Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No. I will not serve you while the building is on fire.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting flashbacks to college (we all worked full time and attended college 1 day/2 evenings a week).

We had no fire drills at college, so when the alarm went off in the middle of a lesson, those of us used to jobs with fire drills tried to leave, and the tutor and rest of the class tried to ignore the bells.

Fortunatly one of the students was a fireman (he was 6' 4", if the fireman qualification wasn't enough to make you listen to him), he ignored the tutor, walked out of the classroom into the hall, came back in with "I can see smoke, you all are getting out NOW!"

Cue us all legging it down several flights of stairs.

Comment

If that fire alarm goes off when there's no drill scheduled, I will be across the street in less than 5 minutes. Not hanging around while somebody tries to decide if it's "real" or not
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In our block the amount of people who ignore the alarms due to several false ones last summer is large... If they don't ignore it those with keys come down and override the panel and then just leave it off until the next morning.

They actually got a bit annoyed when I called the fire department and the service company each time to make sure that it was properly cleared! The idea that "well we've never had a real fire here in 14 years" won't make up for it if there is a real one one day!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I told a co-worker of mine the other day I'm afraid of being in the bathroom taking a dump when the fire alarm goes off.

I always get up from my desk and leave. In the time I've been in the building where I work, there have been a few fire drills and a real fire where there were some tragic, unfortunate deaths to some construction workers.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            If that fire alarm goes off when there's no drill scheduled, I will be across the street in less than 5 minutes. Not hanging around while somebody tries to decide if it's "real" or not
            Bet your ass! I've been in a building fire, years ago; to this day, I run when the fire alarm goes off.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              I told a co-worker of mine the other day I'm afraid of being in the bathroom taking a dump when the fire alarm goes off.
              That happened to me once. Knowing it was a drill, I just kept doing my business, and kept quiet.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If the fire alarm went off and I was on the pot, I figure I could at least finish and die with my pants on. After all I'm pretty sure the alarm going off would kinda...help the business along, if you know what I mean.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I live and work in a heavily forested area, that is very prone to forest fires during the dry season.

Anyway, a year ago, a typical warm dry season's day at work, when the alarms went off, and it was clear that the wall of heavy smoke blanketed the horizon, the sound of the crackling the fire very audible and we could see that the reserve (just 50 metres away) had started to burn from embers.

Basically, we right in the path of a fast moving forest fire - and the procedure is to get the hell out.

I am a fire warden as is my boss.

Now, my employer has a bus at the side of his business, where we employees were to usher the customers who came to the store on foot into the bus. Well, everything was going well and fast, except for one customer:

Customer (C)
                  Me (Me)

Me: (to C who was still reading a magazine): Sir, we have to go now!
                  C: F*** you, I am staying and you WILL serve me.

At this stage, the very clear sound of one of the sheds on the reserves, barely 20 metres from the store collapsing in the fire was heard.

Me: Get your useless ass on to the bus NOW!
                  C: Oh for f**...

At that stage, the shrub in front of the store caught fire from the embers...

C ran, pushed me over, causing me to break my wrist and knocked me out,

When I came to, I was told that the store etc are okay, but the fire reached the containment line 200m from the store - another 2 customers helped me onto the bus.

The freak of nature C was caught and charged with assault - interestingly, one of the people who witnessed his cowardice was a business owner who he was trying to get a deal with (the business man was one of the ones who helped me to the bus).

Comment

Working...
                  X