X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethernet cable...

What Ethernet cable?

So this could go in, here unsuportable, or coworkers but this felt alright. I get a request to reboot a server for a customer, so I truck on down to our datacenter do the reboot and wait for their reply on if its working browse the forums as I wait cus its a server that's been running for months now. Oh but im sure your saying "well your posting about it so whats the deal?" OK I will jump right in, customer says it still is not working and for me to do a physicals check come to find the ethernet cable is not there, nor is there even a spare one unplugged near the server, however i do see a brand new server with the cable marked 21 on number 22 so turns out that the customer had a server down for 16 hours because the dude that installed the new server did not bother to make a new cable and connect it... so here i sit 3 hours later new cable made and ran correctly through the server racks from router to machine cursing the name of our install dude. Going to love writing this email to my boss about what happened....
    Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
    pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Wow...I just don't have words for the absolute fail there. We're in the realms of Kelvin Zero failure here.

Be honest but blunt in your letter to the boss. Your install guy shouldn't be around anything involving long-term uptime after pulling crap like that.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'm not sure the install guy should be around anything with a power supply.....
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
        I'm not sure the install guy should be around anything with a power supply.....
        No, he did get the new server up and going--he has some sort of skill to do that. But stealing the cord off another server rather than make one? Having made many cables myself, its not that hard to do, so it would seem laziness is a culprit here. Also, a lack of understanding as to what a server farm actually does to earn money. That's a Into-to-Computers-101-level mistake.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

hmm..My response would be to unplug the cable from the new server, and plug it right back into it's rightful server...(of course, this is assuming you don't have to trace out the damn thing to make sure it's connected right on the other side)
          Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Having made many cables myself, its not that hard to do
            IS TOO!!!

:: runs off, crying ::

Jenni, the techie who cannot make a cable to save her life.
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
              IS TOO!!!

:: runs off, crying ::
              *in a spooky voice*

Orange-white, orange; green-white, blue; blue-white, green; brown-white, brown!
              "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Comment

I can get the wires in order, I just CANNOT get the sheaf cut right. It's either cut so the plastic doesn't get into the end so it can crimp, or I don't have enough room to feed in the wires. I tired for an hour to get a cable to test out. I failed, and forever more depend on the server admin to make me cables.
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Aww. It does take a bit of skill, to begin with. But most crimpers also have a cutting blade and a guide on them. Better to cut more plastic off and have to cut the wires shorter by a little bit a few times until it is the right length than the other way around, too.
                  "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Comment

this is what i use at work and i luffs it!!

Comment

Don't feel bad Jenni. I had problems with it too, in the beginning. I ended up buying a spool of cat 5 thread and a bunch of connectors to practice. I could probably do it blindfolded now

CH
                      Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth xx_wolfie_xx View Post
                        this is what i use at work and i luffs it!!
                        The video on that site makes me want to

He does a few things that I would've NEVER thought of doing, let alone thought were possible.

I have the urge to go home and make a crapload of unneeded cable after work

CH
                        Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

I can get the wires in order, I just CANNOT get the sheaf cut right. It's either cut so the plastic doesn't get into the end so it can crimp, or I don't have enough room to feed in the wires.
                          The trick is that you can cut the wires a bit longer, then massage and stretch the outer insulation until it gets into the connector. Having a good crimping tool is important too, I recommend getting one that surrounds the plug so you can maintain pressure on the wire while you crimp.

Comment

I can get the wires in order, I just CANNOT get the sheaf cut right. It's either cut so the plastic doesn't get into the end so it can crimp, or I don't have enough room to feed in the wires. I tired for an hour to get a cable to test out. I failed, and forever more depend on the server admin to make me cables.
                            What I normally do, is strip the cable so the wires are a little long, and then when I get the wires the way I want them, I'll take a pair of standard wire cutters, and cut off the excise wires so they fit in the plug.. That seems to be what I have the best luck with, but then again.. I learned how to make cables by reading the instructions that came with my crimper kit thingie. Learned on fly while working at one of our remote sites.. Had learn that way with crimping F connectors on Coax also.. fun times!!
                            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Heh my boss said the installer may have gotten confused on the wording in the install ticket. HAH I read it makes perfect sense to me, and yeah spent some time retracing a new line to the new server, cus I couldn't take the customers new server down to fix the old one, that would have made new problems.
                              Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                              pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Working...
                              X