This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartbreak Motel

Yesterday was my first shift back at the crummy little chain motel where I used to work about seven years ago. It's weird to feel your life turning back on itself like that, especially when you are stepping back into an environment that has not changed one bit in your absence. You may not be able to go home again, but you can always go back to the places you detest. They're always there waiting for you, and they never change.

Such is the case with this little 46-room hellhole. Pay so low that no one gives a rat's ass about their job? Check. A million excuses as to why the maintenance is always deferred? Check. A corresponding list of lies to tell the guests, rather than simply admit that the owner does not now and never has cared about maintenance, but still expects you to pay upwards of $150 for a room with peeling wallpaper, dripping faucets, a random number of pillows and towels, flaking paint, stains on the carpet, burns on the walls, and cable and electrical outlets dangling by their wires?

Also check. Lest we forget, there is also the incessant nickle-and-diming. "Master of the House" is meant to be comic relief, not a credo, but you try telling the owner that.

Last night though, there were two new wrinkles. In one room, for instance, lives a blind, diabetic man who has been there since May for reasons that no one seems to be entirely sure of. His room is infested with roaches because -- according to the boss -- he has a habit of bringing in trash from outside, and the roaches can't be dealt with because the man cannot be moved, and also because we can't use any harsh, bug-killing chemicals around him due to his delicate condition.

Naturally, this is all so much bullshit. If the owner wanted to deal with the roaches, she could. Meanwhile, the roaches have spread to the next room, leading to the second wrinkle. Last night, a tearful woman arrived in a taxi with her son, a cat, and half a household's worth of furniture. She explained that she was fleeing an abusive boyfriend and begged me to let her stay, despite the fact only had enough money to cover half what we were charging for a room. I lobbied hard to get the owner to agree to let her stay, and finally prevailed.

We gave her the room with the roaches next to the dialysis patient who's been in house for going on four months. She was happy to have anything, but it still wasn't right, nor will it be right to be ordered to rent that room any other night and pretend not to know, then fight with the guests to avoid refunding their money.

Meanwhile, another room complained of horse flies in their room and brought one down, complete with maggots, in a napkin. We actually did refund his money and let him go... Only to check the room and rent it right back out.

This place is going to be hell on earth.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 09-12-2015, 06:55 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I'm shocked the bad reviews haven't been rolling in yet...

Comment

I can't believe that your version of Environmental Health hasn't been sicc'd on him yet, for the dangling electrical outlets if nothing else. How the heck is that up to code?
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I'm sorry you had to go back to that hellhole. Would OSHA be able to do anything about the crappy condition of the hotel? Or any other association?
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          I'm shocked the bad reviews haven't been rolling in yet...
          The motel has 19 Excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, 27 Very Good reviews, 36 Average, 29 Poor, and 63 Terrible reviews.

Comment

The motel I used to work at had 12 terrible, 1 good, 1 poor, 1 excellent. I say had because they're closed now. I think the Excellent was made by the owner/manager/maintenance guy. I wouldn't put it past him. Brrr. I think he took offense to the other reviews calling for it to be bulldozed and burned. :\
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
              second wrinkle. Last night, a tearful woman arrived in a taxi with her son, a cat, and half a household's worth of furniture. She explained that she was fleeing an abusive boyfriend and begged me to let her stay, despite the fact only had enough money to cover half what we were charging for a room. I lobbied hard to get the owner to agree to let her stay, and finally prevailed.

This place is going to be hell on earth.
              You know, that just breaks my heart. A woman fleeing an abusive situation with nowhere to go. Worse, having to be thankful for a room like that. Worse still, the knowledge that she probably has no idea what to do next.

There are days, I swear, that we are all actually in hell, and it only seems to be getting worse.

I feel for ya, ASW. I really do. I know how miserable it is to have to work for people who just don't give a shit.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                I can't believe that your version of Environmental Health hasn't been sicc'd on him yet, for the dangling electrical outlets if nothing else. How the heck is that up to code?
                I know of several local hotels that have a well-deserved reputation for being dumps. You don't hear of the chain hotels being like that. They have an image and a reputation to protect, and are less likely to defer repairs. People are more likely to complain at those hotels.

But, the crap ones, complete with the flickering "OTEL" signs in the shady parts of town? These ones are filled with roaches, litter, crackheads, prostitutes, bedbugs, and millions of violations. People are less likely to complain. Think about it, if you could only afford the local "roach motel" and had nowhere else to go--with the possible threat of being tossed if you complained--would you say anything?

A lot of the problem is that the entities that are supposed to be regulating such things...are stretched pretty thin by a lack of manpower or resources. From personal experience, it's a shitty job, with shitty pay. Many of the employees are overworked, making little pay, and eventually just don't care.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  I know of several local hotels that have a well-deserved reputation for being dumps. You don't hear of the chain hotels being like that. They have an image and a reputation to protect, and are less likely to defer repairs. People are more likely to complain at those hotels.

But, the crap ones, complete with the flickering "OTEL" signs in the shady parts of town? These ones are filled with roaches, litter, crackheads, prostitutes, bedbugs, and millions of violations. People are less likely to complain. Think about it, if you could only afford the local "roach motel" and had nowhere else to go--with the possible threat of being tossed if you complained--would you say anything?

A lot of the problem is that the entities that are supposed to be regulating such things...are stretched pretty thin by a lack of manpower or resources. From personal experience, it's a shitty job, with shitty pay. Many of the employees are overworked, making little pay, and eventually just don't care.
                  Oh, my, yes, and then some. In some respects, I suppose cheap M TELs do serve a purpose. Some people just can't afford the pricier places when they travel, and if you have had to put up with such places, I suppose you get used to them. Hell, I've crashed in places like that - but I do insist on bringing in my own blankets and such, because I know the odds are the bed sheets haven't been washed since probably 2003.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                    In some respects, I suppose cheap M TELs do serve a purpose. Some people just can't afford the pricier places when they travel, and if you have had to put up with such places, I suppose you get used to them.
                    Or people are forced to live in these places due to other reasons, such as criminal records. The local rundown motel was recently condemned, and the paper did some stories on a few of the people who live there. Was an eye opener for me.

That being said, it doesn't excuse the management in the OP apparently forcing the staff into lying in order to avoid giving refunds or doing even the most basic sanitation. And added, AW said that it's not even that cheap, or at least it didn't seem that way to me.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Why are you putting yourself in that situation? I know about needing a job (believe me on that, my hubby is disabled) but money is not worth your sanity or health. There have to be other jobs better than that one. Flip burgers if you have to.
                      Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 09-14-2015, 04:49 AM.
                      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

In the local news a really terrible hotel was being closed due to a million problems- bedbugs, roaches, exposed wiring, an improperly installed water heater that was leaking CO2 (!), and the list goes on. They were interviewing people who were being evicted (a lot of them lived there full-time) and they were angry, because they couldn't afford anywhere else. It was really awful. One woman said, "If we had money, we wouldn't be staying at the cheapest hotel in town, would we?" So even though the place was a dump, they didn't have a choice, and now they're out on the street.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

The heartbreak continues!

Last night i had to work the night shift instead of the afternoon/evening shift because the regular night auditor was throwing up blood. This was no fun because after getting off work at 7am, I had to go in to my second job at noon, which is where I'm at now, and I'm in such a foul mood between the exhaustion and between this kid shitting his shorts that it's all I can do to keep myself from poisoning the city water supply.

Anyway, while I was there, in addition to dealing with a roach in the breakfast area, a room that complained about bedbugs, that same room blaming me personally for their driving up on the truck parking curb, and Expedia's inability to understand that I have no power to refund anything and that demanding refunds ever more aggressively will not change that fact, I learned some more about the place.

Namely, I learned about the blind guy who brought the roaches in. We're doing our best to pawn him off on one of our no-tell motels, but his story is really tragic, and there's an excellent chance he'll die before we can ever do that. At this point no one much cares how he goes away, just so long as he goes. Speaking of death though, I learned that in my absence from this happy consortium of motels, someone did decide to take the eternal powder here at the Dumpsterfire Inn. He checked in, stayed a night, and then called the desk clerk the next afternoon to inform her he was going to kill himself.

Which he did, although I had initially been told it was with a shotgun. It was actually a handgun to the head, which is much better. I have an aunt who used to be a hotel maid. She speaks from experience when she says that cleaning up a shotgun suicide takes all day and when you're done, and someone trying to be thoughtful buys you supper, it turns out that being offered a chili dog is a terrible idea. With it being a handgun instead, all we had to do was replace the sofa, give the place a good once over, and paper over the bullet in the wall, where it remains to this day.

The longer I do this, the more I am reminded of how much this place prepared me for work as a forensic social worker.

Comment

blaming me personally for their driving up on the truck parking curb,
                            WTF? THEY drove up on the curb, and somehow that's your fault? I'd like to hear the logic behind that, but I'm afraid I wouldn't understand it - can't get my head far enough up my ass.

and Expedia's inability to understand that I have no power to refund anything and that demanding refunds ever more aggressively will not change that fact,
                            Why do they think that becoming abusive to someone who doesn't have the authority to give them what they want will enable them to get it? I'd be tempted to tell them the following:

All refunds for 3rd party booking services are handled by Helen Frye. If you want a refund, you need to go to Helen Frye.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X