Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh Dear God! What have I done? (New Dog in House)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Dear God! What have I done? (New Dog in House)

Clementine & I went to the animal shelter yesterday and looked at doggies that were there. We played with a little Bichon/Poodle mix male named Aldo. He was a cutie! Looked like a Poodle (with the curly fur) except for the tail, I don't think a Poodle's tail curls that much. He was champagne and white colored. Cute little fellow. However, we had to be at her Speech Therapist's office which is about 45 minutes away from the shelter, then we had to go to my in-laws' house (and spend the night!) right after the therapist visit. So I didn't think getting a new doggie (1 year old) and stressing it out would have been a good thing.

I told Clyde about the dog. How cute and adorable he was. Today, I had to go to a mini conference about various therapies and stuff that can help kids with special needs, especially those on the Autism Spectrum. Told Clyde that he should take Clementine and check out the dog, and if he liked him, they could adopt him while I was at mini conference.

Clyde made a snarky comment about how if I had really wanted the dog, I'd have adopted him yesterday and brought him down to his mother's house. I got mad and decided to go to the pound before going to my mini conference. Good thing I did too! He was still there, waiting for me. So I called up Clyde and said we're getting a dog! And we've adopted him.

HOWEVER, the owner was wrong in telling the shelter he was neutered. He wasn't. So we don't get him until Tuesday after his surgery. And Clementine has decided to call him Billy.

So between now and Tuesday, we're preparing the house for a new dog.

Also, how do I prepare my two 10 year old cats for the arrival of a new family member?

And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Keep him on a leash around them for a few days, until they know him. If he barks and shows aggression, reprimand him right away. If he's calm, praise him and give him treats. You want him to associate the cats as bringing good things, not as his prey. If they run, restrain him so he won't chase them. If they slap him, this is a good thing. It establishes boundaries and control, and teaches him not to offend them. And be sure, when he's not around, to give them lots of love, and extra cat treats. Don't forget the power of a closed door to seperate animals until they become used to each other.

Eventually, the dog will learn who's master (and, for the safety of the cats, it shouldn't be him.)
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Well, got a call from the shelter today. Apparently, I have to go pick up my dog because he has an upper respiratory infection, and he needs to be on meds for 14 days so the infection can clear up. Then I have to return him to the shelter, where they will transport him to the animal hospital to have him neutered.

Now I'm going to have to confine my cats so they don't get sick.

I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. Thank you.
      And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Working...
      X