Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with human error....this guy was a turkey. Booo. Don't demand freebies for your mess up.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
      I was close to that, but I was thinking of THIS instead.
      That is exactly the clip I thought of
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

The only time I've had a serious fuel bath was when the previous SC left the nozzle full of fuel - in this case diesel, so delightfully oily and stinky with that aroma that seeps into your skin and stays there all day (and then some...)

I detached the nozzle from the pump, and the pooled diesel poured all over me. I was filling up on the way to work too, so I had the lovely smell lingering all day.

I've also occasionally had a ditzy moment filling the bike when I've overflowed slightly. Gives you a lovely eau de premium unleaded for a bit, but it's usually just a small trickle of petrol. And my own silly fault, too.

I didn't demand free fuel from the service station folks though! What a cheek.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          It happened to me once, as well. Half-empty car, stick nozzle in, start pumping. After only a few litres of fuel were in the car - nowhere near enough to fill it, and no 'click off' - sudden backspray.

My father theorised that there was an air bubble involved somewhere.
          I've had this happen as well and came to the same conclusion. There was no physical blockage on my intake pipe and the nozzle was working perfectly fine, yet I nearly got a shower a couple times while fueling up. I know that the tank wasn't full because I never had enough money to fill that beast up.
          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I was just reminded of the Metallica song "Fuel". It starts off "Give me Fuel, Give me Fire, Give me that which I desire" and then explodes with fire. Maybe that is what is needed.
            "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
              I was just reminded of the Metallica song "Fuel". It starts off "Give me Fuel, Give me Fire, Give me that which I desire" and then explodes with fire. Maybe that is what is needed.
              And I can't ever listen to that song anymore without hearing this:

ETA: You're welcome.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                I don't know about the other side of the pond, but at least on this side of the pond you put the nozzle in your tank, you pull up on the handle, flick the little auto fill holder in place, and it clicks off by itself when the tank is full.
                The problem being that the automatic shut off is not 100% all the time. Most places around here that have them have signs stating that the auto-shut off is for convenience, may not work, you need to stay at the car paying attention and any spilled gas is your responsibility.

Quoth Aethian View Post
                When I'm near empty I put in some, pull the nozzle back, bump the car, and then continue fueling. I've been told this can burp the tank. No idea if it works but I've only had back splash once.
                Now I am picturing someone with their car over their shoulder patting it on the roof trying to "burp" it.

OK. My drenched in fuel story. I was about ten years old on my parents boat at the fuel dock and for the first time my parents are letting me fill the tank. Fast nozzle with no auto shut off and I am literally holding my head directly over the fill hole attempting to see when the tank is getting full.

Queue an eruption of fuel directly into my eyes. I leaped over the side of the boat into Boston harbor (back before they cleaned it up). Eh, the nasty water was far better than eyeballs coated in gasoline.
                You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

We had a guy similar to your show up at my facility a few days ago. He royally screwed up, by pressing the NOZZLE TRIGGER BEFORE HE ACTUALLY PUT THE NOZZLE INTO THE TANK. Needless to say, he pissed off our maintenance guy ten fold by spilling at least $15.00 of diesel all over his motorhome, the diesel island, and himself, and then proceeded to bitch and demand his money back. At this point, I'm serving about ten customers in line, and the twit tries to push his way through. So I made a point of serving everyone, and carrying on extended conversation with the last guy in the line, seeing as how he's a regular and all.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    I have found that actually placing the fueling handle back in the pump helps a lot, too >_> Once, I was behind a guy who failed to do so -- he fueled up, paid, and hopped back in his car with the nozzle still in his gas tank. o_O Thank goodness for breakaway safety mechanisms, or that could have gotten very ugly, very quickly.
                    I've seen halfway-installed breakaway mechanisms (deliberate "weak spot" in the hose, with a coil spring that will close off the open end fairly well), but I've never seen the other half of the mechanism installed - a 3/8" cable, parallel to the hose, and anchored solidly to the pump island and the nozzle. After all, you don't want to replace the nozzle when someone drives off with it in their fuel filler.

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
                    The only time I've had a serious fuel bath was when the previous SC left the nozzle full of fuel - in this case diesel, so delightfully oily and stinky with that aroma that seeps into your skin and stays there all day (and then some...)
                    I'm always careful about that - not because of spillage, but because I want that half-pint of fuel "downstream" from the valve in the nozzle.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Hell yeah - free fuel!!!

Comment

A bit O/T, and I'm sure most people here have enough common sense to figure it out, but here's a hint for dealing with gas pumps that feed regular, mid-grade, and premium through the same hose (just push a different button on the pump):

If your car needs mid-grade or premium, don't stop at one of these pumps if you just need a slight "top-up" - go to a place that has separate hoses for all grades (some have the single-hose setup, and beside it a separate hose for premium - get your premium from the separate hose). There's a fair bit of fuel "downstream" from the select-a-grade mechanism (my guess is around a gallon), so you'll be getting that much of whatever grade the last customer bought. If you're only getting a couple gallons to "top up" your tank, you'll be paying premium prices for a fill that's half regular (and the guy behind you will get the same amount of premium). The more you put in at one shot, the smaller a percentage of your fill will be this "trapped" gas. If you fill up through a "premium only" hose, you'll be getting ALL premium.

A corollary: if you see a car that clearly NEEDS premium (e.g. a Corvette), and get in line behind them (even if other pumps are open), the "trapped" gas will be premium, even if you're buying regular.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X