This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those with Wii Consoles HELP!

So I'm going to be a tad retro and purchase a Wii. This is partially because of the fact that I've wanted one for AGES, but also because my family is going to host a party in a month or so and there will be kids there. I've found that my old PS2 doesn't quite cut it in the games department anymore, so I'm planning on something designed for family play

Which now begs the question...what games would be good? The kids are under 12 (at last count). At this stage I'm not sure if it'll be a plain old Wii or a family edition one (the Wii Mini is nonexistent in Aussieland). So far I can only think of Wii Party, Wii Play and one of the Mario Party games (not 9) anyone else have any ideas?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Super Monkey Ball is pretty fun for kids and adults. And the Wii comes with Wii Sports, which is for everyone as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I think they'd enjoy Just Dance and anything along those lines.

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
        I think they'd enjoy Just Dance and anything along those lines.
        Yeah I reckon they would too.

Any good racing games?

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          Yeah I reckon they would too.

Any good racing games?
          it's a nintendo system and you ask that? MARIO KART.
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a great 4 player game. Features pretty much the entire cast of Nintendo iconic characters and some others in an all out beat em up style game.

Comment

Lego games! Those are all two player. But they have Harry Potter, Batman, Star Wars, Lord of the rings, and some other stuff.
              No, Buzz. I AM your hotdog in pajamas!
              sewingwithmermer.wordpress.com

Comment

For them...Brawl, Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play are all multi kid compatible with nothing scary or questionable. ExciteTruck was pretty decent as well, but I don't remember if you could have more than 2 players.

Dragon Warrior Swords is a single player RPG but it's often very silly and would also be suitable for a younger player. Fire Emblem is decent, but IIRC just about every FE starts out with having to decide which of your starting party will sacrifice themselves to let the others escape, and it's not a mindfuck, so a bit less kid friendly. Still an excellent game. Twilight Princess was of course superb, but again, might be a little much for a younger kid. The controls could occasionally be frustrating.

The second games are more aimed at you, with the assumption they might be interested but most likely not.
                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

The ones I'm planning on eventually getting for me are pretty much fitness games and one or two actual rpg or similar type games.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    Any good racing games?
                    Quoth gremcint View Post
                    it's a nintendo system and you ask that? MARIO KART.
                    She asked for good racing games.

Heh. Mario Kart is good as long as you don't mind that the AI blatantly cheats.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution is a good game and can be found cheap if you like good fighting games. Almost 30 characters, each with unique fighting style and special moves that are easy to learn. New Super Mario Bros. is a great multiplayer game. And don't forget the Wii Shop Channel! There are some great WiiWare games multiplayer. Top Shot Arcade is a fun game for multiple players as well--you can either take turns and compete for top score, or play at the same time. And these days, it's very cheap.

Comment

Wii Music is quite amusing; it's MCeed by the same weird guy who does Wii Party (which is utterly fantastic and will keep you occupied for hours!) and might teach the kidlets a little bit about instruments and the concept of classical/sixties.

There are two Wii Plays: Wii Play and the newer one Wii Play Motion. Both are good and fun, but I like Motion best - although you will need Wiimote Pluses to play it because as the name suggests it relies a lot on the greater sensitivity of movement. I love the stone skimmer game and wind riding needs to be a sport!! ^^

Wii Fit is bright and colourful and unoffensive - things I like for a fitness game. Wii Sports is just the same, especially Sports Resort (which also needs Wiimote Plus) set on the same place as Fit and includes a plane-flying mode which lets you explore the island. The first time you put Sports Resort in it plunges you straight into the Skydiving game, which ends with one of the best exiciting intros I've seen - I still love it!!

Yes I like these simple games waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. I'm only considering getting a WiiU now I know some games of this collection are coming out on it!! (Fit U, Party U!)

The more Miis you make, the more they will show up in all these games. They will have expressions and movement and mostly they will keep the colour you give them. Make loads but be sure you can easily identify which Mii is who (I made family and friends as well as a selection of my fictional characters who are more distinctive) so you can yell HIIII at the screen when you're jogging around the living room...
                        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

OK, will keep these in mind. Thanks guys

Depending on whether there's a max number or not, I might let the kiddies make their own Miis. Will definitely be making one for me, my sister and my boyfriend at the minimum . If the MC for Wii Music is the same guy I'm thinking of.... (looks/sounds like a muppet? Have been watching the Let's Plays done by TheRunawayGuys of Wii Party and been cracking up laughing)

Wii Music and Wii Play (for some reason I thought they were the same game) were definitely going on my list, will possibly consider Wii Party.

There's a chain of pawn shops near my house and my partners house and they are selling a number of the aforementioned games super-cheap, so I'll be going there. (there are laws in my state which require games to be of a "sellable" condition and this chain tests all their stuff thoroughly as well)

I ended up rehashing over my decision and luckily there's a bundle set available near my house which consists of a console, controller + nunchuck, Mario Kart and the Wheel that goes with it. It's the family edition, so the only issue is that I can't play GameCube games, but it's a minor issue. Am definitely going Virtual Console though-Mario Party 2 is definitely on the list.
                          I can get a 2ndhand controller + nunchuck (and will test them) and will probably end up borrowing 1-2 more controllers from my boyfriend.

Wii Fit is going to be one for me in my spare time...I'm not too keen on the game giving you a BMI rating at the beginning, but the fact that there are so many variations on the actual Fitness game itself is going to help. They even have Zumba (watch me dancing around naked in a bikini in the loungeroom at some point...). Plus, the balance board won't break on me

Comment

If you are looking for a good cheap racing game Excite Truck is a strong option.
                            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Also recommending Smash Brothers. The Mario Super Sluggers is also a fun baseball game. Wii Music isn't really a game, more a musical toy box that gets excruciatingly annoying after the first few times. I can't support that recommendation.

Something to keep in mind. The Wii can also play GameCube games. Just need a GameCube memory card and a controller or two. Those, and the games, are dirt cheap nowadays.
                              Last edited by Zapper; 09-15-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X