Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever had a teacher who seemed to be out to get you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was in 4th grade, I was at a private school that tested after ..... I want to say every even year, to see how we were doing academically. Now, I suck at math, I've always hated math, the only math I liked was Geometry because there was LOGIC to what was going on. I also love to read, and can easily recall what I've read. So, we're doing this standardized test on everything, and I just Christmas treed the math section, so I could read my book.

Naturally, I failed the math portion spectacularly.

So, the school drags the vice principal and me to an empty classroom, and has the VP proctor the math section just for me (ain't I special). Well, I started doing the problems in my head, and the VP stopped the test and made me write out the problems. Then I was only working out the problems on one quarter of the paper I had. So she stopped the test and made me use the whole page. Then she noticed my numbers weren't lining up (like the ten's place was under the hundred's place type stuff). She then stopped the test again and had me line up the numbers properly.

Did I mention that this was a timed standardized test? So when they were presenting my results to my parents, they pretty much said "So we gave Parrot the math section, and she tested on a kindergarten level. But then we *Everything in the last paragraph, and a few other things I don't remember now* and now she's testing on a 7th grade level! <beam>"

My mom pulled my sister and I out of that school after that.......

I also had a tutor (again, I hate/suck at math) from one of those tutoring companies. Mom takes me in for my first session and tells them that my problem area is math. They test me, and decide that I'm having problems with reading comprehension (I was reading at a college level by 6th grade), and spent all my sessions doing reading comprehension practice.

Then they told my mom how awesome I was doing at reading comprehension! I only went there for a month....

Then my IEP teacher told me (in front of my mom, no less) that I deserved to fail. This would be the lady who FOR 4 YEARS never got me the alphasmart that was in my IEP (my handwriting was shite in HS, and is only sporadically legible now. This was a little typewriter-type thing that I could use to write notes and print them off at home. I also had enough math units to graduate and she pulled me out of Horticulture and placed me in Statistics. (Had she asked, my mom and I would have preferred Geometry 2. I had enough credits to graduate, but not get into college without taking a remedial math course)

My mom did tell me that I had earned my F, but I did not deserve to fail, and the only reason that Mrs. Epps was still in one piece was that she (my mom) was too busy picking up her jaw from the floor.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Gahh....student teachers who screw up that badly
      We get given a TON of training before we're chucked into schools!

Nice to hear a story of how private school is not for everybody either...
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Sorry, IEP is Individual Education Plan. I have ADHD and slight Asperger's, the IEP was to help me get the attention I needed without putting me in special ed classes. Mrs. Epps was supposed to be taking care of me, and didn't.
        What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
          Sorry, IEP is Individual Education Plan. I have ADHD and slight Asperger's, the IEP was to help me get the attention I needed without putting me in special ed classes. Mrs. Epps was supposed to be taking care of me, and didn't.
          Dw, I knew what that was. Down here, we call them NEPs. Our uni training was MEANT to teach us how to write one among other things, but never got around to it >_<
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
          X