This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've heard of speed dating ...

... but I've just had my first encounter with speed interviewing.

I was called in for an interview for a cashier's position at a little ethnic supermarket.

So I show up today -- on time, just for the record -- only to be told the manager is "busy."

Okay, I say, I'll wait.

A few minutes later a different person comes out from the back and tells me the manager is "very busy."

Not a problem, I say, I'll wait.

Within a few minutes of this second messenger, the manager comes out with a small sheaf of papers in her hand, among which is my resume and cover letter. We stand in the store while she asks a few questions, jots down a few notes ... and then tells me she has more interviews to do and will make a decision by midweek next week.

I think the "interview" took less time than the last-minute prep stuff I did in the car after I parked!!

Wow. Not sure what to think of that. The first two times they said he was busy, did they offer to reschedule?
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Just for the record, it's a woman, and no, they didn't, so I was rather puzzled. I didn't think saying, "Oh, OK, 'bye then!" was exactly the thing to do, but ... if she genuinely was too busy for a pre-scheduled interview ... why not call and let me know ahead of time, or, if it was something last-minute then at least, as you say, make an offer to reschedule?

My main thought is that I'm not getting this job.

Comment

I can understand an emergency coming up at the last minute. In that case, I would expect "Sorry. We have had a problem and need to reschedule."

That sound more like they already decided who they are going to hire and tried to blow off the interview, and you didn't take the hint (I think you did the right thing).

I am not sure I would want to work for someone like that if they offered. Then again, I am not unemployed and in need of a job. Some times you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck on the job hunt!
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          More like "I don't think I want this job."

When the manager keeps you waiting by appointed time or fails to offer to reschedule if an emergency came up, it's a pretty good sign that the manager (and by extension her staff) has no respect for anyone she deems to be "under" her. At least that is what it seems like to me.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post

My main thought is that you probably don't want that job.

Geez, they set up a time for an interview, you go to the tourlbe of dressing for it, being prepared, and showing up on time, and they brush you off with no aploogies, no offer to reschedule, nothing?

Anyone who treats people they've scheduled for interviews so shabbily probably treats their employees even worse.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I can see a few things spilling over into the appointed interview time, like the interviewing manager having to jump onto a register, on the phone with the head office/another employee/whatever for longer then intended, or helping a customer that took waaaaaaay too long. But just to blow off an interview like that?

I would've walked out after the second time.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                I can understand an emergency coming up at the last minute. In that case, I would expect "Sorry. We have had a problem and need to reschedule."

That sound more like they already decided who they are going to hire and tried to blow off the interview, and you didn't take the hint (I think you did the right thing).

I am not sure I would want to work for someone like that if they offered. Then again, I am not unemployed and in need of a job. Some times you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck on the job hunt!
                I did consider that they'd already decided they didn't want me but in my past experience, interviews are held as scheduled even if it's basically (from their POV) a waste of time. I've never encountered this before.

I definitely didn't appreciate the treatment and I doubt I'd accept a job with them even if they offered me one. Then again ... I could always quit come Labour Day.

Quoth raudf View Post
                More like "I don't think I want this job."

When the manager keeps you waiting by appointed time or fails to offer to reschedule if an emergency came up, it's a pretty good sign that the manager (and by extension her staff) has no respect for anyone she deems to be "under" her. At least that is what it seems like to me.

She seemed polite enough when she finally emerged but there's much in what you say. And yeah, I'd been fairly enthusiastic about the job when I applied, but that has definitely flatlined.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                My main thought is that you probably don't want that job.

Geez, they set up a time for an interview, you go to the tourlbe of dressing for it, being prepared, and showing up on time, and they brush you off with no aploogies, no offer to reschedule, nothing?

Anyone who treats people they've scheduled for interviews so shabbily probably treats their employees even worse.
                I was wearing a freshly-ironed blouse, no less!!

That's an interesting point about how the employees may be treated: I went through a list of parttime jobs in the city ... and this place seems to be looking for everything: baker, cashiers, deli, etc.

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                I can see a few things spilling over into the appointed interview time, like the interviewing manager having to jump onto a register, on the phone with the head office/another employee/whatever for longer then intended, or helping a customer that took waaaaaaay too long. But just to blow off an interview like that?

I would've walked out after the second time.
                In hindsight, that's what I should've done. But of course hindsight is 20/20 ...

Comment

I'm wondering if they are looking for everyone if the store just did a massive dead weight cut. And now it's a new manager who is so rushed they don't know which way is up anymore.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    I'm wondering if they are looking for everyone if the store just did a massive dead weight cut. And now it's a new manager who is so rushed they don't know which way is up anymore.
                    That, of course, is also a possibility ... although if they need staff as badly as that, there's still the question of why they blew off a scheduled interview ...

Comment

I had the same thing happen when I interviewed for a programmers position at some local furniture store.

I got to the location with plenty of time to spare and checked in with the receptiionist. she told me the manager/hiring person was running a little behind.

No problem I can wait.

Manager finally get to me 15 minutes later. He does not take to me an office or in the back but proceeds to "walk" me up to the front of the store, all while making small talk and asking a "FEW" pertinant job related questions.

Finally at the front of the store, he bids me goodbye and turns and leaves.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Wow. I'm guessing you wouldn't have taken that job under any circumstances after that? As others here have said, you have to wonder how they treat their employees, if they treat the potential ones as shabbily as that.

I have to wonder if these people don't stop to think that they've also lost a potential customer by their treatment. Or perhaps their business is doing so well that they just don't care.

Comment

Working...
                        X