Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your post is not the only one on Craigslist.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your post is not the only one on Craigslist.

So I helped a friend post a CL ad for a timeshare rental in NYC. It's understood that she needs to click on the confirmation link to actually post it.

Round One: I post the ad in the exact wordage she gives me using her client's email address like she says, cue freakout an hour later because her client really isn't email savvy at all, wants me to use her email and describe it better (that's YOUR problem; I'm only posting what you give me). That's the capsule version of the CF.

Round Two: So I repost it yesterday morning. This is at approximately noon, CL is getting flooded with vacation rentals I'm sure.

Get a panicked email this morning ( ~24 hours after the initial posting) "OMG I can't find our listing anywhere you said it would be at the top of the page!" (no I did not). Headdesk, decide to 'investigate' anyway. It's live; going by the timestamp it should be down on page 3 at this point (which it is).

I think she thinks either her posts should automatically be at the top, or she can post it every day to get to the top of the list...well, technically you can by switching wording/email addresses but that's a fairly good way to get a post flagged and deleted for spam. Even if the email is changed, CL won't let a duplicate-wording post go through (she made me try).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    So I helped a friend
    There's your problem right there.

Comment

Yeah, I know

Probably the reason she's so insistent is that she's getting paid not only to post the ad (in turn she's paying me, although not as much as she should be--putting up with whining and on-the-fly changes costs mucho extra) but will likely get a commission as well IF it sells.

Newsflash, CL isn't a magical land where everything sells instantly (I wish).

Comment

Reminds me of the dickhead who repeatedly asked me to help him list things on ebay. I may not do much during the day, but unless your paying me some gratuities you can go f**k yourself!

I now tell them, 'many many many people manage to use this website, whether it's ebay, craigslist etc, now, why can't YOU learn like the rest of them? I'm sorry if you don't know how to use a computer, but you might as well learn now!'

Comment

not to mention - if she's doing this professionally.... shouldn't this be something she learned?

Comment

She works as a concierge/'professional organizer" (you'd never know it from her home) and doesn't think that entails knowing computer stuff (I wouldn't mind as much if she didn't try to dictate my rates...yes you're asking me to help your client but you're NOT my boss)

Craigslist is not rocket science. I'm considering modifying my idiot tax to cover anything spelled out in a FAQ.

Comment

Newsflash, CL isn't a magical land where everything sells instantly
              Not a week goes by without 2 or more customers telling me this.

But this woman is getting paid by clients to put their listings on a free site? They could be doing that themselves! I smell a ripoff.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
              X