This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asking for a raise?

I have never, in my entire career asked for a raise. So I'm a little nervous.

My job has gone through a big overhaul, and now we have all sorts of new supervisory positions, that, like I've complained about before, they say I'm not qualified for, despite 8 years experience, because I do not have a 4 year degree. So I remain a case manager. It's fine. I'm good at my job, I like my job.

But now, all sorts of new things are being delegated to me (and not the other case managers). I've just been informed that I will have to take on a new, time consuming, on going task. for as long as I've worked here, this task has always been performed by a supervisor. Now I have to go to training and take on this task, in addition to my normal duties.

I've also been informed that I will have to begin teaching a class once a week to clients. there is another 3 hours out of my week gone.

Additionally, we have this big involved correctional component program that we do with our clients. Each case manager has to create a lesson plan sort of thing, go over it with our clients, review their assignments, etc. I'm a coach for this. Which means I oversee a couple of case managers plans, review them, grade them and then discuss the results to make sure they are satisfying the requirements and to help them improve.

There are 6 coaches total. I am the only coach who is not a supervisor. Right now, coaching takes up several hours every two weeks.

I am currently training two new case managers, who come to me for everything (this is not official, just a time suck) I am also training one of the new supervisors how to do a specific program, even though I was deemed not qualified to take that position (again, not official, just a time suck, and a bit of resentment)

This is all in addition to meeting with my own 21 clients aweek, doing intakes, assessments, dealing with problems, creating those lesson plans and all of my other normal duties. And one week of being on call every couple of months, that I do not get paid for.

So I want to go to the HR manager who actually appears to like me, and lay it out that I am being asked to take on new responsibilities that are traditionally given to those above my pay grade, and I would like to discuss a pay raise for the new duties that I'm assigned to, in addition to my yearly evaluation raise that is coming up. It is also worth noting to you guys at least, that the new case managers are being hired at wage that is 1 dollar more than when I started, but the experienced case managers pay did not increase.

I'm really nervous and I don't want to come off as not willing to take on tasks, but I do think I should be compensated for additional, supervisory tasks. thoughts?

Oh yeah-the two case managers I'm training were supposed to already have been trained by the training supervisor. She just did a really shitty job, so now I'm retraining

Comment

I would consider who the decision makers are at your job. While going to HR is great, they likely aren't the ones having the final say. Either way, it's worthwhile to list all those additional roles (official or not) that you've taken on, while still completing your regular required duties. By the way, is it legal in your area to not pay you for being on call?

I once approached my boss (this was back when I worked fast food) and asked for a raise, because they started posting everywhere how they had starting wages up to a dollar more an hour than I was making. Not only had I been there a few years, but I was a shift manager and it wasn't right that regular employees were getting hired for more than I was making. Boss explained to me how the special wage was for overnight shift. I offered to switch to overnights if it meant earning more. He relented and although I didn't get the full wage I asked for, he met me halfway. Nothing would've changed if I hadn't asked, however.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
      X