This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I'm an Idiot.

So, my Mom bought herself an Ipad 2. Seeing as she's not very technically minded, she asked me to set it up for her, since I'm visiting for the holidays.

So I start the thing up, and it absolutely cannot find her wireless network. Well, I don't know much about networks, so I tried just typing in the name and password, but that didn't work, so I open up the router settings to take a look around, but I can't see anything that I know what it does, so Mom calls up Gary, her local computer guy. Miraculously enough (it being New Year's Eve and it normally taking about two weeks to reach him), she gets him on the line, so he remotes into her computer and changes the router settings so that the Ipad can see the network. Wonderful! I say goodbye to Gary and send him off to enjoy his New Years.

Dammit! The Ipad still won't connect to the network. So I change the password to something that I can be sure I am typing correctly. Damn! Still won't connect. It's about this point that I realize my major error. Can you guess what it is? That's right, I forgot that most basic of troubleshooting steps, restarting the damn machine. So I restart the Ipad, but it still won't connect, but it is rejecting the connection much faster. Hey! Guess what else I didn't do! I didn't restart the router! So I lug my ass upstairs and restart the router. Nope. Still won't connect. So I restarted the Ipad one more time, and Voila! It works! Yaaaay.

Later this evening I got online to print out my boarding pass on the wireless printer (my plane leaves sunny Florida at 6am, fun times), but when I went to get it from the printer it wasn't there. Hmm, that's odd. I'm not getting any error messages, and it has plenty of paper. So I try again. Nope, nothing. So I restart the printer. Nothing.

Now, if you were paying careful attention, you will have realized my mistake. That's right, I reset the wireless password. Long story short, I now have about 400 copies of my boarding pass, and the wireless password is back to the original one. Now I just have to remember to tell Mom, and change the password in her Ipad before I leave.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Easily done my friend.

Interesting and related observation: Has anyone else noticed a particular dislike of WPA2 with these fancy tablets?

Comment

Anecdatum- My Kindle Fire latched right on to my wifi.

Comment

Quoth heyheadmaster View Post
        Easily done my friend.

Interesting and related observation: Has anyone else noticed a particular dislike of WPA2 with these fancy tablets?
        My iRiver HD Story would not connect to WPA2 with the original firmware. I updated it from a download and a USB connection, then it connected OK and found a later update.

It is quite new so it should have known about WPA2...

Comment

My Transformer Prime works pretty well with my WPA2 network and that's even with all the purported wifi issues that the TF Prime has.

Comment

Easily done my friend.

I've got one of the first iPads and haven't had a bit of trouble with it and WPA2. Haven't had any problems, either, with my nook, laptop, or phone.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Easily done my friend.
              Very much so, even if you are used to playing with such kit if you are in a rush etc it's so easy to make a daft mistake and then spend hours trying to track down what's gone wrong.

I can remember spending about 20 mins in front of a customer trying to work out why their computer wouldn't fire up (It had the day before when I'd phoned them to tell them it was finished) only to find when I'd come in that day I'd dumped my laptop bag on the workbench and hit the emergency shutdown button for the tech bay's power supply.

The Virgin Media "superhub" has major issues with Apple kit, even laptops but the frankly the only thing super about it is how cr*p it is. Otherwise I've never seen major issues with Apple kit* and routers although a few of the Android ones can be a bit more problematic.

Although to be fair I think most of the networking kit provided by ISPs isn't great cause it's down to the lowest cost. A couple of years ago I forked out about £120 on a Draytek 2820n router and have never had a problem with it, it's built in VPN server is great when I'm away on business in hotels as well.

*I used to work as a Tech for PCWorld/Currys, the only non-Apple retailer to get the iPad 1 at launch so I saw my fair share of computer stupidities.
              Not y3k compatible

Comment

Easily done my friend.

Or what a pain in the ass MAC filters are with smartphones, tablets or gaming systems?
                I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Quoth MelodiousBubbles View Post
                  Or what a pain in the ass MAC filters are with smartphones, tablets or gaming systems?
                  ^ this is what I was just about to point out. I suspect the *original* problem was MAC filtering.
                  Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                  What's the difference?
                  We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I've had to support a few of these, and I've found some of the earlier generation tablets can be rather finicky when it comes to wireless connections.

I've also found consoles sometimes don't like WPA2.
                    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Working...
                    X