This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another thief, thwarted...

Ok, i work at Officemax, which from name, sells office stuff, including computers and electronics along with the basic pens and paper supplies.

I'm recounting this from partly of my co-worker Carey's side of it he told me, and my part where I dealt with the customer at the register.

Last night we get a girl in the store that seemed kind of shady. I didn't deal with her initially, but Carey did. He has been with the company for over two years and is in process of being promoted to management. He used to work at our Roseville store, which is in a higher-theft area. So he has dealt with people of not-so-honest caliber before. The store we are in now, is brand new, and in a higher-income area, average household income is about $120k or more. Doesn't mean we're less of a target though. We just have fewer things in lock-up cages.

Carey just had that gut feeling she wasn't kosher. But he treated her as if she was. She said she was interested in a laptop. She asks a few questions about one of them, and tells Carey that she wants to buy it. He is still uneasy but he goes and gets one from the lockup cage in our stock room.

He comes out with it and he starts walking toward her. He starts handing it to her, but the way she was reaching to grab it, was like she was gonna take it and run, so he changes his mind, and says he'll walk her up to the register and have me ring it up. He said she made a really disappointed "Ohhhh" sound.

Now, I didn't know any of this until afterwards. Anyhow, he sets the laptop on my counter and looks me in the eye and just says the girl wants to get this laptop. I immediately knew the way he looked at me, that something wasn't right. So, I scan it, and it comes to about $750. She pulls out a credit card. I swipe it, and it is declined. So I try it again, as sometimes that happens and the 2nd time it will go through. 2nd time was declined. I told her that it was, and she pulled out another card. That too, was declined twice. Now this threw up red flags to me. So she asked if we take checks. I said yes, but only with ID. Not entirely true, as the electronic check verification system doesn't always ask for ID. Most of the time only for high $$ purchases. She says she has to go out to her car and get it. I told her I'll put the computer on the back counter (behind me) for her until she gets back. She never came back. I didn't think she would.

This is when I talked to Carey about her.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Did the names on the credit cards match?

Then again that might not mean anything because she'd have more than 1 card if she stole an entire wallet.

Comment

Yep, sounds very suspicious to me. I have yet to understand why it is that people like this always leave their ID in their cars, especially in this situation. She seemed to have her credit cards with her as well as her checkbook (assuming these were not stolen), but no ID?

This same thing used to happen with people who would make purchases for alcohol. They always had their money on them, or their checkbook, but their ID was out in the car! I don't know about anyone else, but with the thefts that occur in broad daylight in shopping centers, I never go anywhere without my ID. It's a real pain the ass getting a new one, let alone having all of your credit cards replaced.

Comment

Good call by your manager and you. If you have a gut feeling about something, chances are the red flags to confirm your suspicions will pop up soon enough

Comment

I used to work at OfficeMax myself and I have quite a few stories from there.

I noticed "Roseville" in your post. Is that "Roseville" in Michigan?
          Op.125

Comment

Working...
          X