This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sushi Train!

So I'm going out to a conveyor-belt sushi place this week...problem is, I have NEVER been to one before.

While I like my sushi, generally I'll go for the chicken, vegetarian or the egg varieties. as a result, I have copped some flak from my boyfriend's mate about eating "fake" sushi (I have yet to correct him on this).

So a few questions:

-What should I expect?
    -What are some no-nos in regards to eating at these places? (Most of my sushi is takeaway)
    -What should I avoid? (I can't stand tuna or mushrooms*, will eat pretty much anything otherwise)

*-I don't like the texture of mushrooms, the smell of tuna makes me nauseous.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Plates on the belt usually are color coded in some way. This will tell you how much the plate costs and usually what type of fish etc is on the plate.

It is perfectly ok to order from the menu. Especially if there is nothing on the belt you want.

Don't be afraid to ask a server/restaurant worker questions. The first time I went for sushi I was really clueless and even with a friend who had been to sushi a dozen times I asked the server a ton of questions. They were more than happy to recommend things and educate me.

Really can't say what to avoid, it's more a matter of personal preference. I usually recommend people going to sushi for the first time experiment to figure out what they do or do not like. I personally can't stand most of the sauces and such that some people like. I tend to stick to soy and the occasional wasabi.

White fish tend to be less powerful in flavor while red/fatty fish tend to have more overpowering flavors. This is why most folks will tell you to start with white fish.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post

While I like my sushi, generally I'll go for the chicken, vegetarian or the egg varieties. as a result, I have copped some flak from my boyfriend's mate about eating "fake" sushi (I have yet to correct him on this).
      He's an idiot. I don't eat the raw fish either. I do like the shrimp, so that's my only exception because it's cooked.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I agree that the dude is an idiot. I DO eat the raw fish, love sashimi, and eat a lot of the traditional sushi. That being said, if a sushi restaurant is serving it as sushi, it's sushi, no matter what the guy may think. It may not be traditional sushi, but so what? Sushi has a tradition of innovation and adapting to local ingredients. Out west, for example, it's not that odd to see sushi incorporating jalapeños. Down here in Key West, you see sushi with conch, which is probably not all that familiar to most Japanese. I could be wrong on this, of course, but I believe conch is generally a tropical/Caribbean area species. I don't personally care for conch sushi, not because it's not traditional, but because if it's not pounded and cooked, conch is just too tough for my tastes.

Look, if you like it, eat it. I encourage you to try new things, of course, but if you know you don't like mushrooms or tuna, don't eat them. And if anyone gives you flak about it, tell them to go piss up a rope.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Tomagosushi is a favorite of mine, a sort of slightly sweet and salty paper thin omelet folded and on the sushi rice.

I also like the ebisushi - the shrimp stuff =)

I unfortunately can not eat the seaweed, so I have to find a place that does the soy wrappers.

The rolled stuff - they make one locally here that has tempura onion and yam that we really like. I also like California roll - fake crab, cucumber and avocado and the rice.

You can also frequently ask for custom stuff - decide what bits and pieces look interesting and ask =)
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
            He's an idiot. I don't eat the raw fish either. I do like the shrimp, so that's my only exception because it's cooked.
            Apart from salmon and calamari, I'm generally not much of a big fish eater. I'll eat it, but if you give me a choice of chicken or fish, I'll go for chicken.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            Tomagosushi is a favorite of mine, a sort of slightly sweet and salty paper thin omelet folded and on the sushi rice.
            )
            The tamago I've usually had is nice and thick.

I double checked the menu of this particular place and they do aburi sushi as well,which is kind of like the equivalent of having a medium-rare steak (that is, the fish is half-cooked). Apparently according to google reviews, they use a blowtorch

Comment

I agree that canned tuna has a rather strong smell. Fresh, raw tuna, like all fresh, raw fish, should have no smell to it whatsoever.

Personally, I really like the Philly roll (smoked salmon, avocado, and cream cheese) and the rainbow roll (cucumber, krab, avocado on inside, a variety of fishes on the outside, usually salmon and tuna and yellow tail).

Accounting Drone - you can always eat the nigiri style sushi, it's just the rice with the fish (or whatever) on top, no nori.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post

Accounting Drone - you can always eat the nigiri style sushi, it's just the rice with the fish (or whatever) on top, no nori.
                tamago has a little bit of nori on top (to hold it together).

As for the tuna debate, even tuna mornay has that smell that puts me off.

Comment

I tend to ask them to leave the green seatbelt off It usually isn't an issue, it can be peeled off if they don't

The tamogo omelet is paperthin rolled into a single lump about 2 fingers high, 1 finger thick and as wide as the little omelet pan makes them. I make them at home actually - it is an omelet variation that I like to eat. Though I have been known to add stuff like minced shrimp, minced scallion, minced ham or whatnot to the eggs before cooking them.

And I know I can do the scattered sushi, but because I dislike many of the common toppings I have to specify which ones I like and it can get expensive. I normally will order 1 order of salmon sashimi, 1 order of tuna sashimi, one of the tempura rolls, one california roll and one order of tamagosushi if they have soy wrappers. If they don't I will stick with the sashimi and just order a couple extra egg sushis.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

AccountingDrone, would you mind possibly PMing me the name of the restaurant since we're in the same state

I pretty much only eat tuna, but veggie rolls are amazing! Watch the amount of plates you take. It can add up quickly.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      I tend to ask them to leave the green seatbelt off It usually isn't an issue, it can be peeled off if they don't
                      green seatbelt I will never look at tamagonigiri the same way again.

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
                      Watch the amount of plates you take. It can add up quickly.
                      Will do. My friend and I are going into the restaurant with strict budgets for both of us.

Comment

I think the conveyor belt places generally has a "cheat sheet" on the table. Just treat the empty plates as you would if you were at a dim sum type place so they can tally your bill at the end.
                        I've recently learned that they way I dunk my sushi into my wasabi/soy sauce mixture is totally wrong - I dunk the bottom into the small dish and let it sit there to soak up the salty wasabi goodness. I do this only with rolls and not unagi or "seatbelt" sushi (love that phrase) .
                        As for sushi itself - I've never had any with chicken or mushrooms - do you know what it is called?
                        I am a huge Unagi fan (BBQ freshwater eel) you can't miss it when it goes by on the belt - try one!. It is not a "small mouth" sushi - just fair warning.
                        Favorite rolls are: Cal. roll and Mariner roll (like the Cal roll but with smoked salmon instead of Krab and cream cheese). Rolls usually come down the line with 4-6 pieces instead of the two.
                        Dang, now I have to wait two days until sushi happy hour night...
                        Let us know what you tried and liked!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Look, if you like it, eat it. I encourage you to try new things, of course, but if you know you don't like mushrooms or tuna, don't eat them. And if anyone gives you flak about it, tell them to go piss up a rope.
                          This! Sushi just means "with rice" - anyone telling you that it isn't "real" sushi is just being pretentious. It doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg to be delicious.

Comment

Working...
                          X