This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden bowl care

Among the treasures in my storage unit, I've come across a handmade wooden bowl that I bought while doing an article on a woodworker, during my first real journalism job.

Okay, enough sentiment.

I don't have a clue what kind of wood it is, but I can tell you it's "distressed" wood. Given what it's been through (stored in a non-climate-controlled storage unit) I'm amazed it hasn't disintegrated into toothpicks already.

Can anybody recommend some oil to help extend its life?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

What do you plan to use it for?

As old as you describe it is, I would not use it for food serving. As such, a cleaning with Murphy's should do it good. Then I would use Butcher's wax.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

You could go to a craft show, find a woodworker who makes that type of bowl and ask them.

Or look on Google. For example:

How to Restore Old Dry Wood Bowls
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

csquared: It's decorative only. At most it might have some potpourri in it, or Christmas decorations ... stuff like that. I never intended to use it for food. Thanks for the recommendations!

Ironclad Alibi: I don't know if there are wood shows in my area but will keep an eye out for one. Also, at the moment, the bowl doesn't feel particularly dry ... to my surprise.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'd try actual beeswax. It feeds the wood, and leaves a nice scent. Since you're not intending to use it for food storage there's no need to worry about disinfecting it.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Having watched a couple of You Tube videos about restoring things, I looked for ones on restoring wooden bowls. I found a few.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
            X