Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I expect? (Dentist appointment)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tama View Post
    How much has it cost you to have them removed? Or have you not had it done surgically?
    Removing teeth at the regular dentists is fairly cheap. Not sure what it costs where you live but when I lived in Maryland it was around $50/tooth, plus meds. That was a while ago, though.

For a regular extraction nowadays, expect between $75-$300 per tooth. You'll probably hit the upper end because you have so many complications. The type of anesthetic also affects the price.

Your insurance should pay around 80% per tooth up to your max benefit since you are having them out for medical reasons rather than cosmetic. Check with your provider.

Check with the oral surgeon and see if you can set up a payment plan for the rest. A down payment, however modest, might make the office manager take you seriously.

I'm glad the swelling is going down.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have a figure.

Roughly $10,000, give or take $1,000 from the dental insurance.

Blergggh.
      Last edited by Tama; 04-30-2015, 12:36 AM.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Advice for when they do the procedure, since you're going to an oral surgeon and it might come in handy for you.

Don't ever be afraid to admit you have anxiety. NEVER. I admit freely to every dentist or oral surgeon that if the pain gets to intense, my jaws will close before the pain hits my brain. I feel it's saved many a finger!

If you have a high or very low pain med tolerance, TELL THEM. I can take a 10mg hydrocodone and can drive with no problems. (I do wait a couple of hours after I've taken one before driving, just in case.) That same dosage will put my husband under the table, hallucinating. If you find the pain medicine wearing off before the recommended dosage time, ask if there is something else you can take or do to relieve the pain between times. Pain may be nature's way of telling you to not be stupid, but there's no need to put up with it if you aren't being stupid. I was told I could use Orajel on the inside of my cheek to help, but to not put it directly on the wounds.

One thing my oral surgeon said was, "Don't get to enthusiastic in swishing it around the first couple of days. You can knock the clot loose that way, so I recommend letting it soak into the area first and then slowly swish it around." It will sting for a bit after the saline, but once that sting goes away, it will feel less irritated.

Also, if you get stitches (my wisdom teeth were cut out, and because they had to cut into the gums to get at them, I needed stitches) make sure you know what type you are getting. There are two kinds for oral surgery, the kind that dissolve and the kind that don't. For both, you'll get a list of "when to worry," and a list of how to take care of them so you don't have to. I had the dissolving kind and was told don't be surprised if one comes loose by the fourth day and after that, there is no concern for them after that.

Another thing that I noted didn't get mentioned is if they have to pull upper teeth. Your sinuses may hate you for a bit. I was warned to avoid blowing my nose for the same length of time that I was to avoid straws. I suggest a netti pot, because it uses saline solution and gravity to do the job without the pain. (Nothing like the novocaine numbing the sinus along with the upper jaw!)

The first few times you do the saline swish, there will be blood mixed in the fluid. Don't panic. The only time to be concerned is if you see a clot in the fluid. As mentioned that could be the socket clot, so contacting your dentist or oral surgeon is strongly recommended.

Things to avoid, straws, hard candy, anything that you normally suck on instead of licking *makes room in the gutter* and gum. The lack of gum about killed everyone around me. I had braces as a teen and even though it was on the list, my braces were covered in bubblegum!
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I wonder if you can bring a loved one in with you to hold your hand when they put you under. My mother was there at my second last dental appointment because I was afraid of the time when the dentist lowers the chair to clean my teeth.

Yes, my dentist does everything. He even does the administrative work on weekdays. On weekends, his wife helps him out in that area, but he still cleans my teeth. No dental hygienist in his office, and no other dentist available. It's just him and his wife.
          Last edited by cindybubbles; 05-01-2015, 11:39 PM.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
          X