Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working for the Postal Service sucks. . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for the Postal Service sucks. . .

I'm job hunting. I'm in the National Guard. I had friends tell me that the United States Postal Service is a great employer for veterans.

So, several months ago I took the Postal Exam. I got a pretty good score, which was really good when combined with Veterans Preference (i.e. 5 extra percentage points on the exam due to my veteran status).

Well, a little over a month ago I got a job offer to deliver the mail in my city.

According to the job interview, the conditions of the job were: Part-time, only guaranteed 4 hours per week, but can often/usually work a full-time schedule with overtime usually available if desired, and OT may be mandatory during peak Christmas delivery season. You're probationary for 90 days, but don't get access to retirement benefits and health benefits for a year or so.

Well, when I actually start work for them, what I find instead is:
    It's "part time", but expect to never work less than 50 hours per week, with 60 hour workweeks being common, and 70 or 80 hour workweeks not being unheard of. The ONLY restriction on working hours is they can't work you more than 12 hours per day. 6 and 7 day workweeks are mandatory (thanks to Amazon deliveries on Sunday now), and to expect only one or two Sundays off per month as your only days off. . .and they have had employees go over 40 days without a single day off before. Also, as my co-workers said "be prepared to sell your soul to get a day off for any reason."

No vacation or sick leave time (or retirement/medical benefits) until you get "career" status. . .which is based entirely on seniority as career status employees retire/transfer and "casual" status employees are moved up, on a strictly seniority basis, to fill those positions. Once you make "career" status (which takes anywhere from a year to 3 or 4 years), then you get a 40 hour/5 day work-week, health/retirement benefits, sick & annual leave, and so on. Also, while you're on a sort of probation for your first 90 days and can be fired at any time, in this "casual" status you're also automatically fired after 360 days, and then re-hired for your old job if your supervisor wants you back. . .so you're never really free from that sword of Damocles until you get "career" status.

Supervisors love to tell you, if you try to complain about the hours, one of two things. One is "think of all the money you'll be making from all that overtime!". My rebuttal is a Han Solo quote: "What good is a reward if you're not around to spend it." and the other is to tell you "It sounds like you're not serious about a Postal career, if you aren't satisfied here we can replace you with someone more motivated to succeed."

So. I'm basically told, only half jokingly, that I'm Postal property and to enjoy my last day off with my family for a very long time before I go from training to my regular work assignment. When I report in at the Post Office to begin my field training, my various co-workers are all telling me things like "Quit now, while you can!" or "Get out now, before it's too hard to escape!". Morale was somewhere between low and nonexistent. I was warned in training that morale in many post offices was low, now I see why.

After my 3 field training days, I realized I couldn't do this. I'm a part-time graduate student, I have a wife and son, and I need to have time to work on my physical training for the military. I realized after just my 3 field training days that I would come home and just want to drink to deal with the stress, I couldn't bring myself to crack open my books for class, and I hadn't done any of the running I need to do for the Army.

I went in the next day and tendered my resignation. The station manager of that post office was remarkably sympathetic about it all, and told me that they have a huge attrition rate with new hires, she said that over 50% of new hires in that city didn't make it past the first 90 days, about a quarter of them do what I do and quit right out of training. . .and maybe only 10% of new hires make it through to career status.

Apparently she didn't know just how misleading the job interviews were about working conditions, and she said they aren't allowed by their higher-ups to hire enough new letter carriers to bring the workload down to a sane amount, so she understands completely when people quit, and she told me that if she had to start over now, with how they have to treat new hires, she didn't think she could have stuck with it either (she started many years ago, when they were much more sensible about how they treated newly hired letter carriers). I told her I didn't have a problem with the work itself, but with a family, and school as well, an above-40-hour workweek every week was completely untenable.

. . .and that was my short, unpleasant experience at the postal service.

That is a real eye-opener! I will never look at the Post Office the same way again...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
      That is a real eye-opener! I will never look at the Post Office the same way again...
      Well, apparently it was once a far, far better employer, before circa 2000.

In 2000, they introduced a part-time status for new employees. They didn't get "Career status" protections against termination and didn't have guaranteed work hours beyond just 4 hours per week, and didn't get into the retirement system, but otherwise it was a pretty good gig.

Things apparently got bad in 2010. In 2010, the USPS apparently wanted to start hiring temp workers. The union that represents Postal employees took the USPS to binding arbitration (by law and agreement, that union can't strike, if they have a grievance their only recourse is binding arbitration). The arbitrator basically dictated that the USPS COULD hire workers in a new status, that wouldn't technically be temps, but would have most of the downsides of a temp, very few of the benefits of a regular employee (basically they only get the same hourly pay), and very little protection through the union contract.

That's how that came about, the Postal Service wanted to hire temps, the union objected, and an arbitrator handed down this weird mutant status where you're not officially a temp, but treated like a temp, until you eventually get into a regular position.

Comment

o_O That... is bizarre. Wal-mart and other places are careful to work part-time workers only 35 hrs at most so they don't have to pay full-time benefits. It's crazy that the post office can get away with this.

Comment

It's the government, the government get all the best loopholes to ignore the law, both in spirit, and word.
          I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
          In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
            It's the government, the government get all the best loopholes to ignore the law, both in spirit, and word.
            Too true. I work for a local government - I'm hourly but considered salaried when it benefits _them_! Nobody else could get away with this...

Comment

I'm out of work and the job center trying to get me to do it due to being a vet also. Talking to people I heard the same things about the post office.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                o_O That... is bizarre. Wal-mart and other places are careful to work part-time workers only 35 hrs at most so they don't have to pay full-time benefits. It's crazy that the post office can get away with this.
                That's how it is with working for a city department here....with the employee group my position's in, part-timers can't go over 28 hours a week.

Comment

That really sucks. I was hoping to get a job at the Post Office myself, but if it's that bad, forget it.

Is it my imagination, or are an awful lot of employers looking to abuse their employees every way legally possible? I've heard an awful lot of similar stories: no breaks or lunches, working far too many days in a row, etc.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yeah, used to you'd kill to be a letter carrier. Now? You'd kill to avoid it. Prison would be a better option.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

USPS is a private institution now. It used to be government until a few decades ago. However, because of an act of congress, it still carries a lot of protections from the government.

My father tells me that its not so much the routes as the managers. Most, not all, that he has experience with seems to be incompetent. The managers can change routes the carriers take, much like gerrymandering a district. With someone who knows what they are doing, this practice is quite effective. However, it has been his experience that since most DO NOT know what they are doing, it results in routes that one carrier might have that is considered a cake walk, and a few routes that are considered the route to hell AND back. Sometimes not avoidable, but it can be mitigated, if they so choose.
                      However, if you like walking a lot, want to keep in shape, and really dont mind working (and taking tons of aspirin), the letter carrier job is not too bad itself.

Comment

Quoth Krivak View Post
                        USPS is a private institution now. It used to be government until a few decades ago. However, because of an act of congress, it still carries a lot of protections from the government.

My father tells me that its not so much the routes as the managers. Most, not all, that he has experience with seems to be incompetent. The managers can change routes the carriers take, much like gerrymandering a district. With someone who knows what they are doing, this practice is quite effective. However, it has been his experience that since most DO NOT know what they are doing, it results in routes that one carrier might have that is considered a cake walk, and a few routes that are considered the route to hell AND back. Sometimes not avoidable, but it can be mitigated, if they so choose.
                        However, if you like walking a lot, want to keep in shape, and really dont mind working (and taking tons of aspirin), the letter carrier job is not too bad itself.
                        It's actually in a weird hybrid status.

The US Postal Service is a corporation. . .that's 100% government owned and run.

They count as a government employer when it's handy for them, and count as a private employer when it's handy for them.

Yes, in my brief time there, they made it clear that there are "good" routes that are fairly short and easy, and "bad" routes that are several times longer and are expected to be done in the same amount of time. Routes are supposed to be assigned by seniority, but yeah, managers can also re-write routes, so you get one route, then it's changed on you to something worse.

In my short time there, I saw just how stunningly antagonistic management and the postal workers were. They warned me about it in training, but I didn't believe it until I got there, just how bad it was.

Comment

Hmm, didn't know of the hybrid status, although that's not too surprising. Like someone said before, it was a pretty good job to be one, now it's becoming worse and worse.

Comment

I'm starting to understand why there are so many 'now hiring postal workers' ads in the paper and on job-search websites. I thought something was peculiar about that; when I was a kid, we were all told that if you were a postal employee in good standing, you were set for life, with union protection, guaranteed promotions/raises, excellent benefits, fantastic pay, etc. Definitely a reality check now.

Comment

I guess you have to start young at the Post Office. You have no family and lots of energy. If you can put in your 4 years, you have a decent job. (Not perfect, but what job is?)

Comment

Working...
                              X