Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my two cents - last time I bought shoes I went in to a sporting store with some pretty specific issues and hopes for the best. I'm overweight and need a wider shoe, plantar fasciitis, and a right knee and ankle that are troublesome to say the least. After going through a ton of shoes, I ended up with a pair from Ahnu. Had never heard if them before, but they rock like I had no idea shoes could. They are high priced - I paid $130 for my pair although some pairs are less - but the support and comfort are worth it.

Comment

I don't know if these exist in the US, but there's a line called Ascent that make what I like to call "formal" sneakers. That is, they're black leather sneakers, rather than dress shoes. Maybe consider this as a possibility?

http://www.theathletesfoot.com.au/as...pex-wide-black

They're usually marketed to high school students who are required to wear these.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
        Just my two cents - last time I bought shoes I went in to a sporting store with some pretty specific issues and hopes for the best. I'm overweight and need a wider shoe, plantar fasciitis, and a right knee and ankle that are troublesome to say the least. After going through a ton of shoes, I ended up with a pair from Ahnu. Had never heard if them before, but they rock like I had no idea shoes could. They are high priced - I paid $130 for my pair although some pairs are less - but the support and comfort are worth it.
        Oooh...I bought a pair of their hiking shoes and loved them. Hard to find in stores, though, at least in my area. Was not a fan of their waterproofing though. (So much wet... >.<)
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
          Oooh...I bought a pair of their hiking shoes and loved them. Hard to find in stores, though, at least in my area. Was not a fan of their waterproofing though. (So much wet... >.<)
          Yeah - it was a pair of the hiking shoes that I ended up with. They were a lot lighter than I would have thought, and my ankle loves the extra support while walking. After the hit or miss of buying at regular places, I broke down and went to REI and let them help me figure out the best shoe for my needs.

Comment

For those who are wondering, yes, the choices down here are severely limited for buying sneakers. Champs. Foot Locker. Sears. K-Mart. Ross. And the last two have crap, crap, and more crap. (Down here. Not commenting on the chains as a whole.) oh, and Payless. Meh.

Quoth fireheart View Post
            I don't know if these exist in the US, but there's a line called Ascent that make what I like to call "formal" sneakers. That is, they're black leather sneakers, rather than dress shoes. Maybe consider this as a possibility?
            Leather? In a restaurant environment? I'm thinking not a great idea. Very protective, I'm sure, but also I would wonder about the breatheability of such a shoe in the tropical climate I live in.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

http://www.crocs.ca/crocs-mens-hover...twear-sneakers

I know you said you wouldn't try crocs. That's why I included the link above to show you that not all crocs look as ugly as the clogs.

Those are work shoes, and they look just like sneakers. No gaudy emblems.

I work in a grocery store, and I'm on my feet 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I tried every kind of black shoe there was, and within a week, I was hobbled as well. Didn't matter if they were wal mart specials with dr scholls inserts, or 200 dollar walking shoes. Within a week, I was unable to walk at the end of my shift.

Until, in desperation, I tried these. I bought them, since my other shoes had fallen apart at work. I bought them, put them on, and went to work. (no breaking in period!)

For the first time in 13 years of working, my feet were not sore at the end of the day. I'm serious. I could have gone for a 5 mile hike after work, that's how good my feet felt!

I've had this pair for over a month now. Of mopping floors, dropped food, walking, standing, etc. They look like I just bought them, and they are just as pain free as well.

I agree, regular crocs look...weird. But you might have to admit, these dont look that bad. And they work.

Comment

and they sell online as well. with an amazing return policy.

They are an investment, but it's worth it, in my opinion

Comment

There is a Crocs store downtown. I will begrudgingly check it out, and check those out if they carry them. Because you are right, they don't look a thing like the ridiculous clogs. And, while they are not my preferred style, they aren't horrible looking either, as so many work shoes are.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Going to chime in yet again for New Balance sneakers. They have all-black ones that are acceptable for work (well, unless your boss is exceptionally snooty ) and multiple widths. Comfy and supporting.

Comment

I wear New Balance shoes and love them. The ones I get for work typically last a year for me. Just make sure you're properly fitted. Your shoe size can change over time.
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I used to be a big fan of Nike but their shoes are so narrow I switched to New Balance. I prefer the NB 608 crosstrainers. They're available in white, black and brown. I actually prefer Propet over all else. I've never seen Propet in stores but then I don't shop in stores. I've bought them from shoebuy.com and I've had great luck with everything Propet and shoebuy.com.
                        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I've done the whole work shoes/non-work shoes, and it's a royal pain in my ass to lug an extra set of shoes around.
                          The good thing about having work shoes/non-work shoes is that they work better and last longer: the "decompression" and airing out time respectively. There's no way to stash your work shoes at work somewhere w/o them getting stolen, being unavailable, or (in my case, not yours...) stinkin' up the joint? (Fellow bicyclist here, as you probably remember, and I find it really handy to have shoes at work on occasion.)

Comment

When I worked on the train this summer, I bought a pair of Merrels. They were a bit pricy but so worth it when I made it through 102 hours in six days with my feet only being a little tired. (Shifts on the train average between 14 and 20 hours depending on the day)
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

If you're serious about shoe-shopping in Phoenix, my best shoes come from REI, Paradise Valley. The staff is pretty helpful with recommendations; I love the shoes they suggested for my summer trips to Miami. I usually end up buying Vibram and Merrel, but I honestly don't know how long they last... six years and counting.

Comment

Seems like I won't have to wait for Phoenix for new sneakers. A coworker mentioned last night that the local Sears was having a killer sale in general, and on shoes as well, including name brands. So today, I went down there.

Found three pairs I liked.

Skechers Sport. Even tightly laced, they felt too loose on my feet. That left two.

Fila low top basketball shoes, which felt absolutely great, and looked the best out of all three, or New Balance cross trainers. These felt sturdier, but also heavier. Which might mean more durable, I thought. So, uncertain how to proceed, I punted, and asked the shoe department girl.

She said, as many of you did, that th NB ones were the better ones in general, and specifically for my needs. Both pairs were on sale, the Filas being ten dollars less.

I went for the NBs. $53 and change after tax, highly recommended by you folks and her, worn by many in my industry (probably for a reason), and while they have a heavy feel, very, very comfy. And less than half the price of the Asics I have that are falling apart.

Sweet!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X