Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of two jobs, it turns out that just as I am starting job 2 I'll have to prep store #1 for the usual semi annual inspection. So I am going to put in about forty hours over the course of three days.
    Talk about timing. Ugh.

Comment

I'm... confused.

How is this even a thing? What the hell?

Seriously, I really am confused, how is it greedy to want to WORK more, to EARN more? XD

God, people sometimes.
      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

And just as an aside, I have a lot more respect for those who work hard, aka two jobs then those who choose not to work at all! And there are plenty of those out there too!

Comment

My main job (4days/week) pays for the basics (home, car, food, insurance, utilities). The second job (1 day/week) pays for retirement fund and any extra expenses. I don't want to have to dumpster dive in my old age, so yeah... second job.
          It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
            Someone even told me that I'm just being greedy and money hungry.
            I don't really see why it's really any concern of theirs (or anyone else's, for that matter) why you have a second job. Even if you DID decide to take a job to be "greedy and money hungry", as long as you feel you can handle both, so what?

Taking a second job is solely your prerogative, and your reasons are no one's but your own, and I don't feel you have to justify them to anyone.

I did a small "side" project for a guy once, for $700. Nobody I talked to said I was being greedy in the slightest.

Between my wife and I, we have twelve guitars. No one has ever said we're "greedy" because we have twelve guitars. We have them because we want them, and were able to afford them. And at some point, I plan on buying a 12-string, and upgrading a couple of others I have. That's no one's concern but ours (wife and I), either.

I would think that your friends/relatives would be more concerned with you wearing yourself out, as opposed to making some money.

I socialize. I'm not going out everyday but maybe once a week cuz it's expensive. I work on my hobbies. So it's not like I'm a workoholic or something.
            Perfectly acceptable. I have comments on this, one of which is better left to fratching, but I will say if YOU make the money, YOU can determine what you do with it.

Soooo...I'm just wondering. If someone told you that they got a 2nd job, would you think s/he was greedy and money hungry?
            Most likely not. I'd probably look at it like you were doing what you needed to do.

I make decent middle-class money, and I'm often looking for various other ways to make money on top of that. Why? A part of me wants to, and another part of me wants to be able to sock back as much as I can for retirement and college for my son.

As far as "greed" goes, look at it this way: Sometimes YOU have to look out for YOU.
            Last edited by mjr; 09-29-2015, 06:00 PM.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
              the 'greedy' ones are things like wanting more than you have, saving for school, saving to start a business, and so on.
              I'm not sure I follow you on this point. I may disagree with you a little, here.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post

As far as "greed" goes, look at it this way: Sometimes YOU have to look out for YOU.
                Totally agree. Which is why I've decided if by some miracle, I ever win multiple millions in the lottery, I come first. Too many stories of people who give it all away, and then are like wait, where did it all go? So I plan to take care of me, and my mom, and then everyone else.

Comment

Part the first: determine how much will allow my immediate family to live a lower-middle-class lifestyle (with maximum medical insurance in Aust.) solely from the interest - that being, the interest after inflation.
                  Sock that away wisely. Ensure our wills pass the premium to each other, until all of us are dead.

Part the second: buy a disability-friendly house, furnishings, etc that we can be happy in. Own it outright.

Part the third: Emergency money.

Part the fourth: fun money. Not a huge percentage, but enough to let us feel like we won something.

THEN I can start looking beyond my immediate family.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                  X