This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am missing channels

Today I had a woman call in telling me that she is missing channels on the box she picked up at the local office today. I ask her what she is missing and she tells me she is missing channels over 22. Thinking the local office miscoded the box I go in and discover she only has limited basic (channels 2 - 22) I inform her that she does not have those channels on her service and she informs me she has been getting them for the last 5 months and I will be turning them on for her right now, I offer to add them to her account and give her how much it will cost to add them. She then starts yelling and cussing me that she has been paying for them all along and I will turn them on right now. I ask her how much is she paying for her service. She tells me that she is paying $3x.xx. I ask her to read me off her bill what she is paying for and she reads to me that she is paying for limited basic. I explain to her that limited basic is channels 2 - 22. She starts cussing me again telling me she has been paying for 2 - 80 since she was installed and she will just wait and watch those channels tonight when she goes to bed on the TV in her bedroom. Little does she know I scheduled a tech to go out and trap the channels at the tap that she is not supposed to get this afternoon. Dear CoWorker that gets her tonight when she realizes she now does not have those channels, I am sorry for what she will yell at you.

Whenever some sucktomer says "You will do X right now," I really, really won't.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Just curious, but how would she have been receiving 23-80 if she were only paying for limited basic (unless, of course, she was lying about that - but why wait this long to complain)? Also, if the box is only giving the channels she's paying for, what additional benefit would there be to trapping the others at the tap?
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Just curious, but how would she have been receiving 23-80 if she were only paying for limited basic (unless, of course, she was lying about that - but why wait this long to complain)? Also, if the box is only giving the channels she's paying for, what additional benefit would there be to trapping the others at the tap?
        Most likely she was using a promotion, and didn't opt to get the higher channel package.

Comment

She did not have a box on the other tv and the tech that did the install did not trap the upper channels on the line since the order was for one tv with a box that would filter. I do not know why the first box did not filter, but it did not and when the box went bad due to a lightening strike she had to get a new box and the filters in that box blocked those channels.

Comment

Growing up we had limited basic. At some point something got screwed up and for like a year we had a whole bunch of other channels. Someone must have noticed at some point because they asked if we wanted to keep them, we were like no....so they took off a tier of channels and fixed the HBO bleedthrough we were getting (it was fuzzy and discolored but you gotta take what you get) but we still ended up with several extra channels they were still getting when we moved out. A few channels we were supposed to get also got cut but they weren't ones we cared about and hey extra free channels that are kinda fun to watch, we weren't gonna complain!

In our apartment one day my husband decided to try the cable jack for shits and giggles and lo and behold, we had service! For like nine months we enjoyed free cable before someone fixed it.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My upstairs neighbour experienced about the same thing as bhskittykatt a couple of years ago - we live in a block of apartments, and over here, the cable access (except for special pay-per-view channels) is administered through a big box outside of the building. This box handles cable access for up to 50 households, and (here's the essential part) also keeps some switches and fuses to handle power services.

So, there once was an incident where a transformer station blew out, hence the whole neighbourhood was without electricity. After having dealt with the transformer station, the energy company had to go and reset every single "block box"

But since they didn't know what they did, the workers set to handle our block box began switching everything to "on"= yay, free full cable service for everyone the next two months!

(We had the full cable package already, so we didn't know until our upstairs neighbour (who only had the basic package) mentioned that they had got a lot of other channels all of a sudden.)
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

We get some free cable channels. We used to have the box and it kept locking up on us - it would pixilate and then freeze for minutes at a time, very irritating. We called several times, replaced the box 3 different times and nothing fixed it. They finally decided that it was the lines in our neighborhood, and since they weren't planning on replacing them any time soon we'd have to switch to regular cable. We did so, but when they put the filter on so we only got the basic channels a good half of them were too fuzzy to watch. The tech who came out got frustrated and just took the filter off, so instead of 22 channels (or whatever) we get 68. About once a year, someone stops by and asks about it, we tell them the story and they say OK and head off, so I figure it must be a fairly common issue. Rumor has it that soon you're going to HAVE to have the box, I don't know what we're going to do then.
                TANSTAAFL

Comment

Quoth bookworm View Post
                  Rumor has it that soon you're going to HAVE to have the box, I don't know what we're going to do then.
                  If the customer base will support it, they'll probably start replacing everything with shiny new fibre optic lines. I know my company is.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 09-26-2015, 04:15 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote

Comment

We already have replaced with fiber optics to the tap

Comment

Well, I had the pleasure of speaking to this customer again today when she called back in to disconnect because everyone she has spoken to since we trapped the channels she was not paying for would not give them back to her for free.

Bonus call of the day, had a customer call in today that for some unknown reason for the last year had been receiving one of our upper tier optional channel groups for free. When he upgraded to a Tivo system those channels are now gone since he has never paid for them. He got upset with me because I would not add them for free.

Comment

Working...
                      X