Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else thinking about Halloween?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
    I downloaded this one from the shelter website.
    Aw, pretty kitty! Gorgeous fur! Looks so soft, too.

I hope you two are very happy together.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Moogles View Post
      I'm going as Steampunk Batgirl, complete with gun/mask. Even the boots.

My second costume (for the adult party) is a steampunk Poison Ivy. Corset, peticoats. I have tights that have vines going up them :P
      Ooh love it! I love steampunk but I have nowhere to wear a costume
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        Aw, pretty kitty! Gorgeous fur! Looks so soft, too.

I hope you two are very happy together.
        It's seriously cute on Halloween. She stands near me when I answer the door. When she meows or moves the kids finally ask: Is that a real kitty?
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm going to dress up for Halloween as an excuse to wear the new corset I bought at the renaissance festival this year. I'm thinking of making it into a steampunk costume with knee-high boots, knickers*, frilly shirt, and some sort of hat. The accessories, of course, are what will really make it steampunk. I wonder where I can find some goggles cheap.

*As in capris, not undergarments. I have some with bronze buttons on the side that would work perfect. I'd consider wearing a skirt with it, but I'm sure I'd run the wheels of my chair over the hem.

Oh, this is going to be fun.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

I'm torn on what I should be this year, I'm 95% positive I'll be working that day, and we're allowed to dress up, as long as we don't wear a mask or slutty things. I kind of really want to be Fluttershy but I'm not sure how to go about doing the ears. My other option is the tenth Doctor (this was a friend's idea, she wants to get inside a refrigerator box and go as the TARDIS but I'm thinking she'll rethink that one!) but . . . I'm not sure I could find a pinstripe suit or what I'd do with my nearly 2 feet of hair. On the upside, the Doctor would finally be ginger. But yeah, really leaning towards Fluttershy.
            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I am not thinking of Halloween at all. We never do down here.

Why not?

Because we have FANTASY FEST! Which usually either overlaps Halloween or precedes it. In the first case, it just blends in with the rest of the festivities. In the second, we're all too worn out and costumed out to care.

Fantasy Fest is sort of a Mardi Gras/Halloween medley, with costumes, beads, body painting, nudity, drunkenness, drugs, frivolity, and insanity. And yes, even though this will be my sixteenth Fantasy Fest, I am not over it. I am not as revved up for it as I used to be in the first few, but I am also not as dismissive as I was 2-3 years ago.

Since Halloween is normally my favorite holiday, I love Fantasy Fest, as it gives me multiple opportunities for costuming. My personal record, which I doubt I'll ever break, was 10 costumes in 8 days.

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
              I'm either going to be a Weeping Angel...
              Gonna be touch to move around when everyone's looking at you...

Quoth fireheart View Post
              I doubt I'll be allowed to dress up at work
              Weak!

One of the benefits of working in a bar in Key West during such events is that most places not only allow, but actively encourage the employees to dress up. In some cases, they even mandate the type of costume said employees may wear. For example, one day each year of Fantasy Fest, we at The Bar must dress up in pirate costumes for our pirate ball.

Of course, since this is a job, some costumes are not allowed. Generally the risqué ones or the ones that would be impractical to work in. (I never wear my sword with my pirate costume behind the bar, because it's Not Plastic.)

This year I'm gonna be a pretty princess! Cuz I've been a zombie more often than not the last few years (last year i didn't get to dress up at all) and I haven't been a princess since I was a little girl.
              Combine them. Go as.....a Zombie Princess!

Quoth patiokitty View Post

Last year I was a zombie Subway worker! I still had my old One year my son and I went out as a couple of Musketeers, complete with swords. That got us both candy even though I'd only dressed up for shits and giggles.
              Sweet! One year when my niece Bug was much younger, I went trick or treating with her, her in her costume, me in my Court Jester costume, and her mom hanging out in the wings. Well, people took one look at Bug and I, and just laughed their asses off...and gave us both candy. And many presumed I was Bug's father, with Bug's mother, uncostumed, just standing off on the sidewalk, waiting for us. Quite amusing.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Though...speaking of Halloween...I saw a maternity tshirt earlier that says "No, I didn't steal a pumpkin"
              Classic!

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
              My husband says I have to wait until 6 weeks before Halloween to start decorating.
              Tell him *I* said he's wrong.

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
              I actually have a halloween party to go to this year - so I have to get a good costume. I'm currently drawing a blank.
              So go as a blank! The blank tile from Scrabble, perhaps. Or maybe Martin Blank from the movie Gross Pointe Blank.

Quoth Tama View Post
              But where would I go?
              Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I have nowhere to wear a costume
              Go wherever. Why do you need a destination? Just get dressed up and wander around. Go out, have fun!

Quoth Tama View Post
              I can't wear a mask in public as it is illegal in my state to do so if you are over 16 years of age.
              Say WHAT?!? Get the fuck out! Seriously? Where the hell are you? And how can they do that?!?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I've been thinking about Halloween, but I can't really make any definite plans yet. My husband is currently working days, but he might or might not be back to working on 2nd shifts on Halloween.

So far the tentative plan is that if he's still on day shifts, we'll buy the kids costumes and take them out trick or treating after work. We'd also like to dress up too, if we have the extra money.

If he's back on 2nd shifts, then the plan is to take the kids to a Halloween activity or two.Our local park does "Halloween Nights" throughout September and October, the zoo and two amusement parks also do events, my husband also might try and get the night off, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

The plan HAD been to do Disney Princesses with my friend, but not anymore. I still don't have a job, but I feel like I will probably end up working, if not on Halloween, the day where the bars have their parties. Plus I don't have the time or money to make the costume, and ordering one will be over 200 dollars. Which I definitely don't have.

I should probably think of a back up plan.
                  Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                  Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                    I should probably think of a back up plan.
                    There's always thrift stores. Savers / Value Village usually has a very good selection of costumes, props, makeup, etc. at reasonable prices. Or you can dig through the racks and make your own. Red flannel shirt + suspenders + cap with ear flaps + blue jeans + boots + women's lingerie = Monty Python Lumberjack!
                    Last edited by XCashier; 09-14-2013, 03:30 AM.
                    My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      There's always thrift stores. Savers / Value Village usually has a very good selection of costumes, props, makeup, etc. at reasonable prices. Or you can dig through the racks and make your own. Red flannel shirt + suspenders + cap with ear flaps + blue jeans + boots + women's lingerie = Monty Python Lumberjack!
                      As I'm a girl I don't know if the joke would work as well. Though remind me someday to tell you about my brother's AMAZING rendition of the Lumberjack song. I wish I had video.
                      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        There's always thrift stores. Savers / Value Village usually has a very good selection of costumes, props, makeup, etc. at reasonable prices.
                        This. I was in there the other day (scored a beautiful dress) and they had a whole section dedicated to REALLY good Halloween costumes...most of which were adult ones as well as kids. (although there was one-the In-A-Pickle costume which made me go )

I'm actually planning further down the track on getting hold of a Sumomo (from Chobits) costume...except for the fact that I wouldn't be allowed to wear it at work (despite the overall chaste love theme of the series, the number of sexual innuendos put it squarely in the "no" category)
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Yes, I'm thinking about Halloween. Considering where I work, that can't be helped. While we're not allowed actual costumes, we are allowed to make holiday-themed aprons with the fabric sold there.
                          Update: they're letting us wear costumes on the two weekends before Halloween and Halloween itself, as long as we bought the costumes or the fabric to make the costumes from the store. Oh, and it has to be G-rated, you have to be able to work in it and no covering up the face. So yay, costume time!

I'm quite sure my SCA garb will pass muster. One of my coworkers suggested we all wear a theme costume, suggested pirates. Wouldn't take much to alter my garb into pirate wear.

Yay, this will be fun!
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

My son wanted to be Kirby and Prince Fluff (we always coordinate). These are basically sandwich boards (there are straps on the bacl to go over our arms) but he is thrilled with them. He will be Kirby and I will be Prince Fluff. They are a little awkward as they are quite large.

MOD NOTE - Image resized out of courtesy to members. Click on image to enlarge.

Last edited by Ree; 10-05-2013, 01:31 AM. Reason: Resized image
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Looks like my costume is going to be a gothic Lolita style getup this year. It sorta accidentally happened when I kept picking up pieces here and there. I found a tutu and a top hat with a bushy black veil billowing out behind it, and a jacket with a fluffy lacy bustle-y back at Hot Topic. Just need some hosiery to go with it and possibly a new pair of shoes and I'm set.

Comment

Halloween isn't really followed in New Zealand, to be perfectly honest, a lot of the people here seeing it as an "american" tradition -.-''

I know back when I was a child a good 20 or so years ago, my sister and I used to go trick or treating, but these days it is not uncommon to see houses with signs on their doors reading "trick or treaters not welcome"

That being said, I'm trying to organise an event at work for Halloween since we have had a new game released, I'm using Halloween as an excuse to release the new game and hopefully get some more people in the door.
                                Violets are blue,
                                Roses are red,
                                I bequeath to thee...
                                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                                X