X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes & Ebay -- taxguykarl??

Weird question.

I know most people probably don't worry about this (nor do they worry about it with garage sales either), but I don't want to run afoul of the IRS...

I have some stuff in my garage that I could probably sell on eBay (Dale Earnhardt wall clock, anyone? Nolan Ryan poster or Nolan Ryan Corn Flakes box?)

Anyhow, based on cursory reading it sounds like I would need to report my "profit" from selling the items. For instance, a quick Google search shows me that the Nolan Ryan Corn Flakes box is selling for between $10 and $50. I doubt mine would sell for that much, since it's smashed, but that's just an example.

The Dale Earnhardt clock is going for between $11 and $45.

I have some other stuff I could probably sell. I'm not really looking to make a profit. Just want to get rid of the stuff. The money would be a side benefit.

I've also got a hockey jersey I could get rid of.

So what are the tax implications of selling this stuff on eBay?

There's also a lot of clothes I could either just donate or toss. I really need a good garage cleaning.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Drop karl a PM and link him here.

AFAIK -- You're supposed to pay taxes on any and all ebay profit (their site probably has a FAQ about it), in addition to the buyer paying sales tax on it. I'm sure karl would know more.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Technically the sale of collectibles is a capital gain. If you inherited the item or owned it for more than a year, that is a long term capital or loss. If you owned it for less than a year, that would be a short term gain or loss.

The sale is reported on Form 8949 (Instructions).

The total losses and gains are reported on Schedule D (instructions).

If you opt to donate, here is a donation value guide published by the Salvation Army. Just make sure that you keep the donations less than $5000/organization/day; otherwise you will absolutely need an appraisal and will not be allowed to file electronically.

Report those contributions on Form 8283(instructions).

PM me your email and I'll send a spreadsheet to track those donations--it was inspired by one of my savvy regulars.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
      X