselves to a proper location)
                    So to clarify, if they save it to the perm location, then autosave will save to the perm location?

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                      So to clarify, if they save it to the perm location, then autosave will save to the perm location?
                      Correct.

If they don't bother to save it to a permanent location, the autosave will stick it in a temporary location, which will get purged the next time they log out and/or the computer reboots.

Comment

Working...
                      X