This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to apply for job but out of work for 2 years

Yes, that's right. Two years out of work. Partially because I had a baby, and the rest of it is for medical stuff (of my own).
    I really want to apply for a specific job, and I'm not sure what to do about my "latest" employer. Because while I was unemployed, I volunteered @ a food bank, for about a year. Since then I've done a little bit of community service (tickets). Could I use that for volunteering?
    The last job I had that paid to me was in 2010. At the beginning of 2011 I stopped working totally. (long story, ask me if you want later)

But now, do I put that volunteering in? It's gonna really mess with my resume. Do I put the 2010 job in? Short contract job. Help! Can anyone look over my current (old old) resume and help me with it?

Please?
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Its hard to give advice without knowing what the job and requirements are. I have done some resume browsing/hiring at a few jobs and would be happy to look over yours if you email the wanted ad and resume to me, but if it has really specific requirements I may not be able to help much (really technical, artistic or education dependant fields for example).

Also I don't know where you live, but from the few foreign resumes I have gotten I think that formatting expectations in different continents vary wildly, but if you live in North America I can critique that also.

If you've already found help, then good luck with the interview!
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Put your job in the job experience section, and the volunteer work in the volunteer work section.

In this economy, I doubt too many people will raise much of an eyebrow about two years. When you interview you'll have an opportunity to explain the gap.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Not knowing much about your situation, I would say absolutely put in the volunteer work. I was always told that it shows you were out and about, not sitting at home playing Farmville 18 hours a day, LOL. I'm not sure why you feel it would mess up your resume.

And Sapphire Silk is correct: it should go in a 'volunteer' section of your resume.

As for your your 2010 job, is there any reason it should not go in? (e.g. were you fired under extremely inauspicious circumstances? ) Regardless of why you left, if you left in good graces with your boss, I don't see any reason not to include it.

Comment

I would put your work up to 2010-you said you then were off because you had a baby-well that's a perfectly legit explanation for why you weren't working.

So depending on when you became pregnant...

So up to 2010-paid work.Reason for leaving-short contract and impending birth of child.
          From 2011-homemaker and mother to child (born xxxx),also volunteered at the XYZ Charity.

You can use that as a reference-for 2 years,you were punctual,hardworking,honest and capable.Reason for leaving that-if application is successful,resuming full time employment.
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
          X