Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgive me for having a personal life...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgive me for having a personal life...

Oh people. I really shouldn't be surprised. I mean, I work in retail. But it still gets me some times.

So, I work at a pet food supply store. This particular company is all about working with the community, and likes to have events there. I also volunteer with a dog rescue in the area, which holds events where I work. The events we do are what's called a nail trim clinic. People bring their pets in and I trim them. It's the one thing I'm stellar at, and I enjoy doing it mostly. It costs $10 and all the money goes to the rescue I volunteer for.

Well, the nail trim event is always held on the first Sunday of every month here. Except this month, that day just happened to be my wedding anniversary. We just scheduled it for the Saturday after this one time. No big deal right?

Customer: Why are you having the nail trim on a Saturday?
    Me: Oh, I'm the one who runs the nail trim and it happens to be my wedding anniversary so I can't make it. We'll be back on our normal schedule after that. *smiles*
    Customer: *Just stares at me for a moment like she can't believe what I'm saying.* Oh. *pauses* But I can't make it on Saturday! What am I going to do? I can't wait another month!
    Me: Well, next weekend I'll be at *further away location* on Saturday, then *Our neighbor location, less than 3 miles away* on Sunday. I'd be hap-
    Customer: I'm not driving that far for them. I'll just find somewhere else. *Grabs her stuff and huffs out the door*.

Sorry that my WEDDING ANNIVERSARY is inconveniencing Fluffy's pedicure. (P.S. Have fun finding anywhere that does it as cheap or as good as me around town )
    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

I don't know why you bother...

...answering "WHY?" (aka WHINE) questions. Most of us grew out of WHY? questions at about 7.

The correct reply to "Why is it on Saturday?" is "Because it's on Saturday".

Comment

I'm glad my self-esteem as a person doesn't revolve around whether or not Mr. Fluffykins gets his nails trimmed to a strict military-like regimen. Imagine how horrible THAT would be.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I typically clip my own dogs' nails, but I'm on the verge of paying someone else to do one of them. She's getting to the point she needs a muzzle and sedatives for a nail trim. I wouldn't subject a volunteer to all that; I'll get her done at the vet's office. But for $10, I'd make time to get out to wherever the event was on whatever day it was (with the other dog. The one I can mostly persuade to at least let me get the longest toes. With copious amounts of treats). That's $10 well spent.

Happy anniversary! Hope it's a great one!
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I clip cats' claws for our rescue group. I once had someone get upset because I refused to go to her home to clip Fluffy because it was so traumatic for Fluffy to have to come to the pet store. Yes, you read that right, she either wanted me to leave adoptions and go to her home, or to take time when I'm not volunteering to go to her home and clip Fluffy. Sorry lady, I'm volunteering for the group, your 10 bucks isn't that important to me and I'm not willing to go to a stranger's home anyhow.

jedimaster91 your dog might be much different if a rescue volunteer is doing the clipping. Strange place and strange person doing fast and unexpected things to his tootsies. I hear that a lot from the cat owners, I can pull Fluffy out of the carrier, clip his claws and have him back in the carrier before he figures out what is going on. The owners are usually pretty amazed because its usually a 2 person job at home.

Comment

My Fluffy doesn't have the luxury of having a expert doing her nails. I do 'em myself and she has to deal with it! Oh, how she hates it.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              jedimaster91 your dog might be much different if a rescue volunteer is doing the clipping. Strange place and strange person doing fast and unexpected things to his tootsies. I hear that a lot from the cat owners, I can pull Fluffy out of the carrier, clip his claws and have him back in the carrier before he figures out what is going on. The owners are usually pretty amazed because its usually a 2 person job at home.
              She might, but I doubt it. She's always been a little skittish and I've been lazy desensitizing her to having her feet handled. Over time we've gone from just doing a gentle hold to keep her from running off to Mr Jedi having to practically lay on her to keep her still. Not the best way to make nail trims a not completely traumatic experience, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Personally I wouldn't mind a rescue volunteer (or anyone who's not me, lol) clipping her, but if she gets feisty, I warned ya. Though I am gonna talk to my vet and see if I can get some Dramamine or something just to calm her down a bit. At least then she'll sleep good that night.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

But I can't make it on Saturday! What am I going to do? I can't wait another month!
                Book an appt. at your dog's vet? Or is that crazy talk?

I do not understand people who treat things like this as the only place & time they can have a thing done. It's not like nobody else in the world can trim nails. Kyree, I'm sure you do a great job, I just think if that lady couldn't make it, she needs to grow up and get it done somewhere else.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                  She might, but I doubt it. She's always been a little skittish and I've been lazy desensitizing her to having her feet handled. Over time we've gone from just doing a gentle hold to keep her from running off to Mr Jedi having to practically lay on her to keep her still. Not the best way to make nail trims a not completely traumatic experience, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Personally I wouldn't mind a rescue volunteer (or anyone who's not me, lol) clipping her, but if she gets feisty, I warned ya. Though I am gonna talk to my vet and see if I can get some Dramamine or something just to calm her down a bit. At least then she'll sleep good that night.
                  I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about dogs except that they are cute and love people. I'm not allowed to walk the dogs at rescue because I reinforce their bad habits.

Me: SIT
                  Dog: Whatever (runs around madly twisting the lease around my legs)
                  ME SIT
                  Dog: Is here good? (knocks me over, sits on my face and farts)

However, is it possible that you can sneak up on your pup while she's sleeping? That's what I do with our house feral. I know that its mean, he's all happy and snoozing and suddenly someone is holding his foot and doing unspeakable things to him, but he hasn't scratched me in years.

Comment

Quoth AngloSaxonViking View Post
                    ...answering "WHY?" (aka WHINE) questions. Most of us grew out of WHY? questions at about 7.
                    The only answers to a "Why?" question are: "Why not?" or "Because."
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Book an appt. at your dog's vet? Or is that crazy talk?
                      Yes it is! Vets cost money! Don't you understand?
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        ME SIT
                        Dog: Is here good? (knocks me over, sits on my face and farts)
                        This really sounds like a dog I used to walk. Perfectly behaved around other dogs/people, it was just with me he was a little shit at times.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                        X