This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new people being promoted

Is it just me or is this messed up? Weve had a string of rookies being promoted rather quickly. Sometimes during their interview!

I realize some have qualifications and experience and stuff, but come on. You just got here. You dont know anyone. You dont know how this place operates. You havent really paid your dues or anthing. Get in line.

One of my absolute pet peeves - new or under-qualified people being promoted over older and/or more competent employees...

Comment

Quoth deysongrey View Post
      Is it just me or is this messed up? Weve had a string of rookies being promoted rather quickly. Sometimes during their interview!

I realize some have qualifications and experience and stuff, but come on. You just got here. You dont know anyone. You dont know how this place operates. You havent really paid your dues or anthing. Get in line.
      Life Lessons

- There's no line and no dues to pay, unless you're in an union shop.

Promotions are based on:
      - credentials
      - luck
      - experience (only if jumping ship from a competitor)

There's really no incentive to promote from within at times since
      - you're already doing the job at the lower wage.
      - you're on pay already, its not like you're going to quit
      - you will just be moving the staffing issue from A to B, and you still need to hire
      (and now you don't have a knowledgeable person that will happily do A and B on a whim).

outside hires offer the following benefits:
      - less pay
      - brings in new ideas and perspectives (even if those 'fresh' ideas are rehashed plans/programs tried years ago that were total failures)
      - new to the Kool-Aid and still full of spirit.
      “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
      ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
        Life Lessons

- There's no line and no dues to pay, unless you're in an union shop.

Promotions are based on:
        - credentials
        - luck
        - experience (only if jumping ship from a competitor)
        You forgot one
        - who you know, or what you know about who you know

Comment

Is it just me or is this messed up? Weve had a string of rookies being promoted rather quickly.
          No, it's not just you...that reeks

You havent really paid your dues or anthing. Get in line.
          Or in the case of some that I've seen: can't write the phrase without spell check and auto correct.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

There's been a slew of promotions on the front end, namely to roles of the Front End Supervisor position -- and all but one of them has been with the company less then six months. The only one that's been there for the last X amount of years was there when I was a cashier numerous moons ago -- is it fair? Not really, but I don't envy those supervisors at the registers and don't want that position.

Why?

Because in about two to four months I probably will see five new faces wearing those different colored vests.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

How about someone who has been working at a place a long time being promoted to head of a department they have no experience in? That's my boss! I'm teaching him the bare bones of how to function in our line of work and he's not catching on fast enough. >.< He even told me "That stuff isn't really my thing." ORLY? Well unfortunately, it's your job.

*end rant*

Comment

Quoth flyonthewall View Post
                How about someone who has been working at a place a long time being promoted to head of a department they have no experience in? That's my boss! I'm teaching him the bare bones of how to function in our line of work and he's not catching on fast enough. >.< He even told me "That stuff isn't really my thing." ORLY? Well unfortunately, it's your job.

*end rant*
                Ugh I get this! Only in my case, she hasn't been here long. She's been here 6 months or so. But she has no clue what she is doing, is messing things up big time, is not receptive to correction, and she's a supervisor! she has been told to call me if she has questions, but 9 times out of 10, she won't do it, and then she screws it up worse.

she released someone from their sentence early (this is a correctional facility), It is nearly impossible to screw up THAT badly, but she did it. We could be sued by the courts, investigated or lose our funding. But nothing happened to her.

It's not what you know, it's who you blow

Comment

Quoth flyonthewall View Post

*end rant*
                  This was the last manager I worked for at Bank of My Country. He never worked a day in my department. He transferred over from a completely different and unrelated line of business. They didn't even make him attend OJT, just the 2-week classroom training. It was ridiculous. I couldn't ask for his assistance with anything and he couldn't give me any constructive feedback during required coaching sessions. He flat-out told me that I knew more about the department and our subject matter than he did.

He also had no previous management or leadership experience. I had teammates who walked all over this guy, showed him no respect, talked shit about him behind his back...he was in way over his head.
                  Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

So how long did he last in that position, Headset Hellion?

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      So how long did he last in that position, Headset Hellion?
                      Don't tell me he's still there....
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Back when I worked in high-tech, and raises were something less mythical than facts behind a National Enquirer story, I encountered a similar situation. The company I worked for gave an annual across-the-board raise, but it was less than the year-to-year increase in what it offered new hires straight out of university. The result was that the new guy with no experience was making more money than his co-workers who'd been there a few years.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          The result was that the new guy with no experience was making more money than his co-workers who'd been there a few years.
                          And when this is discovered it sets off either a riot or a rash of people quitting, often without notice...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                            And when this is discovered it sets off either a riot or a rash of people quitting, often without notice...
                            and the higher-ups are surprised....

Who is John Galt?

Comment

On the opposite side of the coin, I can see why a newbie would be promoted in some instances. For example, if they've come to the job with more experience and training than the people already there. Or, in my case once upon a many moons ago, getting singled out by the higher ups because it's clear you are 1) catching on faster than anybody else, and 2) are a natural for the position. It's how I got picked to start training as management when I hadn't even been with a company for a week...plus, I had previous retail management experience in my favour.

Even now, despite the fact that I've been at my current job for about three weeks there is talk of me being made lead guard at my site even though I'm the newest guard there. The area supervisor wants somebody he knows will do the job so that he doesn't have to be the only point of contact when something goes sideways at my site - and I've caught on very quickly, even though it's not exactly a complicated job to begin with. At least not at my site where I can surf the web on my laptop most nights if I wanted to. Trust me, I wasn't gunning for a lead guard position at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X