This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was fun to find

Got a new customer on the paper route today. It was a very fun address to find.

Address was an apartment on 1234 street. So I went to 1236 street, as past experience has taught me that the back portion of this L-shaped building has a 1234 street address. There's no building numbers indicating this, not even numbers on the utility boxes, and you can't tell from the main street that there's an entire additional section of building back there anyway. I had to figure this out by process of elimination long ago.

I pulled into the alley and around the building. My apartment was 101. The alley is level with the second floor where all the units start with 201. In front of and below is an open-air garage "parking pit" with walkways leading over to get to the units. I peered down and didn't see any units below; as far as I'd always known, it was just parking down there.

I decided to go explore the garage anyway. I looked around and no, just cars and parking spaces. I was about to give up when I noticed a small hallway off to the side. It looked like it was just pedestrian access to get out of the building, but you know, that little hall was maybe 15 feet long...could be long enough for a small room...so I went down...

...and there, on the other side, were the 100-level units, not visible from any street, parking, or alley, no signage indicating that tucked away down there is a row of teeny tiny studio apartments (based on the distance between doors and the length of that hall I estimate 300 square feet per unit, max).

These weren't the most difficult apartments I've had to find, but considering I've been delivering to this 'hood for 8 years and have gotten familiar with all the odd complexes, I'm impressed there are still hidden units I haven't discovered yet...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

It sounds like a depressing place to live. Do they even have full size windows or are they below ground?

Comment

I hate to say this but welcome to my world.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
        It sounds like a depressing place to live. Do they even have full size windows or are they below ground?
        They have windows that look into trees. Probably don't get much light there but I've seen some that are true basement apartments and these aren't that bad. (I live in a half-basement myself but seem to get plenty of light.) If someone likes seclusion it's probably not a bad set of units to live in (though it's right next to the University so you're still gonna shell out big $$ for a small space).
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I have a few stories about hard to find places.

One place I had to call and ask for directions when I was outside of the building.
          This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            They have windows that look into trees. /snip (though it's right next to the University so you're still gonna shell out big $$ for a small space).
            When I was moving back I looked at a first floor apartment which had full windows, but faced some trees and brush... It was so dark and smelled like mold. I told the guy I couldn't take the dark, and he was like "I couldn't live in this unit either." I'm happy I passed, because it's next to a motel which was just condemned and there has been a shooting there.

Also, some of the places near the college are not too expensive, but trashy x1000. Almost none allow cats, so I didn't even bother. But I saw the pricing, and while it's not terrible for some, you're right some are stupid expensive. However, I've heard that unless you have no other choice, don't live there. Non-responsive management, very run down units, and super loud parties. Sorry I always babble about apartments, even though I renewed my lease I check listings all the time, just to see what's out there. Next time I move it might be out in the county, since places are so much cheaper and more private.

ETA: Hey, they put a pot shop on the corner, lol.
            Last edited by notalwaysright; 09-29-2015, 09:43 PM.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Also, some of the places near the college are not too expensive, but trashy x1000.
              I live in your town, remember? I live in some of those apartments, lol. The DEA has raided my building before, which I think is enough to paint a picture of the type of place I live in. :P But the rent is super cheap (as far as this region is concerned, anyway).

According to my neighbors, the guy who lived in my unit before me was stabbed to death. IDK if that's true, but there is a giant hole in the bathroom door my landlord covered up with a mirror and you can see where another large hole was patched in the bedroom wall; we're talking 4'x6' hole here.

(Also, they're building another pot shop almost across the street from that one. And apparently we're getting a video arcade somewhere along that strip, too!)
              Last edited by bhskittykatt; 09-30-2015, 04:20 AM.

Comment

My part time delivery job is going ok EXCEPT for this one time where the huge, disorganized apartment complex was on the high way and had no way to go in there except this skinny little alley street that was well hidden. It was like going into the home of a ninja! Complete with confusing buildings! Finding the lady who had ordered the food was like finding a needle in a haystack. Instead of the building number going numerically it jumped all over the freaking place. When my boss called me the convo went like this:
                me: H-hello?
                Boss: This lady is wondering where her food is at? Did you find the building?
                Me: Yeah but it's like a fortress! I can't find the entrance! I asked the residents and not even THEY know!
                Boss: ...
                I wasn't lying.
                Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

My house was raided by the ATF when I was in middle school, and that was an upper middle class neighborhood. Fun times.

Back on topic, I remember looking at some pretty sketchy places when I was looking for a place in ND. Some of those basement apartments would be perfectly suited for a vampire.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                    I live in your town, remember? I live in some of those apartments, lol. The DEA has raided my building before, which I think is enough to paint a picture of the type of place I live in. :P But the rent is super cheap (as far as this region is concerned, anyway).

According to my neighbors, the guy who lived in my unit before me was stabbed to death. IDK if that's true, but there is a giant hole in the bathroom door my landlord covered up with a mirror and you can see where another large hole was patched in the bedroom wall; we're talking 4'x6' hole here.

(Also, they're building another pot shop almost across the street from that one. And apparently we're getting a video arcade somewhere along that strip, too!)
                    Oh, I'm so terrible with locations. In my head I picture the ones by the college as being in between the high school and the shopping center. And I picture the area you live as down near the park and the farmer's co-op. So yeah. But I'm not snobby about where I live, I just can't handle dark. One other place I lived in town was iffy... Now I point it out to friends, "see that upstairs apartment near the dumpster and outdoor(?) Shasta machine? That was my place! " But since it was upstairs it was amazingly bright and cheerful, and pretty safe during the day.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I once lived on 13th Bay st in Norfolk, VA ... the white slums [it was between 2 military bases, and had a high population of military, strippers, whores, bikers, and assorted others after the cheap rents. There was a moderately notorious murder in the building backing my duplex [a navy guy murdered his wife and left her mouldering in the bathtub, he was showering at a neighbors or at his workspace, claiming that his bathroom was backed up and the landlord wasn't responding. Oops.] and at one point I had to answer the door with a sidearm because a couple guys followed me back to my place wanting to know my price and getting angry because I was telling them to fuck off because I wasn't a whore. Then they parked in my driveway and started pounding on my door. They didn't like being face to face with a .44 Dan Wesson.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                      X