This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Either way, I need a Credit Card

Wow, this was... odd. Remember, I work at a hotel and, since it's after 6pm, I need a credit card number to hold all rooms coming in for tonight. I get this a little bit ago.

SC: Not so much sucky as....
    Me:

Me: Hi there, how can I help you?
    SC: Yeah, I need a room.
    Me: Will this be for tonight?
    SC: Yeah, what do you have available.

So I tell him what rooms we have available for tonight and their accompanied rates. I always give the best rate I can give first.

SC:Okay, if I make a reservation for tonight, do I have to pay you now?
    Me: *Keep in mind, this is well after 6pm* No sir, but I will need a credit card to hold the room with.
    SC: Okay, how can I make this easier for me?

Wait... what? That is... easy...

Me: Excuse me?
    SC: How can I make this easier for me?
    Me: Sir, if you want to hold a room for tonight, you'll have to either pay cash now or give me a credit card to hold the room. I can authorize the card and, if you like, you can pay cash at check out in the morning.
    SC: ......
    Me: ......
    Sc: ...... I'll be back.
    Me: Okay, I'll be here.

And he leaves.
    WTF?

The only thing I can think is this;
    1 He wanted to check in and "gee, pay cash at check out" without giving us a card number to hold over night and risk him leaving without paying? Free room. Hell no.

2 Either he's stupid or I am and I highly doubt it's the latter.

What do you think?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

It's the first one...allllll the first one.

Edited to add... WOOT 200th post.

Comment

It's ALWAYS (well, not always-always, but most of the time always) the first one.

When it's not the first one, it's the second one. At which point he's a total nimrod (I love that word) and he thinks that you're the nimrod when in fact he is the nimrod.
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Almost sounds like he wanted to skip out on paying at all...some people do that. I have had people BEG me to please let them pay later. I often politely ask them what world they think they are living in now-adays? lol
        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I'd say your insticts are correct. Unless his CC is maxed out. In which case, He should stay home.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Or

The other reason I can think of, is with a credit card number you can still bill him after his stay if it turns out that he stole anything or caused any damage.

Meaning even if he did pay for the night, he still planned to rip you off.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              The other reason I can think of, is with a credit card number you can still bill him after his stay if it turns out that he stole anything or caused any damage.

Meaning even if he did pay for the night, he still planned to rip you off.
              I've had that happen. One group (in two rooms) smoked the rooms up with weed; that stuff is hard to get the smell out. We had already posted their bill to the credit card (always authorized at check in) and when we went to charge them a clean up fee, the card was already canceled.

It's a sick world we live in.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Wow, he was pretty stupid. I don't think I've ever in my life stayed at a hotel that doesn't require a credit card to hold the room.

Comment

We pretty much always ask for credit cards when making reservations. It is very rare for us to make a reservation over the phone without one.

We changed our policies a bit recently due to the amount of people smoking in rooms and paying cash. Now, if you don't pay with a credit card, you have to pay for the whole amount of the stay with taxes and a 250.00 cash deposit which we store at the front desk. When you go to checkout, housekeeping needs to give us approval before the deposit is returned. Most people who originally wanted to pay cash then switch to a credit card when they find out about it. It has worked out great so far.

Comment

This makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that gets these idiots. I really love the people calling in saying they'll be there in half an hour why do they need to hold a room on a credit card. Umm, hello, if you really are going to be here in half an hour then you don't have to worry about a no show charge because there is no way you are going to be no showing... oh wait... let me guess, you really aren't just half an hour away and you don't actually know if you will be staying
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Jus out of interest how would you handle someone who doesn't have a credit card. I'm down to 1 and want, if possible, to dump it and just use my debit/ATM card. I don't know if it will work as debit card in the US but know it works fine as in ATMs.
                      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                        Jus out of interest how would you handle someone who doesn't have a credit card. I'm down to 1 and want, if possible, to dump it and just use my debit/ATM card. I don't know if it will work as debit card in the US but know it works fine as in ATMs.
                        If you don't have a credit card (cc), then pay cash upfront. I can also hold rooms with debit cards -- for some reason people seem to think hotels can't. *shrugs*

If you're making a reservation directly with the house (And not Central Reservations) we can usually hold the room under a courtesy hold agreement, but you would still have to show up before 6pm if you wanted your room. Otherwise, the reservation is canceled.

Comment

Maybe he didn't have a CC.
                          I no longer have any CCs, and were it not for CS I wouldn't know I needed one to rent a room if I had intended to pay cash.

K wait, I just read the other comments. Neeeeeever mind.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                            Maybe he didn't have a CC.
                            I no longer have any CCs, and were it not for CS I wouldn't know I needed one to rent a room if I had intended to pay cash.

K wait, I just read the other comments. Neeeeeever mind.
                            You can still rent a room without a CC, but would need to put down a $25 cash deposit (officially it's higher, but the front desk clerks think $50 is way too much) that you get back in the morning.

The thing is, the guy didn't even want to hand over the cash for the room that night either. So he was trying to score a newbie who didn't know what they were doing.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                              If you don't have a credit card (cc), then pay cash upfront. I can also hold rooms with debit cards -- for some reason people seem to think hotels can't. *shrugs*
                              Does it have to be an American style debit card that has credit built in? Or can it just be a straight Interac card?
                              "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Working...
                              X