Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, bitch about 400g, why don't you?

OK, I know this pertains to WoW, but anyways...I feel it's quite relevant, as I had to deal with a friend who turned out to be....rather sucky in the end.

A little BG: I have a Jewelcrafter on my main realm (went Jewelcrafter on my death knight so that I could cut gems, etc for myself...However, it's been fairly profitable, assuming I could find work).

Couple days ago, this person who I used to be good friends with hit lvl 90 on a toon of hers, and so I offered to make her a healer ring....I told her she would have to buy the mats off the AH, which she agreed to...Upon looking at the prices for Serpent's Eye gems, I realized she would have to pay out a good bit of money for 6 of them, so....I took to making 4 of the 6 she needed to get...Thus, the amount of gems she needed to get was GREATLY reduced, as was the cost....I saw this, then, as me doing a favor for her, which now, I wish I hadn't done (You will see why in a bit)

Normally, I do things for free for friends, provided they have materials ready. HOWEVER, this was an exception, being that Serpent's Eyes are fairly expensive, normally.....With that in mind, I politely asked for a 400g tip to cover the loss of my mats. Would I be posting about this if my "friend" had accepted? Not a chance....As soon as I asked for 400g, tip-wise, she went into ultra-bitch mode, and at first, I felt bad for her, but then I realized, she'd tried to pull a scam on me...Best part is, she put me on Ignore, which I blasted her for, as it's very immature, and she starts berating me for even ASKING for 400g, when in her eyes...Things like that should be FREE>.<

Oh well...Lesson learned...Will only be putting stuff on AH from now on, OR I will require people to get their own mats (No exceptions)

Maybe I'm not getting something.

We're talking gold pieces, right? Is this money she has to pay real money for, or can she earn it in the game? Sorry, I don't play WoW, so I don't know.

If she can get it in game, I don't see what the big fuss is about on her part (not yours, you deserve to be compensated for your in game services).
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

SS: The latter.

I don't think that it was unreasonable of Nytcrawler to ask for some help paying for the materials >_> The "friend", however, wanted something for nothing when it WAS a major expense for NC, rather than a trivial amount (I don't play WoW, so I don't really know how much is "trivial" there, but if NC asked for help, I'm thinking the value wasn't trivial )
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Grinding out 400G at high level really doesn't take that long, less so if you have an in demand profession the way Nytcrawler does. If you're good it takes maybe 10 to 15 hours of questing.

Of course I'm basing this on the game from 2 years ago. I haven't played in awhile. Those estimates may be more or less depending on changes that have been made.

Comment

At this point, 400g is nothing. at 85 (the last time I played, I stopped during Cataclysm) daily quests gave over 25g a pop, and trash from monsters vendored (selling it to an NPC) for plenty of gold as well.

If you just did daily quests (quests you could do every day, and doing all of them took MAYBE an hour if you were really unlucky or there were a ton of people doing them) you would be raking in thousands a week. 400g (during Cataclysm) was a pittance.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

At the current rates in game (yes, I play as well), about 1 hour of daily quests will get you the 400g being talked about.
            Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Wait? She's complaining about 400g? Seriously? Yeeesh, I'd have held off on the ring and told her to price it on the auction house and then get back to me.

And this is why I only do business through the auction house or free for the family (as in hubby and kiddo. Extended family is mats up front.)
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                Wait? She's complaining about 400g? Seriously? Yeeesh, I'd have held off on the ring and told her to price it on the auction house and then get back to me.

I ended up not makin' the ring anyways (She told me to go ahead and put it on AH)....Then, ofc, she puts ME on Ignore, because in her eyes, I'm "screwing" her over

Comment

I work in the building industry, and working for free is a hot issue currently.
                  I've been pointed to this flow chart...
                  http://shouldiworkforfree.com/

Comment

Yeah right you're screwing her over when you ask to be compensated for mats? You're better off w/o that friend.

Comment

i entirely understand where you're coming from.

back when I played EQ we had a great cleric who required certain components for her best buffs & healing spells.

We never even questioned the idea of providing her with components or coin to compensate for her losses. She was helping us so we provided the materials or funds.

I still do that in my current RPG - text only. We have "mage doors" in game that allow us to transport directly from one area to another. The doors are completely player-created, although the mages are kind enough to set them up so that the door at one location always links to the same spot each time the game reboots.

The component for the spell is nightshade. Players can grow them, but only rangers can forage them - thus encouraging cooperation. When I play, if I forage a nightshade I always make a point of saving it for one of the mages, free of charge. (luckily if they store it in their spell book it stays there until used, even after a reboot IIRC).

Comment

o.O wtf? Its 400g. 400g.. not like you're asking for 400k

I play a mud and while I'm kind of broke, I still insist for paying as much as I can. I don't like being gifted stuff.. .and if my crafter friends insist on making me stuff because its still 'newb gear' I rather go farm for the things needed. (And mind you, while easy enough to come by sometimes it can be a good hour or two with a semi-equipped party to get things for.)

the nerve of some people.
                        "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          i entirely understand where you're coming from.

back when I played EQ we had a great cleric who required certain components for her best buffs & healing spells.

We never even questioned the idea of providing her with components or coin to compensate for her losses. She was helping us so we provided the materials or funds.
                          Oh my ghu, I remember that. Buffing for a raid could be wicked bad expensive! I can remember going through stacks of peridots like water casting Marzin. I was cheesed off when they dropped the component after I stopped playing...

And then back in the day people would get so damned snotty when begging for buffs and you wouldn't just hand out the expensive buffs to non guildies and asked them to actually pay/pass over a component
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thank goodness those EQ days are gone. Mind you Clerics still have a component buff, but it's just Divine Invocation (DI; used for the tanks as a last ditch save) and it's 'just' an emerald; a stack of 100 is only 1300plat now.

As for your 'friend', they were no friend of yours. Hell, I often make Power sources for my guild, and I anguish over what to charge them (Each combine uses about 5 rubies each IIRC; about 600 pp for gems alone, plus another 1k in misc supplies. I usually charge them 1.5k to 2k and feel guilty, but they have no qualms about it.

Comment

My main issue (and this goes for WoW in general), is when people charge gold and call it a tip. If you're asking for an amount of gold, you're not being tipped you are being paid.

I'd suggest simply calling it compensation next time. "I need 400g to compensate for the mats I got/created for you. Or you could pay XXXX on the AH for the same thing. Up to you."

Her attitude though? Completely uncalled for, yet not shocking at all. Drama is common in Azeroth.

Comment

Working...
                              X