Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Coupon/Discount/Special Promotion Nut ~ STORY TIME!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coupon/Discount/Special Promotion Nut ~ STORY TIME!

Ah yes, one of the many species of SC out there, the snowflake who wants to cut corners and screw over everyone else! This variety of SC is expensive, exhausting, and sometimes time consuming. Their sense of entitlement is blinding. And infuriating. Boy, can it be infuriating.

And sadly, in this day of age- the age of coupon reality tv shows and websites that breed misinformation and rumors, the couponers are stronger than ever.

So tell your stories, retail peeps!

I'll start with one. So there's a website out there. Where ANYONE can put up ANYTHING. It's where people share coupons and tips/tricks. Exhibit A of the problems they cause:

*I have checked out the customer, we are on the payment stage.*
    Coupon Nut: I have a coupon!
    Me: Um, okay.. (We didn't have any coupons active at that point, I knew things were going to get stupid really quick.)
    CN: Yes! I do, I can pull it up on my phone. *CN gets to webpage and shows me*
    CN: See! I get $15 off now! *Insert eating grin here*
    Me: Erm, that's a coupon for our website. Not our stores.
    CN: So?
    Me: Our in store system won't even recognize it. I can put it in if you like.
    *Puts stupid coupon in. Computer rejects it because it's a stupid freaking coupon.*
    Me: See? It doesn't work.
    CN: THEN WHY IS IT ON *coupon nut online central* as being in store!
    Me: That website is a third party that our company has no control over. They can post misinformation all they want.
    CN: Mmmm.
    *I call over a manager who confirms everything I just said. We continue arguing with her for five minutes when she realizes she isn't getting anywhere. Meanwhile, the line is pilling up.*
    Coupon nut is not happy. But makes the purchase and is sending off the "I hate you" vibe at full strength. She ignores my farewell and storms out of the store.

This is one example of Coupon Nut Central Online causing problems where I work. Other people have had worse situations where full on temper tantrums are thrown. I HATE COUPON NUT CENTRAL ONLINE!

NOOOOO, YOU CANNOT HAVE COUPON! BAD SC! BAD!

*Sprays SC repellent*

I also despise those articles or new station reports that say negotiate, or demand a manager, or everyone takes expired coupons or whatever. It creates an expectation that you will just give everything away for nothing.

Comment

I've read that a lot of retailers are refusing to take these types of coupons -- period.

I no longer work in foodservice, but I agree with the retail workers that say these things cause problems. And the local news media, as Shyla points out, aren't helping.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

The stupid thing is it only takes a minute to call the store BEFORE you go and confirm whether or not the coupon is valid.

Also, fine print is there for a reason. READ IT!
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Strangely enough, I never have troubles using coupons. I make sure I use them with the right product, that I have the right size and that the date is valid (and highlighted). Each one is put on top of the article being bought.

However, I think those simple steps may be too demanding for the average SC.
          It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Quoth Cecily View Post
            However, I think those simple steps may be too demanding inconvenient for the average SC.
            Fixed that for you...

Comment

And now for promotions! So where I work the usual promotion is- ONE per family. But what about families who have more than one child? WHAAAAAAAA WHAA. *throws tantrum on floor*

Mmm, that seems like a personal problem. I'm sorry, I'm not seeing how this is MY problem. YOU decided to have more than one child and teach them not to share while being too cheap to buy more items for each child. My directions were to give one per a family. You can BUY another one, but you won't be getting it for free.

SC:I WANT TO TALK TO A MANAGER RIGHT NOW! MY PRECIOUS DO NOT SHARE!!!!!!!
              Me: Umm, you can buy another one.
              SC: BUT THEN I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!
              Me: Um, yes. That's how trade works.
              SC: ME WANT MANAGER. ME ANGRY. ME THROW TANTRUM!
              Me: 0_o

So then the company started doing a thing where it was one promotion per a child. But what about *insert child of distant relation who lives fifteen hours away and was unable to come*? They should have one too! It's not fair that they don't get one just because they aren't here!

Result: Our special promotional item is being sold in mass on eBay and we run out very quickly of promotion items. Usually in an hour or so. And an hour or so later they are on eBay.

I hate people. So much.

Comment

Oh, holy hell do I loathe couponers. We don't get many of them but the ones we do get are a royal pain in the posterior. They inevitably go to the third party sites and then give us crap because the coupon is expired. Please just STFU and GTFO.

Comment

I really want to say to them, "Um, how is it my problem you are a dumb who believes everything they read on the internet?"

Also, our company started a thing where they give out coupons for birthdays. Some mom was upset because she thought each of her children should get one every time one of her kids has a birthday, so it's fair! Um, that's not how birthday's work. Except in Erin Cartman's world, of course.

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/388723...-birthday-stan

Comment

Running my own business, I don't give out coupons.

Doesn't stop people from cursing me out trying to get a discount. Or asking for the manager. Dude you just cursed out the owner. No quilt for you!
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      Running my own business, I don't give out coupons.

Doesn't stop people from cursing me out trying to get a discount. Or asking for the manager. Dude you just cursed out the owner. No quilt for you!
                      My parents don't do coupons for their business either. They will occasionally get asked if they have a coupon in the paper, like some of the large companies. Quite often if we explain to them why we don't do coupons, they are understanding. I have said something like "we don't artificially increase our bid in order to make you feel like you're saving money, when it's not true. We just quote you a fair price." On the other hand I do know large companies can take smaller profits on individual jobs because they have high volume which makes up for it. However, their quality usually suffers, and having a roof last years longer with no problems, (even if a repair is free it is an inconvenience) is a big selling point for many.

Oh, and the big online coupon place? I believe that the company I work for is partnered with them. So really there is not much difference between using the coupons directly from our company, or the third party. And the third party site doesn't always have all the best coupons anymore. The company I work for has changed their coupons so much recently I wonder how long it will take before people are used to all the total purchase coupons, and they don't draw additional sales. It used to be, one 40% coupon came in the newspaper, and one came in the direct mailer, and that was it. Now there are a zillion, and I've had a decent amount of people complain because of how specific some are. Instead of being good for one item, it will be for batting, or notion, or jewelry.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Cecily View Post
                        However, I think those simple steps may be too demanding inconvenient inconceivable for the average SC.
                        An even better fix. And, yes, I do know what it means.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                        X