Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is the point where you reach for your wallet... (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the point where you reach for your wallet... (long)

Two things, different, but the title applies to both.

First guy:

Before this guy came up I was handing out shoes to a birthday party that came in. (Important)

This guy comes up to get a lane and everything. During his transaction one of the father's from the birthday party comes up and stands next to him.

He's standing there with a pair of shoes in his hand, I know exactly what he wants... a different size. This happens ALL the time, especially with kids. This takes all of 2 seconds to take care of, and hardly requires any interaction.

So the guy that I have a transaction with tells me what he wants, I ring it up, and give him his total. As he reaches for his wallet, I turn to the B-Day party father:

BDF = Birthday Father
    OM = Over-reaction Man (guy who I just rand up)

Me: *Raise eyebrows* "Yes?"
    BDF: *Takes a small step forward and acknowledges my presence, but doesn't say a WORD*
    OM (being sarcastic, in a rude way): *Gestures at the BDF* "Oh, you go ahead, he wasn't helping me or anything."
    BDF: "He just looked at me, I didn't even say anything..."
    Me: "I can do two at once. Your total is $xx.xx"

He reaches for his wallet again, this time I wait till his finger hits his pocket and I quickly ask the BDF what size he needs. He tells me, I get it (it was right in front of me), and he leaves. Total time, 2 seconds, like I expected.

Oh, but wait... Overreaction Man got his wallet, but then WAITED to take out his credit card...

So he digs through about 5 cards to find the one he wanted... total time... about 5 seconds... which means, he could have taken his wallet out, and found the credit card, and STILL not have been finished by the time I helped the BDF.

No, he's gotta bitch and moan at someone else because he has to have my undivided attention at all times... even when there is a pause in our interaction.

Second Guy:

He comes up, gets a lane and three pairs of shoes.
    I give him his total... now this is the point where he is SUPPOSE to reach for his wallet... so I look down at the computer, to make sure that I have everything setup correctly and to double check on other lanes still going.

but no... he STARES at me. I notice this and look up.

He starts naming shoe sizes, so I grab them and give them to him, tell him his total a second time, and then look down again thinking that NOW he will get the money.

During this time another person came up in line behind him.

Nope. He starts comparing the bowling shoes to his normal shoes to see if they are the correct size (most people are smart enough to do all this AFTER they pay.) They're the wrong size, so I grab the new ones, and give him his total a THIRD time.

He compares again, and it's wrong again... ok, grab new pairs... tell total a FOURTH time (I'm trying to get him out of the way so I can help the next person...)

Him (gving me a surprised look): "Don't worry I'm gonna pay."
    Me: "I know it's just..." *I start to point at the customer behind him, and then decide to just give up, and cut my sentence short.*

He then decides the shoes are correct, and reaches into his pocket, pulls out his wallet, and hands me... a CREDIT CARD... now, credit card transactions where I work take TIME, and we require the use of a machine that is in no way attached to the register...

which means that in the time it took his credit card transaction to go through (about 20 seconds), I could've found him the correct shoes, and he would have been out of there QUICKER, and I could have helped the person behind him sooner had he not decided to size-up he's shoes before hand. (Which is why we tell them the total, BEFORE asking what size shoes they need... it's faster.)
    Last edited by Lingering Grin; 05-05-2008, 01:22 AM.
    <Insert clever signature here>

"Oh? There are other people in the world? Maybe I should hurry up and get out of their way?"

There's a thought that's never going to to through a customer's head.
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

There's a thought that's never going to to through a sucky customer's head.
      Fixed that for you.

Had a long week? *hugs*
      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
      X