This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto-reply emails

When I get emails from Customers Suck! (pms and subscribed threads usually) there is note on the bottom similar to 'Please do not reply to this email'. So what happens if you do?

I'm going on holiday this summer and setting up auto-reply on my email account because I use it for work as well as personal, and I don't think I can set it up to not reply to certain addresses.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

I just checked -- only PM's seem to have that line for me. If you hit Reply, you'll be sending an email to Raps (or, a least, an address set up for board emailing purposes). It will NOT be sent to the forum itself, or to whomever sent you the PM at all. Really just a notice so you know not to bother
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Not sure of the particulars of the setup here, but usually when e-mails come from a source with the "don't reply", it's because the mailbox is a "bot" triggered by certain circumstances (IIRC, the one here sends e-mail whenever you get a PM), and is not monitored by a human. Replying to the e-mail in such cases isn't harmful, but it's a waste of time since the normal practice is for the "bot" to discard received e-mails to avoid tying up too much space.

I hope your auto-reply is well-behaved. There have been cases of poorly behaved auto-reply bots where two people set one up, and the second person to do so sent a broadcast message to their contacts saying they'd be away for $period - and the first person was among their contacts. The result was an "e-mail storm", where each "bot" replied to the other, triggering another auto-reply. It's even worse when both people are subscribed to an unmoderated mailing list that's set up so each message to the list gets sent out to all members - first post to the list by ANYONE results in it being distributed to both people with auto-reply "bots". Cue 2 e-mails to the list, each of which is in turn distributed to the entire list - with each in turn generating 2 more messages being sent out to everyone on the list. Lather, rinse, repeat.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

*We are sorry. This thread is an automatic thread and posts will not be replied to.Please do not reply to posts on here*
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

~~ No way to controool iiit - It's up to the Au-to-ma-tic ~~
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

To provide a precise answer, if you attempt to send an email to *any* customerssuck.com address, it will fail. CS is not meant to receive email, so there is no service set up to receive anything. This removes attack vectors (can't compromise something that doesn't exist). It prevents anybody from ever finding a way to spam members via email (same thing).

In other words, if you hit that reply button, you'll get a message in your email client of choice telling you that there's no way to send that email, and please figure out something else to do.

Comment

Working...
            X