This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She wants soup, get her soup!

Another little gem from yesterday... had 4 different people arguing over this one patient's request...

NN= Nice Nurse
    SN= Sucky Nurse
    S= Supervisor
    C= Clerk
    Me= Getting increasingly annoyed at the mention of this patient's name...

*phone rings*

Me: Diet Office.
    C: Hi! Can I get a soup for patient in room xxxx-x?
    Me: *Checks card file* Ummm unfortunately no, the patient's on a liquid restriction.
    C: Oh... nurse said she really needed it though... can we maybe remove the liquid restriction?
    Me: No, i'm sorry, I can't do that.
    C: Ok, i'll tell the nurse... thanks! *click*

A minute later, phone rings, its that floor again:

Me: Diet office.
    NN: Hi! You just talked to the clerk about the lady in room xxxx-x wanting a soup... why can't she get it?
    Me: Because she's on a liquid restriction and I can't send anything extra, the liquids are evenly spread out between all three meals throughout the day.
    NN: Oh... can be maybe increase the amount of liquid she's allowed?
    Me: Unfortunately I can't do that... You would have to ask the dietician, he's the one who set this restriction in the first place and so it would be up to him to decide to remove it or not.
    NN: Oh, that's ok, I totally understand, your hands are tied... thanks for your help!
    *click*

So I think this is all resolved and that'll be the end of that... but not 10 minutes later, my supervisor shows up in my office...

S: Hey Palomita, there's a man outside in the caf right now that says he wants a soup for his wife who's in room xxxx-x
    Me: Oh not that again... I already told the nurse I can't do anything for them, the lady's on a liquid restriction
    S: He says that he's gonna buy her a soup if we don't give them one though...
    Me: So let him buy it; at least it's his fault and not mine if something happens because she had too much liquid.
    S: Yeah ok...

She leaves... About half an hour later, she comes back in my office again:

S: Hey... the husband's back again. This time he says he's really pissed that we haven't sent anything to his wife.
    Me: Did you tell him why we couldn't?
    S: Yeah, but he just won't hear it... he doesn't want to listen to me.
    Me: Let me give it a try then...

So I go to talk to the guy... only to find out when I get to the cafeteria that he's gone (my sup doesn't see him anywhere)... although right then i'm approached by a nurse (different nurse than the one I spoke with on the phone)...

SN: So how come this lady can't get her soup?
    Me: Because she's on a liquid restriction and there's nothing I can do...

At this point, the other nurse I spoke to on the phone happens to be near and hear me say that so she interjects:

NN (to SN): Oh hey, yeah I called earlier, she explained to me why she couldn't send the soup so its okay.
    SN: But the patient didn't even eat the soup she did receive on her lunch tray.
    Me: Wait, she received a soup? So why didn't she eat that one?
    SN: she didn't like it. She wants something else. So can't we just replace one for the other?
    Me: I can't do that either... I have no proof that she didn't eat her soup already, you didn't bring it back down with you... besides, she picked it off her menu choices by herself, so how would I know for sure she didn't eat it and simply wanted another one, which I can't send?
    SN: Well then go upstairs and get the soup, I'm telling you she didn't eat it.

At that point I was getting frustrated... fortunately NN interjected again:

NN (to SN): Oh leave her alone, she can't do anything about it and she's explained it to you already.

To that, I smiled at SN and then turned around and went back to my office... fortunately I didn't receive any more calls or any more visits for that patient, thankfully...
    A few definitions:
    Beauty: What a woman has when she looks the same after washing her face. (Hal Roach)
    Humanity: A work in progress. (Tennessee Williams).

I'm awfully sorry for this but as an avid Seinfeld watcher I feel it's my duty to say.......

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Geez, you'd think for most of the people involved being medical professionals of some sort, there'd be much better communication about the patient's condition and restrictions..... I mean, don't they have to keep such details straight for the benefit of the patient?
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

If I may say..."Soup is food's last chance to be eaten."
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Palomita View Post
          S: Hey... the husband's back again. This time he says he's really pissed that we haven't sent anything to his wife.
          Me: Did you tell him why we couldn't?
          S: Yeah, but he just won't hear it... he doesn't want to listen to me.
          Me: Let me give it a try then...
          I'm confused as to why your supervisor would need you to talk to someone who wouldn't "listen" to them.

Who's supervising who, here?

I also don't understand why the nurses who work there don't understand your facility's basic policies regarding diet planning.

I don't know how you manage it, really. It sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
            I'm confused as to why your supervisor would need you to talk to someone who wouldn't "listen" to them.

Sounds like a job for SOUPerman - he has SOUPervision!

Sorry, couldn't resist; I'll be quietly over here, now...
            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post

I also don't understand why the nurses who work there don't understand your facility's basic policies regarding diet planning.

I don't know how you manage it, really. It sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare.
              Oh it is a nightmare... hence why i'm desperately searching for a job elsewhere right now.

And as for my supervisor... she's only 20 and she looks like she's 14, so people tend to not take her seriously at times... And even though she is my supervisor, she doesn't know the job I do to the extent that I know it...
              She also started after me, and I tend to be one who's big on learning everything in detail so that I know what i'm talking about... so she always came to me to ask questions when she wasn't sure about how things work in the kitchen. So her and I's relationship is on a more level field than it would normally be... i've helped her out a lot.

And the soup puns gave me a chuckle
              I had totally forgotten about that episode of Seinfeld too... hehe
              A few definitions:
              Beauty: What a woman has when she looks the same after washing her face. (Hal Roach)
              Humanity: A work in progress. (Tennessee Williams).

Comment

I knew someone would pull out the Seinfeld quote...

I don't understand why the nurses are so insistent on trying to get extra *whatever* for patients. This is the 2nd story I've read from you on the theme. I nean if the amount of liquid they are allowed to have is restricted, ultimately that comes down to a doctor's orders, does it not? There's a reason they make dietary restrictions in the hospital, they're not just trying to be mean! My grandmother had congestive heart failure, so they had to watch how much liquid she got. You'd think the nurses would be explaining to the patient why they can't have more *whatever*, not the dietary clerk explaining to the nurses. Frankly that kinda scares me.

ams - shaking her head
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                X